• March 20, 2019, 09:08:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: TV Warranty  (Read 384 times)

Offline nhealey

TV Warranty
« on: December 28, 2018, 06:58:23 PM »
I'm trying to help my LO and I could really use some input from others.  Here's the situation...

January of this year my LO purchased a television at Stateville.  At the time of his purchase the warranty was for 1 year.  That warranty expires January 25, 2019.  That warranty stated after 6 months if there were problems with the television and it needed to be repaired he would need to provide a $50 voucher for the tv to be sent out.  A couple of weeks ago the TV stopped working.  He filled out the necessary paperwork including the money voucher.  Since that time the television has been sitting in the property room.  I called and spoke to the man who works in the property room.  He told me that in October or November of this year the warranty policy changed to cover only 6 months after date of purchase and because of that he would not send the tv out to be repaired. 

There's a problem with this because the warranty that applies in this case is the warranty that was in effect at the time of the purchase.  A revised warranty issued 10 months after a product is purchased does not apply; not according to consumer protection laws.  He is grandfathered in to the original warranty which provides service up to a year from the date of purchase. 

Am I completely wrong in thinking this way?  Is there an angle that I'm not considering?  What can I do to help him get this resolved?  There's also a time issue here.  The 1 year warranty is up January 25th.  The longer that TV sits there, the shorter amount of time there is to get it resolved.   His counselor is completely useless and isn't even responding to any of his kites.  Any advice would be really appreciated.  I need to get someone to listen and make some kind of effort to help and that's proving to be a tremendous challenge.
 :wc94:

Offline Martha

Re: TV Warranty
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 09:39:02 PM »
I hope someone is able to help you and give you some answers. I know how frustrating it is for a l/o to be in prison and to try to get SOMEONE there to help. So many times my answer is “nobody cares”.  I can’t believe the incompetence of some people in their workplace and how poorly some institutions are run.

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 09:36:23 PM »
I would send a letter to the warden.

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 02:11:14 AM »
Contact in ate issues in springfield
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline nhealey

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 08:54:39 AM »

Thank you I will try this.  My LO said the warden is a man named Williams but the IDOC says it's Nicholson.  Does anyone know Warden Williams first name? 

Offline nhealey

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 08:55:53 AM »
Contact in ate issues in springfield

OK thanks.  I have done that just now through their website.  Fingers crossed it works.

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 05:13:28 PM »
Walter Nicholson

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 10:34:51 PM »

Thank you I will try this.  My LO said the warden is a man named Williams but the IDOC says it's Nicholson.  Does anyone know Warden Williams first name? 
Each prison has 3 wardens
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline willied

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 08:43:43 PM »
From willied
TV WARRANTY    Hopefully, by now someone has been able to assist with your L/O’s TV situation.    Unfortunately, I don’t have an answer – but I am concerned because I just had to buy one.  What I do suggest is that everyone reading IPT with a friend or L/O under IODC care (?) e-mail Gov. Pritzler, members of his newly  announced  “Restorative Justice and Safe Communities Committee”, and the incoming Attorney General.  (Names and E-mail addresses at the end of this note.)
Forward some or all of the following with your thoughts.

For years the perception of Springfield “management” (?) has been “NO ONE IS RESPONSIBLE”  “NO ONE CARES”. Under current Director Baldwin, that has filtered down to IDOC locations. Writing Director Baldwin, Springfield “management” (?) or a local warden won’t help.  They are the problem, not the solution.

The issue here is TV Warranty – and the lack of a ‘consistently’ applied warranty.(ref: IPT Re: TV Warranty of Dec. 28, 2018, 06:58:23 PM). A TV is a major expense to an inmate and a major source of information and entertainment.  The current 15” flat screens being sold (particularly “Clear Tunes”) are in a word “junk”. They are poorly designed (base/pedestal and control buttons) and have proven to be unreliable. Two areas should be investigated:
 Warranty.  Because of the unreliability of these sets, the base warranty should be 1 year full replacement; in months 13-24 , a repair service should be available at a reasonable cost. The Attorney General and his staff should investigate the legality of IDOC facilities  making changes to the warranty after the TV was purchased. Charges should be brought for illegal activities.
Price.  The Attorney General’s office needs to investigate why a TV worth approx. $50 without a speaker or remote control, is being sold for $200+ dollars. Don’t tell us it’s “special” because of the clear case. Its not. Almost all correctional departments in the U.S. buy the sets, so they are produced by the 10’s of thousands.(How many does IDOC alone buy each year?)
An additional comment was counselors being “useless”. At many facilities they are. A number of counselors come from the ranks of the CO. they were predisposed to offer as little assistance as possible.
We can hope that incoming Gov. Pritzler, abd his appointees, and committees will have the backbone to change our perception. BE RESPONSIBLE AND ACTUALLY CARE.

Gov. Pritzler, members of his newly  announced  “Restorative Justice and Safe Communities Committee”, and the incoming Attorney General.
Gov Pritzler
Kim Foxx, Co-chair
Jehan Gordon-Booth Co-chair
Robin Kelly Co-chair
Jennifer Vollen-Katz JHA
Paula Wolff Illinois Justice Project
Attorney General Kwame Raoul

from willied

Respectfully

William Oliver Deere

Offline Martha

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 03:15:30 AM »
I don’t see any addresses.

Offline willied

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 11:58:24 AM »
I am searching to find them. The state of Illinois is a little less than forthcoming in publishing email addresses of elected and appointed officials.  If you happen to know of any, please feel free to help.      willied

Respectfully

William Oliver Deere

Offline willied

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 06:42:43 PM »
Here are the addresses i could find.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

eGov Pritzker ,
jbpritzker@aol.com,

Kim Foxx, Co-chair attyfoxx@msn.com,

Jehan Gordon-Booth Co-chair

jehanalea@yahoo.com,
 Attorney General Kwame Raoul
kwameraoul@aol.com,

info@iljp.org,
 Jennifer Vollen-Katz JHA    jvollen@thejha,org

William Oliver Deere willied1962x@gmail.com

Paula Wolff and
 Robin Kelly 
NO EMAIL AVAIL
willied

Thank you
Respectfully
William Oliver Deere

Offline Skittles58

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 06:07:56 PM »
Thanks for info and contacts. I really hope Gov Pritzker turns idoc around. Maybe we should make a list of known problems and all of us email them.

Offline Martha

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 08:45:11 PM »
It’s worth a try. I believe in the power of just one letter. 😊