• December 12, 2018, 11:05:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Phone company  (Read 4157 times)

Offline pt1318

Phone company
« on: December 17, 2017, 05:41:22 PM »
Hi all. Does anyone know if IDOC is going to switch to a different phone company next year? I haven't been able to talk to my lo in a while and it's mid-December already so I'm wondering if any of you have new information about this.
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline pt1318

Re: Phone company
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 07:05:55 PM »
Nothing??? Not even any rumors going around?
Merry Christmas everyone.  xmascarolers
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline tmfreeman

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 05:15:51 AM »
I am assuming that Securus won't be the provider since they were very against the lowered rates. I am assuming their contract which does expire in 2018 must expire sometime later in the year since there hasn't been a change in provider or any indication yet that the provider is changing. Whether Securus is still the provider or not on January 1 the rates will change by law. If they don't we all are encouraged to contact Rep. Carol Ammons as Securus and possibly IDOC will then be in violation of state law.

Offline sarashane

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 09:22:11 AM »
I may be wrong, but I donít think Securus is going anywhere. Lower rates mean more phone calls. My husband and I are excited to be able to talk more and spend the same amount of money. Canít wait!
I had to go to a prison to find a man who treats me right!

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 11:49:25 PM »
I completely agree I am looking forward to the cheaper calls for sure we spend almost 25 a day
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 10:19:58 AM »
My guess will be that Securus will still provide the services but will institute transaction fees on the deposit of funds to make up for the lower rates.

Offline tmfreeman

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 12:54:47 PM »
Part of the law is no fees. It's supposed to be 7 cents a minute and that's it. We'll see though.

Offline Sunflwrs

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 05:37:29 PM »
Hi;
Somewhere on Illinois Prison Talk is the link to the new legislative regarding the phone and the cost. I am trying to find that link so that I can read the writing carefully.
Also, I have noticed that my mother-in-law phone calls are cheaper, she lives 1 hour away, compared to my phone calls 1, 000 miles away. Only by 5-10 cents, but I will change my area code if it makes my calls cheaper.

if anyone finds the link or the legislative writing can you share it here.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! :rudolff:

Offline pt1318

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
It's public act 99-0878, here's the link
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=099-0878

All the best for 2018!

Offline pt1318

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 03:37:53 AM »
I just re-read this myself and it says the law applies to new and renewal contracts...so to me that means it does not apply to existing ones.
Not sure when the contract with Securus runs out exactly but doesn't this writing mean that the effective date for the rate change won't necessarily be January 1st but instead whenever the current contract runs out which might be sometime later in the year?
I guess we'll know more in a few days...  :wc13:

Offline tmfreeman

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 07:41:31 AM »
Representative Ammons who pushed the bill told me personally that the rate change goes into effect January 1st regardless of the provider. If we don't see the change we should contact her office as Securus and/or IDOC will be violation of the law.

Offline sarashane

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 06:37:16 PM »
Youíd think Securus would have notified its customers of the change in an attempt to drum up more business. Their silence makes me wonder if they plan to comply.

Offline Sunflwrs

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 11:31:01 AM »
I re-read the new Illinois DOC phone law and one of the items that was exciting for oversees LO is the phone company has to offer "international calls not more than .23 cents per minute." That is FANTASTIC!

Offline pt1318

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 05:29:35 PM »
I re-read the new Illinois DOC phone law and one of the items that was exciting for oversees LO is the phone company has to offer "international calls not more than .23 cents per minute." That is FANTASTIC!

I agree, it's great that international calls are now officially allowed. Finally! I'll keep my Skype number though... still cheaper than $.23 a minute. :wc2:

Offline sarashane

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 11:16:07 PM »
I just had a live chat with Securus. I asked about the new call rates starting on 1/1/18. Not surprisingly, they had no information on new call rates. What could this mean?

Offline sarashane

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 11:41:01 PM »
Did some research. The contract with Securus is good thru June 2018. Looks like we have 6 more months to wait for cheaper calls.

Offline pt1318

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 06:21:36 AM »
Yes that's how I read it too, the law applies to new and renewal contracts only, so up until the existing contract runs out we'll still be paying the current rates.

Offline tmfreeman

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 12:00:14 PM »
Representative Ammons who pushed the bill told me personally that the rate change goes into effect January 1st regardless of the provider. If we don't see the change we should contact her office as Securus and/or IDOC will be violation of the law.

Offline sarashane

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 12:14:24 PM »
Thatís not what the law says. It clearly states new contracts or renewals. When were you told that? Before or after the bill was passed?

Offline tmfreeman

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 08:36:36 PM »
It also says beginning January 1, 2018. I believe the part you're quoting was included to ensure this lower rate is ongoing and not a one time thing. My conversation with Rep. Ammons was earlier this month and I specifically asked if it the rate change was dependent on the provider and any contracts or the date of the law given this was signed into law for last year but wouldn't go into effect until 2018 as well as Securus and IDOCs quietness. Her exact response was "The rate change is not contingent on the provider so you should not see a delay in a rate change after the first of the year. If you do, please let us know." I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Offline tmfreeman

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 12:53:31 AM »
Securus's rate calculator is now quoting 7 cents per minute. No connection fees and no transaction fee when adding funds. Yay! Happy New Year!

Offline AandMR

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 09:34:46 AM »
Ugh, blessed!!! Okay, do you know if we'll now be charged per minute or is it gonna do like it did before still? Either way, these phone rates are amazing!
Loverlover

Offline tmfreeman

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 12:05:13 PM »
My understanding is it'll be by the minute. Nobody's called yet today....go figure!

Offline cocoajo76

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 12:19:56 PM »
It is per minute and even if u only talk for a couple minutes u don't get charged for a whole call! We tested it out this morning! Lol Finally we aren't getting totally screwed to talk to our loved ones! Happy New Year!!

Offline Ray Rays bae

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 01:04:00 PM »
That's so great I'm excited too.we get a 30 min call for 1.05 now instead of the 3.55.

Offline kirstyknott

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 01:28:31 PM »
Anybody else having problems getting calls since the price change? My LO has tried all morning to phone but non of them are coming through :(

Offline cjm090

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 01:35:58 PM »
Just had a 30 minute call and was charged $2.32 instead of $3.92! Happy new year

Offline MaryKay

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 01:59:22 PM »
Great news!  I just checked my Securus account and two calls made by my son this morning are greatly reduced -  a 30 minute call that previously was $4.10 was $2.43 today....hip hip hooray!  Happy New Year!

Offline verysweet34

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 03:46:15 PM »
The calls are regulated the way they're suppose to be st 7 cents per minute. I had 56 cents left on my phone because I was scared to put more money on it before I got any new news and my l/o called today and we were able to talk almost 8min. So it's working. Just think in the past (a day ago) secures would have charge the entire $4.12 for a 8min call

Offline sarashane

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2018, 04:24:55 PM »
Iím so excited! Canít wait for my call tomorrow! We can talk daily now!

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2018, 04:30:53 PM »
Ray Ray's bae what is your area code a dollar a call that is unreal lol
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline cem31

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2018, 12:08:36 PM »
I just checked my Securus account and did the math, my calls are nor .081 per minute, not .07 as the new amendment stated. Not gona cry over 1 cent tho, just happy that calls are cheaper!

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2018, 12:23:24 PM »
Talked to my son who is in Taylorville and we are located on the West Central side of Illinois and a 30 minute call went from $3.88 to $2.30.  Its nice to see the legislators putting something in place that actually helps LO of incarcerated individuals. 

What is nice is that I think if you calls someone and talks for only 2 minutes we wont get the $3.88 charge like we used to.

Offline sarashane

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 02:08:44 PM »
My calls went from $4.34 to $2.58 which is great, but still more than 7 cents a minute. Should I complain or leave it alone?

Offline pt1318

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 04:22:26 PM »
Isn't part of it the sales tax, depending on which state you're in? I'm pretty sure that when I had a MO area code the calls were cheaper than when I had a WA area code, so maybe that's what it is...

Offline sarashane

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »
Could be, I didnít think of that.

Offline cjm090

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 06:09:03 PM »
Does anyone know how the calls work when on B grade? He said he gets 2 calls, but when he called the first time he said he got a message that he had 60 minutes remaining. We talked for a full 30 minutes but Iím wondering if itís really based on minutes. With the new pricing I would be willing to do 3x10 minute calls since thatís all Iím charged for. But I donít want to find out the hard way it doesnít work like that. Has anyone received calls on B grade under the new pricing?