• July 20, 2018, 03:00:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Public Act 099-0938  (Read 228 times)

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
Public Act 099-0938
« on: June 19, 2018, 03:11:12 AM »
As we all know the prison have stopped handing out Earned Sentence Credit until IDOC finishes implementing the new program. I, along with a few others, are trying to get in touch with someone to explain what the hold up is since the original proposal was signed last August and a revised edition was signed in January 2018.  We have called IDOC in Springfield many times and all they would say is it would take about 5-6 months.  That time is passing by quickly and with the new budget that was signed and the massive cut to IDOC,  we are hoping this will be done soon.  I have reached out to JHA to see if they have any information they can forward to us since IDOC apparently has no timeframe for this.  A few of us have also tried to contact our state representatives and they seem to not really care as they are just "inmates".  I will post information as soon as I can get it.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/99/099-0938.htm

https://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/Offender/Pages/CommunityNotificationofInmateEarlyRelease.aspx
There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Only do whatever you are willing to pay the consequences for.

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
Re: Public Act 099-0938
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »

This is what JHA sent me.

Good afternoon,

EDSC: the most current information on discretionary sentence credits (up to six months that can be awarded at discretion of Director—formerly referred to as SSC) we have is as follows:

IDOC administrators have stated that EDSC is “on pause,” meaning that IDOC is not awarding EDSC to anyone at this time and has not been awarding EDSC since the beginning of the year.

IDOC has not yet submitted proposed rule changes for the subpart of DR 107 governing EDSC. This is not why EDSC is on pause though.

IDOC administrators have not declared an exact date or time frame when IDOC will begin awarding EDSC again. Based on what we have heard from them, however, it is likely that EDSC will remain on pause until the end of the calendar year at the earliest.

This is coming from Springfield. Facility level staff have nothing to do with EDSC being on pause and cannot veto decisions made by upper level management of IDOC.

Programing credits are not on pause. Inmates that are eligible to receive credit for successfully completing programming (contract good time) are receiving this credit.
There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 07:13:46 PM »
Thanks

Our son said he heard they have stopped SSC due to the implementation of a software  system that will award and track  SSC automatically.  Don't know for sure, but that is what he was told by his counselor.

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 04:15:41 AM »
At this point I have stopped listening to the counselors because each prison counselor has a different answer.  That's why I reached out to JHA to see if I could get more specific information.