• February 20, 2019, 10:29:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: VISITING EAST MOLINE  (Read 110 times)

Offline QueenC2013

VISITING EAST MOLINE
« on: January 28, 2019, 01:40:56 PM »
My husband is being transferred to East Moline & I have a question about the visiting room there? What are the tables like? Are they handicap accessible? Is there a play area for children? Are visits 4 hours? Also, do we have to wait outside long before being able to go in? How long is the walk from the gate to the entry? (trying to decide if a wheelchair is needed or if the visitor can just use their cane?)

Offline kristyski1

Re: VISITING EAST MOLINE
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:44:12 PM »
The visiting room is an uphill walk from the gate. It’s a good 1/2 a block. They do have handicap accessible tables. If you bring a wheel chair, it is a major haul to push uphill.  The hill is steep. You can get a handicap van for the person in the wheelchair only to ride up, but you will need a doctor order. In the summer it’s freezing cold in the visiting room. It’s been ok this winter. You are allowed 7 visits a month, but only 2 can be on weekends. They are very strict with the dress code. They are very strict about kissing, hugging, holding hands. You can kiss them and hug them once when they come in and when they leave. You can hold hands, but we were reprimanded once because he was rubbing his thumb on the back of my hand. Be prepared for your visit to be cut to 2 hours if you go on a weekend. It happens almost every time I go on the weekend. Most of the staff are friendly and helpful. Some of them, not so much. There doesn’t seem to be an in-between.

Offline kristyski1

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:47:24 PM »
As far as waiting outside, there’s a heated “bus stop” to wait in, but the intercom system doesn’t work. So, they can’t see you and won’t know you’re there unless someone waits outside until you’re seen. We’ve waited anywhere between 5 and 45 minutes to an hour to get in.

Offline QueenC2013

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 03:00:15 PM »
Thank you for responding. I have an infant so I pray we will not have to wait outside very long.
We had tables where he sits up high & the seats where the vistors sit are lower & they were very uncomfortable & people were actually falling because they were unsafe. I was wondering how the tables were in East Moline?

Offline kristyski1

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 03:16:19 PM »
The same. They sit on a high seat on one side and there are four stools lower on the other side. I forgot to mention, there is no play area for children either.

Offline QueenC2013

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 03:18:25 PM »
Well, that sounds uncomfortable  :wc5: :wc96:

Offline kristyski1

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 03:24:28 PM »
They’re really uncomfortable.