• December 13, 2018, 02:48:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Info on NLPA  (Read 230 times)

Offline Lettiegonz

Info on NLPA
« on: September 09, 2018, 08:17:50 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of national legal professional associatation?
Would appreciate any feedback.
Thank so much
Where there is faith and prayers, MIRACLES happen.

Offline pt1318

Re: Info on NLPA
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 01:19:57 PM »
IMHO they're a huge waste of money, at least in our case they were. All they did is tell us what we already knew before we hired them. We should have hired a real lawyer right away instead of wasting time and money on NLPA.
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 03:28:50 PM »
I am not familiar with them.  But like PT stated you cannot underestimate the cost of a good defense attorney.  Of course they come with a price and issues themselves.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 07:30:11 PM »
When looking for a lawyer, interview them:

1.  Ask if they have handled your particular crime. In my sons case, he was charged with a violent Class X felony with a possible sentence of up to 60 years. He was in a small town and the small town lawyers had very little experience with this type of case.

2.  Be ready to interview lawyers: in our case, I talked with 5 lawyers. Price range for plea was between 5k-100k. No one wished to take it to trial.

3.  Make sure your lawyer knows the judge and is well liked and knows the ins/out of the particular court. This is especially important when dealing with small counties. Sometimes they will look sideways at you if you get a "big city" lawyer to come to their small county.

This is just my experience for what its worth....best wishes. Its a very stressful time.

Offline pt1318

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 10:47:45 AM »
They're not real attorneys, I think the case workers might be paralegals but I'm not even sure about that. They can't represent you or file any motions etc. on your behalf. So you would still have to hire an actual attorney anyway and all NLPA would do is basically assist your lawyer.
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙