• November 13, 2018, 10:48:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Am I eligible for earned sentence credit aka programs or adult transiti?  (Read 223 times)

Offline kjonesj

Hi, so I am currently facing 4yrs @50% for class 2 theft. I have only ever been convicted of theft.  I have been incarcerated twice now. One term of 3yrs@50% and IIP. Am I eligible to for the SSC or any program credit this time around? The 3yr sentence I served in 2012, I received SSC and 15day credit for completing a life skills program. What are my options? Is there hope for me transferring to an adult transition center at least? Please help! Thanks.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
No SSC, you may still be eligible for schooling, you'll have to wait until you get into see on it all till you get in.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline 2cimdma

I'm currently in work release and have been here since April.  Yes you are eligible to receive good time for school, drug treatment, industry jobs. It no longer matters if you received good time before or how many times you've gone to prison. You are a 50% case so your good on that.  As far as the 6 months is concerned. Yea your eligible but they aren't really giving it out. Last year around November and December they handed a bunch out and we all got excited thinking it was back like it use to be(pre 2009).  But as quickly as it started it instantly stopped.  Since January I haven't seen many get it at all.  As for work release. This is the 5th time I've been to prison and I'm currently serving a 11yr sentence. I've been locked up since 2014. You can get work release if you have no violence in your background(even an arrest but not conviction can stop you), your not on psych meds, and you dont have any open cases or warrants out for you.  Also if you come to work release Crossroads in Chicago offers drug treatment and GED so you can earn good time while in work release.  If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I hope this helps ya.

Offline dzr

Re: Am I eligible for earned sentence credit aka programs or adult transiti?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 03:15:10 PM »
Are those serving 85% eligible for any sentencing credits? Are they allowed to go on a work release program? If so, will they be able to earn any sentence reductions thru the work release?

Offline 2cimdma

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 05:23:24 AM »
No 85% cases must serve 85% of their sentence.  Only 50% and 75% may earn good time credit. And 75% can only earn down to 60% of their sentence.  As far as ATC placement.  Just recently I have started to see 85% aggravated DUI cases coming to Crossroads ATC. So if your LO has that charge then he/she may have a chance. But ATC placement like everything in IDOC is random. One person with a certain case may get it while another with the same case may not. Also depends on what prison your LO is in and the counselor he/she has in that prison.  But whatever your LO does dont go off what other inmates say or what their counselor says and to put the application for work release in. I have personally seen inmates get told they can't get work release by their counselor so dont waste the time of putting the application in. But the inmate does and they get approved. Best advice is to stay positive and keep trying.  If he/she gets denied then have them wait 6 months and reapply.

Offline kjonesj

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 12:31:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it greatly! After going through R&C, how soon can I apply for work release? Is there a wait period or minimum amount of time I’ll have had to be serving before considered?

Offline dzr

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 10:48:05 AM »
Thank you for the reply. I assumed the 85% were not allowed any additional credit, but I HOPED that I was wrong! My LO is in Taylorville for aggravated dui & is hoping to get on work release. We keep hoping & praying that there will be some relief to the sentence and work release seems to be the only thing close to that.

Offline 2cimdma

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 08:17:49 AM »
I was in Taylorville too as well as the person I mentioned in my previous post which has the aggravated DUI.  So your LO does have a chance of getting to ATC.

As far as how long you have to be in the system before you can apply for ATC placement.  Its suppose to be 60 days.  You can apply for regular work release when you have 26 months left on your sentence to serve but cannot transfer there until you have 24 months.  But you can also apply for "permanent party" work release when you have 32 months left of your sentence but cannot transfer there until your at 30 months.

Also I happened to look up a friend of mine who I was at taylorville with.  He is serving 15yrs for a residential burglary and 5 yrs for a aggravated battery on a peace officer.  While we were in taylorville he was applying for Southweatern correctional so he could go do the drug program there. But he was repeatedly denied because of the battery charge.  However yesterday when I looked him up on the website I see that he was transferred to Peoria ATC.  So that just shows you that work release is becoming easier to get and just how random it is.