• December 18, 2018, 05:34:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Safer Foundation Chicago, Prisoner Re-entry  (Read 7280 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Chickie

• Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy
Re: Safer Foundation Chicago, Prisoner Re-entry
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 06:42:26 PM »
My "inmate" currently lives @ the safer foundation.  We like it...sometimes.  :-)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 07:01:11 PM »
Chickie, are they good with finding the guys work when they get out, or only a facility for them to stay at  during the  transitional period until they are paroled?

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Chickie

• Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 12:22:20 PM »
P already had his job lined up, so we do not have first hand experience with their job finding services.  But they do have job finding services.  They also help write resumes, and make them go to classes about how to dress/act/speak.  They also do an Interview workshop.

It is our understanding that when the inmate gets a job with a contracted company while staying at Safer, they are to relinquish the position on the day they are released.  However...the companies that have contratcs with Safer will hire that inmate once they have been paroled.  Once the inmate sees the PO and and gets all that taken care of they would be instructed to call that employer on what to do about the position.

They also make the inmate do community service, and it seems that a few inmates have acquired paying positions from the community service work they were doing.

Offline dancer

• Account Closed
  • Account Retired
Safer Foundation Employment Services for Ex-Offenders
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 04:30:31 PM »
They have offices both in Chicago and out of Chicago.  Saferfoundation.org
I will post more on them after I have read the report I printed out. 

Offline Gailvrice

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 07:35:52 PM »
If any of you have inmates who have participated or are participating in the educational programs (not job training, but basic education or GED programs) operated by Safer (e.g., in their YEP or Youth Empowerment Program for juveniles or at Crossroads ATC or Lawndale ATC), I'd be very interested in what they have to say about them.
Gail

Offline chi_rebelizer

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 11:43:08 PM »
Safer foundation is better than nothing. They don't help everybody. Violent offenders, especially sex offenders are virtually at the bottom of the list. Most of the jobs are low paying jobs. And statistically most people who get jobs through the Safer Foundation don't stay longer than 6 months.... I personally know there's a better way....but again its better than nothing....