• December 18, 2018, 05:31:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Parole Information  (Read 115866 times)

3tenjen and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Parole Information
« Reply #260 on: April 22, 2017, 12:08:35 PM »
I have a ? My loved one was in front of parole board 2 days ago they told him he would be getting 6 months house arrest. So my ? Is what type of phone can it be cordless can it have an answering machine. Ty for your help.

He is going to have to ask what they will hook up with.. They used to do landlines (possibly still may), but now since now one has those anymore they use different devices.  They should be able to let him know so wherever they parole him too, they are prepared.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #261 on: April 24, 2017, 08:20:41 AM »
We had to have a landline, it doesn't hook in to anything, it is so DOC can call us around the clock, it is an old school phone that does not run on electricity so that even in a power outage, it works - we do have call waiting, but cannot have an answering machine. We had to use Frontier in our area as they were the only people who still do a traditional landline. I'll be glad when I can have that sucker shut off in 6 months!
He's home!

Offline dobie1224

« Reply #262 on: May 03, 2017, 07:46:05 PM »
Does anyone know anything about the Guild House on Canal St in Blue Island?

Offline Donandkat

« Reply #263 on: May 09, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »
I keep calling the parole number and all I get is a busy signal. Is there another number I can call?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #264 on: May 10, 2017, 09:23:30 AM »
I keep calling the parole number and all I get is a busy signal. Is there another number I can call?
No
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #265 on: January 02, 2018, 10:12:57 AM »
We are starting to panic.  It’s been 5 days, no P.O.  His job (he got one while at an ATC). Said if doesn’t show up tomorrow he’s fired.  We keep calling the local office and the number is always busy.  We’ve called the 800 number twice and they say there’s nothing they can do.  Please help.

Offline Spinka2022

« Reply #266 on: March 12, 2018, 07:47:15 PM »
I'm new to this and was wondering if anybody knew the rules and regs to have somebody paroled to your house

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #267 on: March 30, 2018, 12:23:31 PM »
I'm new to this and was wondering if anybody knew the rules and regs to have somebody paroled to your house

Host site agreement

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=3947.0

if you have a dog there are rules .. there is information on all of this parole board.

Offline Bill

• Publisher, 'STATEVILLE SPEAKS'
  • Mod Squad
  • "Stateville Speaks" ~ Publisher
« Reply #268 on: June 04, 2018, 08:00:08 AM »
hi ipters i have been out of loop for awhile back now.  mah give me call sometime i lost your number 708 574 8046  we have lots to talk about ... two things here. as you may know gladyse taylor, deputy director doc, cancelled highly successful stateville debate team and banned katrina burlit as volunteer throughout doc. debate team wrote and we took to governor rauner a letter asking katrina be reinstated. action taken by taylor totally unjustifable. what debate team did do is conduct a debate in stateville where 20 legislators were present along with others. i saw it. topic chosen by team was parole. this must have freaked taylor who closed debate down and banned katina. we had press conference to deliver letter to Governor requesting reinstatement of team and katrina. about 75 people attended along with several media. wgn excellent coverage  injustice on internet written several stories as has wbez.

during press conference one of debaters,  called his sister who was on conference. stateville staff immediately took eugene from  cell placed in seg for awhile then returned. this is violation of first amendment free speech  we are asking folks to  write eugene abd support him. i will post number and address later.
the support of ipt and members of this forum would be greatly appreciated in our movement. we will have parole bill introduced later in summer.  a true movement has begun to  substantively change doc and sentencing please join in
awesome to be back with ipters. let me hear from you bill ryan

Offline Bill

• Publisher, 'STATEVILLE SPEAKS'
  • Mod Squad
  • "Stateville Speaks" ~ Publisher
« Reply #269 on: June 04, 2018, 08:17:30 AM »
hi ipters i have been out of loop for awhile back now.  mah give me call sometime i lost your number 708 574 8046  we have lots to talk about ... two things here. as you may know gladyse taylor, deputy director doc, cancelled highly successful stateville debate team and banned katrina burlit as volunteer throughout doc. debate team wrote and we took to governor rauner a letter asking katrina be reinstated. action taken by taylor totally unjustifable. what debate team did do is conduct a debate in stateville where 20 legislators were present along with others. i saw it. topic chosen by team was parole. this must have freaked taylor who closed debate down and banned katina. we had press conference to deliver letter to Governor requesting reinstatement of team and katrina. about 75 people attended along with several media. wgn excellent coverage  injustice on internet written several stories as has wbez.

during press conference one of debaters,  called his sister who was on conference. stateville staff immediately took eugene from  cell placed in seg for awhile then returned. this is violation of first amendment free speech  we are asking folks to  write eugene abd support him. i will post number and address later.
the support of ipt and members of this forum would be greatly appreciated in our movement. we will have parole bill introduced later in summer.  a true movement has begun to  substantively change doc and sentencing please join in
awesome to be back with ipters. let me hear from you bill ryan
  here is information about eugene  Eugene Ross K 73977, P.O. 112, Joliet, Il 60434  please write eugene tell him you support him in him exercising free speech as guranteed by u. s. constitution. there should be no retislation by doc as eugene violateed no doc rules or procedures thanks

Offline Kristinp

« Reply #270 on: October 02, 2018, 08:30:57 PM »
Hi. I am new to this group. I have a question about parole. As of right now my LO has nowhere to parole to when it's time for him to parole. He is an alcoholic, and I would like to pay for a halfway house for him to go to. Is this allowed? I dont want the prison to send him to one because there waiting list takes forever. There are people who are waiting for a bed for over a year. How can I find out if I can choose an approved halfway house for him to go to. Please help!!

Offline willied

« Reply #271 on: December 17, 2018, 04:20:09 PM »
I found this information about a group willing to try to get changes to PAROLE  parole

Parole Illinois
17 hrs ·
Governor-elect Pritzker has formed a new committee on Restorative Justice and Safer Communities. See https://paroleillinois.org/…/pritzker-appoints-restorative…/

The Stateville Debate Team has written a memo to the chairs and stressed that true criminal-legal reform in Illinois must 1) include the establishment of a fair, inclusive, and retroactive parole system; 2) consider the voices of people with direct experience of prisons and the criminal-legal system. Thus the Debate Team has invited the committee to meet with them and with incarcerated men and women across the state.
See https://paroleillinois.org/…/debate-team-memo-to-pritzkers…/

Please call the 3 people below. Tell them that you support the memo sent to them by the Stateville Debate team . Ask them to them to meet with the Debate Team and other incarcerated men and women to get their input on criminal-justice reform.

Cook Co State Atty Kim Foxx 312 603 1880

Representative Jehan Gordon Booth 309 681 1992

Congresswoman Robin Kelly 708 679 0078

Debate Team memo to Pritzker’s Restorative Justice Cmte., Dec 3, 2018
Posted on December 8, 2018 by ssstonem
December 3, 2018

TO:  Committee Chairs Kim Fox, Jehan Gordon-Booth, and Robin Kelly

CC: Lieutenant Governor-elect Juliana Stratton, Representative Rita Mayfield

RE: Invitation to meet with the Stateville Debate Team

We are aware that Governor-elect Pritzker has announced the formation of a Restorative Justice and Safe Communities Committee. We appreciate that the Governor-elect recognizes the need to fix our broken criminal-justice system and to do so in a way that “move away from a system of imprisonment and build a true system of justice.”

We are writing today for two reasons. First, we believe that the establishment of a fair, inclusive, and retroactive parole system is crucial to true criminal-legal reform. This system must evaluate every person who enters prison to assess their program and rehabilitation needs; and, equally important, it must evaluate the currently incarcerated men and women, with the aim of ameliorating the excessive sentences that already have been handed out.

Second we believe that the committee needs to hear directly from incarcerated individuals. Regardless of how well-intentioned the committee, they will not fully understand the failings of our criminal-legal system or the steps needed for “a true system of justice” until they hear from the men and women who have direct experience with prisons and the criminal-legal system.

Therefore, we invite the chairs and members of your committee to come to Stateville Correctional Center and meet with the Stateville Debate Team. The Stateville Debate Team is particularly well positioned to contribute to the work of your committee.  We are group of men from diverse social backgrounds who have experienced incarceration at prisons across the state. We were selected to participate in an educational debate program at Stateville prison. We have pursued substantial research on criminal-justice reform. We have presented our analysis of issues related to discretionary parole to a group of state legislators and community members last March.

We also urge the committee to meet with incarcerated people at prisons across Illinois. Women prisoners have unique concerns and perspectives, and we particularly hope that you will meet with women such as Janet Jackson and other women incarcerated at Logan.

Finally, as you may know, Representative Rita Mayfield recently held subject-matter-only hearings on the issue of bringing a fair parole system to Illinois. Representative Mayfield has conferred with the Stateville Debate Team and is drafting legislation based on the framework developed by the Debate Team.   The Debate Team proposal can be found here: https://paroleillinois.org/stateville-debate-team-proposal/. We also invite you to visit the Parole Illinois website, ParoleIllinois.org.

We look forward to further discussions with you.  (You can contact us at ParoleIllinois@gmail.com)

Proposal for Fair Parole
Bill to Establish a Fair and Inclusive Parole System in the State of Illinois

1)  No person shall be denied the right to parole consideration. This includes all current and future incarcerated people.
a) Life without parole shall be excised from the possible sentences that can be given in Illinois.
b)  Those currently serving life sentences who have served 11 years will be immediately seen by the paroling authority following the passing of this bill.

2) Every incarcerated person must serve either 25% of their sentence or the minimum sentence of the single most serious offense convicted of, before becoming eligible for parole – whichever comes first.  Every incarcerated person automatically becomes eligible for parole after serving 11 years of their sentence.
a) Those sentenced as the principal offender under the multiple murder statute will become eligible after 20 years.

3) Every class of felony will be eligible for good sentence credits.
a) There will be extra time credit programs available for any person who has served active duty in the US Military.

4) A risk assessment instrument will be used to evaluate every person at their point of entry into the system in order to determine their risk factors and identify clearly those things which they need to change or accomplish in order to be released.
a) All people who are incarcerated at the time of this bill passing shall receive a risk assessment within the next 6 months.
b) At the passing of this bill, prior evidence of rehabilitative pursuits and program participation will be added to master files and considered at all parole hearings.

5) Any risk assessment instrument shall open its source code to a panel composed of representatives from ICJIA and SPAC for periodic review for racial bias, etc.

6)  Within 60 days leading up to a person’s parole hearing, they will be again assessed with the same instrument.  If they have surpassed the outlined goals from their initial assessment, they will be released at their hearing.  If they have not, then the paroling authority will consider releasing them on parole from a clinical perspective.

7) For people who are not released onto parole, they will go back up for parole hearings every year until they have reached their maximum sentence as set by statute, plea bargain, or their sentencing judge.

8)   Victims have the right to be present and involved in the initial outlining of the goals for an incarcerated person.  They will have input into what must be achieved by an incarcerated person before they can be released. Though the bulk of the weight will be put on the risk assessment instrument for determining what an offender must accomplish before being released, all interested parties will have meaningful input before determining the final goals.

9) Once a person’s goals are set, they cannot be changed.  They will be given to the incarcerated person in written form as soon as they are set.  This is only superseded in the event that a demonstrable new problem – defined as any guilty finding in a major disciplinary infraction or new case – arises with an individual during their incarceration.  In that case, the paroling authority has the discretion to go back and add goals that must be achieved before release. Any changes or additions must be given to the incarcerated person in writing.

10)  Those who are denied parole have the right to know why.  When a person is denied parole, they will receive a written explanation of the reason for denial.  This will outline exactly which of an individual’s goals for release have been satisfactorily met and which have yet to be attained.  It will include suggestions for how the unmet goals can be accomplished.
a) Every incarcerated person shall have full rights to challenge their denial of parole via an appeal. Any individual who submits an appeal will be seen by the entirety of the paroling authority within the next 90 days.
b)   Any person who is denied upon appeal has the right to seek relief in the circuit court.

11)  The IDOC has a duty to provide programs that are demanded for a person to be released.  All people must have a legitimate opportunity to access the resources and programming that they need in order to meet their release goals.
a)   Additionally, no person will be barred from programming because their anticipated release is not in the near future.  People at any point in their sentence – whether they have reached their minimum sentence or have just been incarcerated – will have the right to engage in programming.

12)   A panel of 5 from the paroling authority will hear each case. This panel of 5 will hold two different types of parole hearings.  The first is for the eligible person who has passed the actuarial examination.  In these cases, the paroling authority will simply set the terms of release.  In the cases where the actuarial system has determined the person unfit for release, they will evaluate the eligible person from a clinical perspective and determine whether the person is ready to re-enter society.. If the majority of the panel of 5 agrees that an individual’s conditions are met, they will set the terms of release and parole the eligible person.
If any of a person’s goals are not met in the eyes of at least 3 of the 5 panel members, the paroling authority will outline explicitly in writing which goals were not met with a recommendation for how they can be met.  They will also set the date for the next parole hearing at that time.  The next date will not be set for more than 14 months in the future.

a) Juveniles and young adults (ages 18-24) will be given special consideration for parole in recognition of their diminished culpability.
b)  People convicted under accountability theory will be given special consideration for parole in recognition of their diminished culpability.
c) Any other mitigating factor that is present in a person or their case that denotes diminished culpability (i.e. mental illness and other such things that are currently recognized in law) will be given special consideration for parole in recognition of their diminished culpability.

13)  Parole decisions will be made with the recognition that justice has been served.  Any person who has become eligible for parole has served the time necessary to satisfy the demands of justice.  The only concern that the paroling panel is evaluating is the risk of recidivism.  Paroling decisions will be made blindly with regard to the nature of the original crime.
a)  All exceptions in current law will be eliminated.  Specifically, the following will be excluded from this bill and will not constitute legitimate reasons for a person to be denied parole:
(i) there is a substantial risk that the eligible person will not conform to reasonable
conditions of parole or aftercare release; or
(ii) the eligible person’s release at that time would deprecate the seriousness of his or
Her offense or promote disrespect for the law; or
(iii) the eligible person’s release would have a substantially adverse effect on
institutional discipline.

14)  In acknowledgement of the unequivocal importance of allowing incarcerated people a meaningful chance to maintain connections with loved ones during their incarceration, at the passing of this bill, each correctional facility will comprehensively evaluate how well they facilitate relationships between the people in their custody and their loved ones.  Where problems are identified, they will be addressed and changed.  This is of the utmost importance.  One’s ability to conform to reasonable conditions of parole is in large part determined by the support they have on the outside.  This will be recognized by correctional facilities and they will make necessary changes to visiting hours and procedures, phone call protocol and costs, letter writing, etc. in light of this recognition.

15)  Any person who is over the age of 50 or who is significantly physically or mentally disabled will be considered for release regardless of any other factors – including whether their minimum sentence has been met.

16)  Every incarcerated person shall have the right to legal representation at their parole hearings. If they cannot afford legal counsel, representation will be provided to them.

17)  Every incarcerated person shall hold the right to attend and testify at their parole hearings.

18)  Every incarcerated person shall have a right to review their master file and challenge any inaccurate information contained therein.

19)   No person shall be penalized during the parole process for claiming innocence.  This means that people who claim innocence shall, under no circumstance, have the mandate of “demonstrating remorse” as a requirement for parole.

20)  No application will be necessary for someone to access parole.  Once their parole eligibility has been reached, they will automatically be given a parole hearing date as well as legal representation for their hearing.

21)  If any part of this bill is found unconstitutional, the rest shall survive.

Let us know if you support this Proposal!        willied     

respectfully

William Oliver Deere

Offline Meami

« Reply #272 on: December 17, 2018, 10:28:34 PM »
Thanks for posting! Will call!