• March 20, 2019, 09:07:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: JHA  (Read 297 times)

Offline Meami

JHA
« on: December 09, 2018, 03:19:05 PM »
Has anyone here worked directly with JHA to discuss things that have happened to their l/o that are inappropriate, or violate their rights? There were a few things that occurred when my l/o was in NRC that do not sit well with me. When he told me over the phone I said I had read reports by this organization (couldn’t remember the name) but he knew it was JHA and actually said he thought about having me contact them while he was in NRC based on what happened. Just curious. Thanks

Offline trauma4us

Re: JHA
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 04:15:56 PM »
JHA does answer all mail from inmates. They work on system issues.

Offline Martha

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 07:46:02 PM »
What is JHA?  My l/o has had several things happen and I don’t know where or who to turn to. Prison is a horrible place and he and our family are very new to this.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 08:29:23 PM »
John Howard Association:

https://www.thejha.org/

The John Howard Association (JHA) is Illinois' only non-partisan prison watch dog and correctional policy organization.  JHA’s primary activities are:

Monitoring all of Illinois' prisons, both adult and juvenile
To monitor prison conditions and programs, JHA staff and volunteers tour every prison to observe, collect data, and talk to those who live and work inside the prisons. Our visits result in reports that inform the public, media, and law and policy makers about the issues inside Illinois’ prisons.

Advocating to improve the criminal justice and prison systems
JHA’s advocacy program includes: advancing legislative initiatives; serving on advisory
boards to Illinois correctional agencies; providing expert testimony to state and national legislative
and executive branch committees and commissions; and writing reports which promote policy
change by elected officials and state agency leaders. JHA is also frequently quoted in the media.

Providing targeted direct services to inmates and their families.
JHA’s targeted direct services program benefits inmates and their families in two different ways.

First, JHA has a Prison Reponse Unit that responds to approximately 4,000+ inquiries annually from inmates and families seeking help. This window into the lived realities of Illinois’ prisoners informs all of JHA’s work.

Second, JHA also runs Legal Literacy Clinics inside the Cook County Juvenile Temporary Detention Center (“JTDC”) to educate youth in pretrial detention facing adult criminal charges and their families about the criminal justice system and their legal rights in every stage of criminal proceedings. The clinics are taught by JHA staff and volunteer attorneys, and both the youth and their family members can submit legal questions to them and receive answers on an ongoing basis.

Together, JHA’s program areas provide a holistic view of the criminal justice and correctional systems in Illinois. We use our unique vantage point to be the eyes and ears of the public, which allows us greater exposure to and understanding of the issues, which enhances our ability to promote important change.

Offline Meami

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 12:39:33 AM »
Thanks trauma! I will work with my l/o to get a letter out. Although he’s much better than when at NRC, he is still in the midst of a manic episode and it’s hard to get all the facts clear. But I do have names of officers and nurses. One would think with the current lawsuits pending regarding mental health, IDOC would take the extra precautions to attend to the population in their worst locations to decrease the risk. I have done so much research over the last 2 months and it’s mind boggling and extremely discouraging. I don’t even know where to start to help but I will.  :wc20:

Offline willied

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 02:56:25 PM »
I have worked with  JHA in the past.  They have a Facebook Page and a website.  www.theJHA.org.  they will answer you in a prompt manner.  They do what they can.  Their hands are tied in what they can accomplish.  They take surveys and visit the various IDOC properties.     willied

Respectfully,

William Oliver Deere