• November 13, 2018, 10:28:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: C Grade and phone calls and visits  (Read 147 times)

Offline trauma4us

C Grade and phone calls and visits
« on: October 22, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »
So my son got an 11 day seg stay for a simple fight (versus assault). He is now on C grade for 30 days. My question:

Per the reg, it says restricted phone/visitation - is this up to the individual prison?  He's been in for 5 years and this is his first seg sentence.

Thanks....

Section 504.130  Demotion and Restoration in Grade

a)         Privileges shall be afforded to offenders assigned to correctional centers based upon their current grade, in the following manner:

1)         Offenders in "A" grade shall be eligible to receive all institutional privileges.  Newly admitted offenders shall be placed in "A" grade.

2)         Offenders in "B" grade shall be eligible to receive institutional privileges limited to medical, critical illness or funeral furlough; yard; limited commissary, not to exceed $30 per month; visits, excluding video visitation; and no more than two telephone calls per 30 day period.

3)         Offenders in "C" grade shall be ineligible to receive institutional privileges, except yard, restricted commissary and visits, excluding video visitation; however, audio-visual privileges may be restored if directed by the treating mental health professional.  An offender may only purchase from the commissary personal hygiene items and other items approved by the Chief Administrative Officer, based on the offender's institutional status, once each 30 day period while in "C" grade.  The 30 day period shall commence on the date of placement into "C" grade.

b)         Grade reductions shall be effective on the date the Chief Administrative Officer renders a decision, unless otherwise specified.

c)         An offender who has been demoted to "B" or "C" grade as a result of a disciplinary infraction shall be automatically promoted to the next highest grade at the expiration of the time period specified by the Adjustment Committee.

d)         An offender who has been demoted to "C" grade and automatically placed in "B" grade after expiration of the time period specified by the Adjustment Committee shall be required to spend the same time period in "B" grade as in "C" grade.  Upon expiration of this time period, the offender shall be restored to "A" grade.

e)         An offender may petition the Adjustment Committee for restoration in grade based upon the individual's good conduct and institutional record no more often than every 90 days.  The decision shall be provided to the offender in writing and, if denied, shall provide the factual basis for the denial.

(Source:  Amended at 41 Ill. Reg. 3869, effective April 1, 2017)

Offline pt1318

Re: C Grade and phone calls and visits
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 09:07:09 PM »
While on C grade they're not allowed to use the phone at all. I think they can have visits but they might be shorter than regular visits, not sure about that though. After his 30 days of C grade he'll be on B grade for another 30 days with only 1 or 2 calls allowed during that time. Sorry this has happened.
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 05:21:01 AM »
I'm so sorry trauma! Sometimes there's just no other choice. I've never heard of them
Not being allowed visits. Even while in seg they can have visits. It's only for one hour and they're behind glass and chained to the floor. I'm sure he can have visits but as already stated, it may be just a little shorter of one.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 06:14:12 AM »
Thanks everyone.

We did do a seg visit and at least at Taylorville they are allowed 2 visits per month for one hour and you must arrive by 12 noon because seg visits end at 1pm. My son was in the brown seg jumpsuit and handcuffed but no chains. Visits take place in the usual visiting room.

As to phone calls, he was allowed a 15 minute call yesterday and he said visits are okay. I will call today because I seem to remember someone saying no weekend visits while on C grade.

And yeah I'm disappointed that he got into a fight. However, I guess for the first one in 5 years, thats not too bad. (Gosh I never ever thought I would type that - lol. Of course, I never ever thought I would have to visit a prison either - oh well).

Thanks again

Offline pt1318

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 05:20:46 PM »
You're right, here's what the IDOC website says for Taylorville:

Rules for C Grade
Offenders in C Grade may receive visits from 8:30 a.m. 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. No weekend or state holiday visits permitted.

So it looks like the duration of the visit is the same but only weekdays. Glad he was able to call, normally they block the inmate's PIN number.
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 10:28:53 PM »
sorry to hear about the fight trauma4us the lack of activities leads to boredom which in turn leads to short tempers.   Hang in there your son is coming home soon.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 05:12:16 AM »
Thanks everyone. Yeah - its not the best but over the years I've learned to be thankful for the small things - at least he wasn't transferred, at least he wasn't hurt, you all know what I mean.