• September 23, 2018, 01:39:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Prison reform bill passes in the House ... does it affect those in State prison?  (Read 158 times)

Offline meangene

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/05/23/trump-kushner-get-win-as-prison-reform-bill-passes-house-in-overwhelming-vote.html
Jeffries said his bill would give additional funding to programs that allow inmates to attend vocational and college courses and get help with mental health and substance abuse issues.

“These are individuals who are in the system right now without hope, without opportunity, without a meaningful chance at transforming themselves,” Jeffries said on the House floor. “And the First Step Act will provide that. … Why would we possibly refuse that?”

The bill now moves to the Senate where it will face a tough battle as Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said he wants any prison reform linked to sentencing reforms as well."

I hope the statement of Senator Grassley does not stall this bill that would be good if passed for so many reasons.   Sentencing reforms can be a stand alone bill and not slow down this assistance to men and women in prison.

Offline dzr

I contacted the Illinois Sentencing Policy Advisory Council and they said unfortunately no. This has to do with Federal Prisons. My question is, if it's good enough for Federal Prisons, why can't it be the same for State prisons?