• December 10, 2018, 06:42:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Rate reduced  (Read 1086 times)

Offline ERwife

Rate reduced
« on: July 16, 2018, 08:28:53 AM »
I just got off the phone with my LO and he mentioned that rates were decreasing today. So when we hung up I checked the call log on my account through securus website and it appears that rates are about $0. 01 per minute. I don't know if this is something special for today or his facility but it's definitely good news for me. I hope it's the same across the board from now on. HAPPY Calling!!!

Offline bquinonez

• Its me "B"
Re: Rate reduced
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 05:45:18 PM »
I just received call from my husband saying the same thing. Heís In Dixon. He heard it from another inmate.
He also mentioned that if we donít answer, they can leave us a voicemail (inmate that is, not SEcurus).
Two Hearts One Love

Offline tmfreeman

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 06:05:47 PM »
My inmate called to tell me about the voicemail messages and try it out. He didn't mention the lower rates but I just checked and the calls today were like $0.01/min. Yay! Hopefully this is permanent especially since it's more in line with what the rate was supposed to be when the law went into effect changing the rates.

Online sarashane

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:54:34 PM »
.01 per minute. Really? How can this be real? Thereís no way we can get a 30 minute call for 30 cents!
I had to go to a prison to find a man who treats me right!

Offline bquinonez

• Its me "B"
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 08:23:40 PM »
My rate is 0.09. I wonder if it depends on area code? Cuz I swear it was cheaper for me before. And, they are able to leave you a 20 sec voicemail but you gotta pay to listen to it. FYI
Two Hearts One Love

Offline ERwife

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 08:30:25 PM »
.01 per minute. Really? How can this be real? Thereís no way we can get a 30 minute call for 30 cents!

I know Sarashane....I thought it was a joke.  But, just had another call and it was .31 for 30 minutes.  He already was calling at least twice and day, now hes probably going to call all day long. Like when we were teenagers, lol....

Offline ERwife

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 08:32:06 PM »
My rate is 0.09. I wonder if it depends on area code? Cuz I swear it was cheaper for me before. And, they are able to leave you a 20 sec voicemail but you gotta pay to listen to it. FYI

Bquinonez, I believe I heard someone mention that the rate depends on area code before....Im in (708).  But, I was only paying .08 before.  What were you paying?

Offline bquinonez

• Its me "B"
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 09:35:49 PM »
@ERWife, previously it was 0.07.  I have a 630 and 219 number, both are same rate.
Two Hearts One Love

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 02:33:37 AM »
Mine still shows .09 on the rate calculator but only charged me .01 today
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline tmfreeman

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 09:37:45 AM »
Ours were previously .08 with a 217 area code, a little more when he called his daughter with a 401 area code. Yesterday his calls to me were 0.01. He hasn't called yet today since he's at work so I haven't even got to tell him. He left a 9 second voicemail yesterday and it was 0.01 to listen to it. The website says they can leave up to a 2 minute message, I estimate it should be about 0.25 for a full message. I hope the calls really stay that cheap but I doubt we'll get to talk more. Since they went down the first time more and more people are on the phone constantly and it was already causing problems in their house so this will probably make it worse unfortunately.

Offline bquinonez

• Its me "B"
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 02:00:10 PM »
Inmates are gonna flood the phones now that they can leave voicemail messages. Kinda nice for us wives.
I saw on the SEcurus website they now offer jail voicemails. Which basically is us leaving inmates voicemail messages. Too bad IDOC isnít offering that. Few county jails in Illinois offer this.
Two Hearts One Love

Offline bquinonez

• Its me "B"
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
It was too good to be true for a whole 24 hours. I wonder if it was a glitch on SEcurus end. No more voicemail. My husband called my sister in law about an hour ago and said they cut it off.
Bummer!
Two Hearts One Love

Online sarashane

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 07:35:32 PM »
Was it still .01 a minute?

Offline tmfreeman

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 08:03:11 PM »
Our calls around 11 and 4 were still 0.01/min.

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 08:38:30 PM »
i talked with my son tonight and it was 30 cents for 30 minutes.  That is really unusual and I hope it continues.

Offline Tlc613

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 09:42:50 PM »
Price stayed the same at .01 cent a min. Sucks that voicemail got taken away. But forever grateful to the cheap phone calls.

Online sarashane

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 11:05:03 PM »
I just had a live chat with Securus. I asked how long the new rate will last and got a nonsensical answer. She said they wonít know when it will change until it changes. When I asked why it changed she said ďI guess itís the first time for that facility this yearĒ. No clue what that means. This all just seems to good to be true.

Offline pt1318

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 02:26:39 AM »
I just checked the Securus rate calculator and it says it's $0.009/min for my number (253 area code). This is awesome! Just hope it won't lead to problems for our guys, with even more people wanting to use the few available phones.
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Online sarashane

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 10:25:35 AM »
I hope there wonít be fights for the phone, but there probably will.

Offline MaryKay

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 05:08:47 PM »
Woohoo! My son just told me about this and said he heard that the reduction is the result of a lawsuit about the ridiculous charges that were in place prior to this year.  He said it is temporary, but had no idea for how long.