• December 13, 2018, 02:51:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: IPADS and Tablets??  (Read 300 times)

Offline willied

IPADS and Tablets??
« on: September 30, 2018, 07:50:37 PM »
Has any IDOC facility or location actually received IPADs or Tablets for inmate use? 
Are they in operation? 
If so what brand are they? 
What did they cost? 
Can they buy games, or just get music, or send and receive E-Mail?

willied

Thank you
William Oliver Deere

Offline trauma4us

Re: IPADS and Tablets??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 07:38:09 AM »
My son just purchased one at Taylorville - it cost approx $127.

The process at least for that prison:

1. Purchase the tablet
2. It then goes to get engraved and programmed (at the prison)
3. When it comes back then its ready to go. Wifi isn't connected yet so the guys have to use the kiosks. Once wifi is activated it will be much quicker.

Yes, they can purchase music with credits thru Connect-GTL.  You need an acct there. Also - it appears that Connect-GTL allows deposits for commissary too. I've always used JPAY (x5 years now) with auto-debit every month.

Offline willied

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 08:07:25 PM »
Thank you very much for the information.

Any place else besides Taylorsville?

willied

Thank you
William Oliver Deere

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 05:40:42 AM »
Most IDOC prisons have them now. The big hold up for the useability seems to be wi-fi. At the present time, Taylorville doesn't have the wifi set up in all the housing units so the guys have to go to a kiosk either in the dayroom or in the gym.

Once wifi is hooked up (which my son was told would be "soon") then it makes it a much quicker form of communication.

Offline ashleysiek

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 02:53:05 PM »
Does dixon offer them yet??

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 06:16:35 AM »
I don't know. You can probably call the prison and ask. At Taylorville, the company is Connect-GTL.

I know this company also does commissary payments and I have switched over from JPAY to Connect-GTL for my son's monthly "allowance" (sounds totally silly to say allowance for a grown man)...lol