Illinois Prison Talk
News: wc75-1  ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWN STATUS:

SHAWNEE ON LEVEL ONE LOCKDOWN. NO VISITS ALLOWED.
STATEVILLE ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2014, 05:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Illinois Prisons For Women  (Read 24688 times)
SMD

« on: February 04, 2007, 11:28:28 AM »

Decatur Correctional Center
 is the state's newest female-only prison. The  medium-security prison opened in 2000 and averages about 530 inmates who have committed a variety of crimes from drug possession to reckless homicide.

Lincoln Correctional Center
also was converted to serve mothers. The facility opened in 1984 to house male inmates but became a medium-security prison for females in 2000. It averages about 977 inmates.

Dwight Correctional Center
Illinois' third and oldest all-female prison, Opened in 1930 as a maximum-security prison, it now averages more than 1,000 inmates.

The prison receives female offenders from county jails and houses inmates who are in protective custody, on Death Row or in need of mental health services. It also houses a medical center for terminally ill and pregnant inmates.

"It was more a question of priorities," says Deanne Benos, assistant director of the Illinois Department of Corrections. "Do we want to spend tens of millions of dollars more a year to warehouse more men and women in prison, or do we want to invest that money on solutions to prevent crime in the first place and to make our communities safer?"

http://illinoisissues.uis.edu/features/2007jan/prison.html
rhondarenee

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 03:18:07 PM »

There is also a minimum security prison for women in Kankakee.
Bill
Mod Squad

"Stateville Speaks" ~ Publisher

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 05:57:52 PM »

Decatur Correctional Center
 is the state's newest female-only prison. The  medium-security prison opened in 2000 and averages about 530 inmates who have committed a variety of crimes from drug possession to reckless homicide.

Lincoln Correctional Center
also was converted to serve mothers. The facility opened in 1984 to house male inmates but became a medium-security prison for females in 2000. It averages about 977 inmates.

Dwight Correctional Center
Illinois' third and oldest all-female prison, Opened in 1930 as a maximum-security prison, it now averages more than 1,000 inmates.

The prison receives female offenders from county jails and houses inmates who are in protective custody, on Death Row or in need of mental health services. It also houses a medical center for terminally ill and pregnant inmates.

"It was more a question of priorities," says Deanne Benos, assistant director of the Illinois Department of Corrections. "Do we want to spend tens of millions of dollars more a year to warehouse more men and women in prison, or do we want to invest that money on solutions to prevent crime in the first place and to make our communities safer?"

http://illinoisissues.uis.edu/features/2007jan/prison.html

The March isuse of Stateville Speaks is devoted entirely to womens issues. I encourage all to read this issue. The women inDwight produce a newspaper entitled Can U hear Me  that  is outstandinng. The editor is Marilyn Lemak and maybe one could get a copy by requesting one from the Lemak. It is well worth reading.
Cathy

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 09:50:52 AM »

My Grandson and I went to Lincoln yesterday to visit my Daughter. She said it had really been noisy there lately. They were bringing in more beds to each dorm area to accomadate the overcrowding at Dwight. This is the first time that we had seen her since Feb. The staff there were very pleasant and helpful throughout the entire process of being there.
loving_Liz

My sweatheart LIZ

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 02:36:49 PM »

It has always been noisy at Lincoln.  Some officers are better at enforcing quiet time after 9:30 than others. I am not aware of a large scale increase in space at Linclon.  In the last few weeks they may have added a few more beds but it's not more than a few.  Lincoln too has their own inmate-managed publication that is quite enjoyabe to read. As far as staff goes, with the usual exception of a few, staff have always been cordial. In fact I went to the graduation last week and they went over and above to make sure both offenders and their families were welcomed and had a positive expirence.  The graduation was wondrfull.
Pages: 1   Go Up
Print
Jump to: