• February 20, 2019, 10:28:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Possible parole violation  (Read 398 times)

Online Meami

Re: Possible parole violation
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 10:35:13 PM »
Sorry to hear this 3tenjen- in the case of my LO, it was half the time left on his original sentence - from the date that he was arrested. So in your case it would translate to a year from when he re-entered the system.

Offline 3tenjen

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 12:05:24 AM »
Ok interesting. So the year left on his original 2 year sentence heíd do 6 months then? Then heíd gone out without parole?
And yes-very sorry to hear about this too-Iím heartbroken. He just came home Xmas eve. His demons are strong, and if he doesnít address them head on and heal from within heíll never outgrow this lifestyle. Thanks for replying! Weíre very unsure of what Iíd going to happen and wonít know til he gets turned into Menard and waits the 30-45 days to see the board.

Offline blickly

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 12:43:15 PM »
3tenjen, sorry to hear about your situation. i have a question if you know that answer!  you state that it will take him 30 to 45 days to see the board, is that dead time? time that dont count towards his sentence?

Offline 3tenjen

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 01:29:00 PM »
No it counts as time served, but itís in receiving and theyíre locked down basically 24 hours with zero privileges when they go in on a parole violation. Itís horribke.

Offline blickly

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 02:08:13 PM »
so if i understand everyone correctly, - my lo was sentenced to 18 months. out after 9 with 1 year parole.. if he is violated he will do 4.5 months on a parole violation? (half of the 9 remaining months?)

Offline 3tenjen

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2019, 02:22:55 PM »
I do not believe this to be the case, my LO has never seen the scenario above. Normally you do 50% of the parole time if violated. But I really donít know and am hoping to find some more answers here.

Offline blickly

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2019, 08:23:07 PM »
50% of the total parole time or... 50% of the parole time remaining when violated? 

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2019, 08:05:14 AM »
50% of the total parole time or... 50% of the parole time remaining when violated?

Ok Iíll try to explain this to you. If he has 12 months parole to do, and was out 1 month that means he has 11 months parole time to serve. If the parole board violates him and he has to do the rest of his 11 month parole sentence it would be cut in half. So 50% of his parole time that he has left would be served.

Hope that helps!!

Offline blickly

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2019, 09:11:07 AM »
Gizgirl, thank you .. now that makes sense....  so and to clairfy, if he sits waiting to see parole board in statesville (R&C?) for say 30 days.. that goes towards the 11 months or the cut in 1/2 time?

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2019, 09:16:59 AM »
No two cases are the same. The parole board evaluates everything. Itís hard to say what will happen. Unfortunately you will have to wait and see what the board says. Each member on the parole board is different so there could be several different outcomes depending on who your LO goes in front of.

I know the not knowing is the hardest just hang in there.

Offline blickly

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2019, 10:52:33 AM »
And if hes violated, once he does the additional time and gets released again, there is no more parole after that?

Offline 3tenjen

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2019, 05:11:04 PM »
So Gizgirl hereís my scenario and question if you donít mind :) he has four years parole. Did 50% of a two year sentence, got released with the 4 years parole. Is now going to be violated. How much time will he do? Can they make him do two years even though the total of his original sentence was 2 years? If he has to do hakf the parole time he is essentially going to be locked up a total of 3 years on a two year sentence. Can that happen?

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2019, 05:52:14 PM »
There are two parts to a sentence.  One is the portion that the inmate has to do on the inside (in custody) and the other is the inmates time he has to do while on parole(supervised release).   

Look up the offender on the IDOC web site and you will see two dates
Projected Parole Date and Projected Discharged Date

The Projected Parole Date is the date the offender has to remain incarcerated or in custody in a prison.
This date depends on the sentence and the charge.  For example if an inmate is sentenced for 5 years on a 50% charge he or she will have to do 2.5 years in custody.  An inmate that is sentenced to 5 years on a 85% charge will have to do 4.25 years in custody.  The time in custody includes any jail time before admitted to prison. The projected parole date can be moved up if the offender is eligible and receives programming good time and discretionary good time.

The second part of the sentence is the time spent on parole or mandatory supervised release)
This portion of the sentence is set by state law and it depends on the charge.  Parole usually ranges from 1 year, 2 years, 4 years for a domestic charge and life for a Sex offender.  Once released from custody you have to serve the parole portion of your sentence supervised by a parole agent.  There are terms and conditions of your parole that one has to follow.  If you violate these conditions you can be sent back to prison to serve out the remainder of the parole sentence in custody.  So of you have a 2 year parole for a drug charge and you test dirty after being out you can be sent back to serve out the remainder of your parole at either 50% or 85% or what ever the original charge multiplier was.  I believe they can also revoke the good time you were awarded but not sure about that.  Also things get complicated for a SO so it is best to check with the Parole agent or an attorney.

Once you are discharged you are finished with the criminal justice system and give them a big kiss good bye.

I know of individuals that have received a 4 year domestic abuse charge with a 4 year MSR or parole and decided to stay incarcerated and earn good time and get discharged after less than spending 4 years in custody. Otherwise they can spend 2 year in custody and 4 years on parole.  Its the game you want to play.

I hope this helps

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2019, 12:33:11 PM »
And if hes violated, once he does the additional time and gets released again, there is no more parole after that?

If they violate him and he has to do the remainder of his parole time he will be off parole. He will still have to do whatever he has to do for his SO though.