• December 12, 2018, 11:04:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Parole Information  (Read 115513 times)

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Parole Information
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 03:54:35 AM »
I received the parole host site questionnaire when my inmate had been in only one month of a three-year sentence....don't get excited.  Some counselors are just on top of their game and do it early and store it in his file.
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Still love my son

• ONE DAY AT A TIME.........
  • David Cook Rocked in St Louis 7/18/08!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 06:00:54 PM »

Same here, got mine within 30 days of his admission to his TRANSFERRED place (Taylorville), the first place never sent anything.   
First place was Shawnee, I def believe they do everything the OPPOSITE of every PLACE, and nothing, in a hurry EVER.

Offline Naddy71

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 01:44:51 PM »
My L/O has asked me to find out what the rules are with regards to travelling in Illinois or the rest of the United states once he's on parole. I presumed that once your released and on parole you cannot travel out of that state or even out of your town? But I might be wrong? Or does it vary with regards to what they were sentenced too.

Any information would be gratefully received. Thanks

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 02:02:20 PM »
Your loved one will have to ask his PO for a travel pass.  Most PO's wont grant out of state travel passes but a more lax one might provided your inmate is doing everything he is supposed to be doing.  I wouldn't count on it though.  You can travel out of the town you live but he may have a distance restiction.  If he is on an ankle monitor he wont be able to leave the house without movement authorization.
There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Only do whatever you are willing to pay the consequences for.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 03:26:17 PM »
Most PO's will NOT let them travel out of state and some will put them on a certain # of miles that they are allowed to go away from their homes.  When your PO comes out to talk to you, before your loved one is released, you can ask or wait till your loved ones gets home and have him ask, but I would not make any plans on traveling until he is off of parole, this way you will not be disappointed!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Naddy71

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 03:50:45 PM »
Thanks for the information, I will tell him what you have said.

Offline gladiator

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 07:56:30 PM »
dose anyone in this whole forum know what the old law (indeterminate sentencing ) and the new law  of 1978 determinate  sentence  or msr mandatory supervised release. The idoc knew the parole officers were out of a job so they took it upon themselves with the help of politicians to make all msr inmates see and have a parole office and a parole. expo facto is in fact alive and well and no lawyer has ever attacked this issue, to much money in wages and graft in the idoc. :wc94:

Offline RT

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 08:04:30 PM »
dose anyone in this whole forum know what the old law (indeterminate sentencing ) and the new law  of 1978 determinate  sentence  or msr mandatory supervised release. The idoc knew the parole officers were out of a job so they took it upon themselves with the help of politicians to make all msr inmates see and have a parole office and a parole. expo facto is in fact alive and well and no lawyer has ever attacked this issue, to much money in wages and graft in the idoc. :wc94:

HUH?
MSR=Mandatory SUPERVISED Release. When a person is admonished in court of his/her sentence, they are also informed of how much MSR time they will do. The indeterminate sentences were done away with in an effort to promote prison reform and make more bedspace. We call them PO's, but they are actually DOC Agents. They have no authority over anyone EXCEPT an inmate under the supervision of the IDOC.

Rick
"Imprisonment has become the response of first resort to far too many of our social problems."
-- Angela Davis

Offline Still love my son

• ONE DAY AT A TIME.........
  • David Cook Rocked in St Louis 7/18/08!!!
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 09:01:18 PM »
Gladiator what is your question????    Not sure I understand...Please explain further............

+ it sounds very interesting.

Offline KSwife

• I Miss My Husband
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 09:03:14 PM »
Gladiator what is your question????    Not sure I understand...Please explain further............

Thank goodness you asked slms! I am glad I am not the only one who didn't understand the question!
Grumpy people are annoying!!!

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 09:40:41 PM »
I think the poster is referring to the fact that there is NO parole in Illinois, except for those couple hundred C#'s that are still incarcerated...those sentenced to indeterminate sentences before truth in sentencing took effect in 1978.  Those C numbers are the only inmates that go before the parole board for release.  Some go every year, some every other year and some longer.  When truth in sentencing became law MSR (mandatory supervised release...still called 'parole' by most) was started.  At the time of sentencing, the trial judge determined the length of the sentence to be served and the amount of MSR to be served following release.  

The parole department, the parole board and parole officers really don't hold the power they used to...except for C# inmates.  They are merely a rubber stamp to the trial courts determined MSR/sentence.  I think this is what the original poster is referring to.  

I'm not sure about the statement of Parole officers all being out of a job because they are still necessary to supervise the release of inmates.  And they still have the power to violate them, pending the PRB's three-man violation board decision.  But I tend to agree...a lot of money for a board that is a rubber stamp committee.  They are lopsided with law enforcement officers and they just forced Jorge Montes to resign.  He was the best man on the board, and president as well.  I'm sure Quinn will appoint some hard ass ex-prosecutor or sheriff to fill Jorge's position.  It's a real blow to inmates in IDOC.
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline KSwife

• I Miss My Husband
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2010, 01:57:06 AM »
Thank you for the explanation Daz! So Gladiator was just making a statement, didn't really want anything answered from us per se.
Grumpy people are annoying!!!

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 04:34:19 AM »
I suppose I should've answered Gladiator's question...does anyone know the new/old laws.  Yes I do and you can too if you go to our Sentencing forum and read the Truth in Sentencing thread.  The sentencing guidelines are all listed also.

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Cathy

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 04:05:19 PM »
 I had a parole officer come by our home today to sign a consent form for my daughters parole. Her release date is Oct. 29, 2010. She will be on House Arrest for four months. We need to get a seperate phone line. Does anyone know of any cheap(ha-ha) companies that we could use in the Will County area that would accomadate this? Thanks for any advice.

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 05:00:26 PM »
AT&T has a basic no frills landline for $11.00 per month.  I would see if they offer that option in your area.
There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Only do whatever you are willing to pay the consequences for.

Offline Cathy

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 07:28:14 PM »
 I had them in mind, but I didn't know if there was a better deal. I suppose you can't get any cheaper then $11.00. Thank you for the information.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 10:59:05 PM »
When you call to set up service, make sure you specify that you want NO extra services. Even a mediocre salesperson will try to convince you to get all the services they offer.

Offline tammytamm

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 09:41:14 AM »
Hello,

As an alternative to AT&T or Comcast. Try Sage Telecommunications.  Sagetelecom.com.
I have an AT&T line with no frills for $22 a month.

Offline Slarange

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 11:27:45 PM »
My L/O comes home Nov.10Th & his parole officer came Monday, he also has to be on house arrest for 90 days. I asked his parole officer about the house phone he said i didn't have to have one. I thought you had to have one. Should i get one just in case? I don't want anything to go wrong & the closer it gets my anxieties kick in & i keep thinking something is gonna go wrong.

Offline Cathy

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2010, 05:12:25 AM »
  That surprises me. We were told about the phone, and that there was a chance our dogs, a Lab/Rottweiler and an Akita/German Shepherd may have to be micro chipped, and proof that they have been nuetered. Hope everything falls into place, We are getting one step closer.