• October 15, 2018, 04:04:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Extrotion  (Read 611 times)

Offline blickly

Extrotion
« on: May 21, 2018, 08:11:03 AM »
I have a loved one in Vandaila, My question is, is how common is extortion?  He used to call me daily however then they transferred which dorm he was in and i did not receive a call for several days.  When he finally called me he informed me that he was only able to call now 2 days a week and he had to ask permission from another inmate!  evidently there are 4 phone and each phone has a inmate that rules them and you must ask permission to use them! When i asked him if he had to pay them he said that he had offered commissary from his next trip to commissary and that it would only be one or two things and they said no, they didn't need it.. knowing him the last part of him offering and them not taking it is a bit to much info for it to be the truth and i believe that he did have to pay to use the phone and he just dont want me to worry..  The second reason i believe he had to pay is when he was first transferred to this new dorm,  he got a short call to me as everyone else was in the yard and he told me that another inmate had told him of a group of guys in there that used to guard the phones and make you pay to use them but they were transferred out,  so i believe itis possible for a new group to have taken over the phones.

My question is this, is this something normal? or is it something should contact the wardens office or Springfield about?
Thank you in advance for all your time

Offline sarashane

Re: Extrotion
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 03:47:44 PM »
Your LO needs to toughen up and not allow this to happen. My husband says that inmates try this crap all the time and you just canít let them. If he has to get in their face then thatís what has to be done. Most of them will back down if they know the other inmate wonít put up with it. All my husband has to do is say ďletís goĒ in a threatening way and they back off. Donít call the warden unless the situation is dire. It will cause him problems and brand you as a problem.
I had to go to a prison to find a man who treats me right!

Offline sarashane

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 09:12:01 PM »
My husband said that perhaps I was too harsh with my comment. He said that we donít know your LOís situation. He may be elderly, ill, disabled or otherwise unable to handle the situation himself. If thatís the case my husband said you should call IA rather than the warden.

Offline blickly

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 09:29:38 PM »
your husband is wise.. my l/o is very tiny and was abused his whole childhood.. i mean his complete child hood so he is very frail and cant stand up to anything for fear from his childhood.  tell your husband thank you for setting you straight .

Offline sarashane

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 05:54:58 AM »
First of all, my husband did not, nor will he ever,  set me straight. He simply showed me another perspective. Second, if he is as frail as you think,  he should be in PC  or listed as vulnerable. Since it seems that he is not, he may not be as frail as you suggest. Most of these inmates suffered abuse as children. My husband did. Prison will be tough for both of you if he doesnít learn to take care of himself. You should call the prison and see if heís eligible for PC, if not, as my husband said, he needs to man up.

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 12:35:49 PM »
My two cents is that there is something to be said for both perspectives. To be honest, my hubby never experienced anything like that. There was an issue with a guy who was doing his laundry putting it off until the end unless he wanted to buy his way to the front of the line with commissary items. My hubby is most definitely not frail or timid, he is ex-military but definitely not a huge guy. I would not call in or make a fuss, being labeled a trouble maker inside will make things so much worse for him and you. I would live without the phone calls, that's the path of least resistance. If it's bad enough, he can walk himself to seg (refuse housing). How long does he have to serve?
He's home!

Offline blickly

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 06:42:50 AM »
Tkesde1, thank you for your perspective... however im confused, why would anyone want to put themselves in seg? legitimate question.   he has only been at Vandalia about 1.5 month with 7 months to go unless awarded ssc. it was a 1.5 year sentence at 50%. first timer.  could they see him as a target as he has a good amount of money on his books? and he get alot of expensive magazine and news paper subscriptions in the mail there? i mean who in the rite mind does this kind of thing to anyone? its just beyond me why anyone would do that to someone

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 04:23:16 PM »
Blickly - prison is an entirely new world. Many prisoners live on "state pay" which is $10-15/month. No one will know what your LO has on his books unless he tells them. My son gets magazines, newspapers, etc., and no one has ever said anything about that. After he reads them he puts them in the dayroom. Your LO has so little time, I would just let it slide. No big deal if he can't call often - he can write. Just keep his head down, keep his mouth closed and just ride it out.

Just my opinion.

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 10:58:05 AM »
Having money on your books is a secret your inmate should keep, and not be flashing around the stuff he gets from commissary, even from his cellie.

If he feels threatened to the point where his safety is a concern, walking himself to seg is better than getting hurt. At least there he will be fairly safe.

You put that many people in a facility, inmate & guards alike, and the worst in people can come out, also some people are in there for some pretty violent crimes - these people aren't in church and they didn't go to prison for eating too many cookies at a bake sale. My hubby has been out for almost 3 years now and he still has issues from it. The language that can still come out of my husband's mouth is shocking to me - I have to say, Hey! You aren't in prison anymore, that is not a civilized way to talk.
He's home!

Offline mrsk97279

• Hope for Inmates
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 10:44:47 PM »
It is well known that inmates have to go through gang "kings" to use phones in Menard. Its not uncommon at all. Its prison. We have no idea out here what they have to do in there to be able to use the phone. COs know it's happening. They arent blind, but its prison politics, sadly.
A great relationship is not built on how much time you spend together physically, but rather, the foundation you build together spiritually and emotionally...

Offline sarashane

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 12:17:47 AM »
My husband never had to go through anybody to use the phones in Menard. Itís because  he can take care of himself and if he has to intimidate, he will.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 06:54:43 AM »
Everyone has different experiences in different prisons.  I think we all agree prison is not an enjoyable experience for either our loved ones or us.