• November 14, 2018, 12:10:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Sending playing cards to inmates  (Read 392 times)

Offline coasterman

Sending playing cards to inmates
« on: June 08, 2018, 09:16:14 AM »
My LO is in Danville, and asked me if I could send him a set of playing cards, specifically gaming cards to him. I thought I should call first and the person that answered told me an emphatic NO, absolutely not, playing cards are not allowed. I am stumped about this answer as my LO claims that many, many of the inmates have them and regularly play cards. Can someone possibly enlighten me on this?  Is this just a Danville thing?

Offline tmfreeman

Re: Sending playing cards to inmates
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 09:37:36 AM »
They most likely have to buy them from commissary. Tell him to check the commissary list for them.

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »
Yep, commissary. You can buy them new and have them shipped directly to the visiting room for everyone to use. I did this when the cards were in such terrible shape, I just couldn't stand it anymore. I also did this with a universal remote control when my hubby was still in county before he went to IDOC. But you generally have to make contact first and talk to them about what you want to do.
He's home!

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 06:27:26 AM »
The things you can send your loved one is very limited. The cards the other inmates have were no doubt bought in commissary.

Offline coasterman

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 07:28:10 AM »
What is puzzling me about this, is that my LO says these are the "gaming cards", not basic playing cards, and many of the inmates are playing them, it's supposedly very popular. I really doubt these type cards are even available in commissary. This is in Danville where he is at, and when I talked to a counselor there he emphatically told me NO playing cards are allowed, and that was it. I'm not pursuing this as he's supposed to be released in less than a month, and for that matter who knows when they would even get to him with this questionable mail in these facilities. If I've learned anything through this experience is there is no rhyme or reason at all in the IDOC. I've never seen anything like it, on the part of the loved ones locked up, as well as those of us on the outside.