• March 24, 2019, 03:10:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Transfer question  (Read 172 times)

Offline vicki1971

Transfer question
« on: March 05, 2019, 12:45:54 PM »
I have a question.  My son put in a transfer request back in December and I know that IA has approved it but I know that Springfield still has to approve it.  How long does that usually take for them to approve or deny a request?  My son has asked his counselor about it a few times, but she is not really much help, just says she hasn't heard anything yet.  He wants to get into schooling and substance abuse treatment because they really don't have much as far as programs where he is at.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline tjade

Re: Transfer question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 02:10:35 PM »
Hi Vicki. Sorry, I can't answer the question, I'm kind of new to this, but it sounds like my husband is experiencing something similar.
He put in an application in December after his counselor said he qualified for Kewanee. He wants to get drug/alcohol treatment which the judge recommended. His counselor just says she hasn't heard anything.
Can I ask what IA is?

Offline kristyski1

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 04:05:57 PM »
The process to transfer to Kewanee is completely different than any other place. Once you have approval for transfer, you are put into a lottery system.  The computerized system randomly chooses from those qualified to transfer in the pool. Someone waiting 3 days is as likely to be chosen as someone waiting a year. Thereís nothing you can do to better your chances, or speed up the process. My loved one has been eligible for transfer to Kewanee since September, if I remember correctly. Someone on his deck was approved for transfer at the same time and was transferred within two weeks. Itís definitely random who gets to go. I talked to the assistant warden in Kewanee when he applied. She was very nice, but really doesnít have any control over who gets chosen.

Offline ERwife

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 04:08:27 PM »
I'm sorry I can't answer the question about transfer times and processes. But, my husband is in Kewanee and from what he says they are getting people in every week. However, the application process can be a little long because there are so many applications. We waiting almost 6 months. Also,  Keep in mind that the facility isn't as big as other facilities either. Good luck to you and your LO.

Offline tjade

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 05:35:44 PM »
Thanks for explaining about Kewanee. I didn't know it was a lottery system. I guess he'll have to be patient and see how it goes.

Offline kristyski1

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 09:26:59 PM »
I definitely will say a prayer. My LO will be home sometime in the next 6 months, so I know weíre past our opportunity to go. Iíll definitely hope the best for you!