• December 13, 2018, 02:47:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Securus phone call cost  (Read 2303 times)

Offline ERwife

Securus phone call cost
« on: November 05, 2017, 06:43:19 PM »
Has anyone heard that the cost of phone calls is going down to $2???

Offline cocoajo76

Re: Securus phone call cost
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 07:17:51 AM »
The beginning of the year phone calls are supposed to go down

Offline pt1318

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 12:36:30 PM »
That would be great! Where did you hear/read this? I looked on the Securus website and didn't find any info.
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline cocoajo76

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/rauner-signs-bill-limiting-prison-phone-call-costs/

This is all I could find really quick but if you search IDOC phone rates, you may be able to dig up more info. :) I'll be glad when rates go down too but my LO will be out mid February 2018. At least we'll save a little bit once the rates go down! 

Offline ERwife

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 06:27:45 PM »
That would be great! Where did you hear/read this? I looked on the Securus website and didn't find any info.

My LO told me about it this weekend.  This is such great news..... :wc6:

Offline tmfreeman

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 08:19:56 PM »
A law was signed that limited how much they can change for the calls. Someone posted it already above. It was signedinto law this year but goes into effect in January 2018 because the state was already under contract with Securus until then. There's a good chance Securus won't be the provider because they fought lowering the rates. I hate Securus anyway so hopefully it's someone else. And I look forward to saving a lot of money or getting more calls lol.

Offline pt1318

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 03:26:36 AM »
Right! Now it's starting to ring a bell... how did I forget about this?  :wc15:
IDOC has been getting a 76% kickback from Securus but since they now have to go with the cheapest provider (at least that's how I'm reading it) instead of the one paying the highest kickback hopefully that's over with too.  :wc7:
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline MaryKay

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 04:56:58 PM »
I sure hope a change doesn't cause problems with equipment,  etc. that would impact on calls.  I'll be keeping a low balance in my prepaid account with Securus😊

Offline Sunflwrs

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 05:00:12 AM »
Just recently my LO called me from Menard, the phone was 10 mins. Securus charged me for almost a full 30 mins. I sent Securus an email to dispute the charge their response was, they charge $3.35 for the first minute and then $0.02 for each minute afterwards. So I'm wondering if this is their solution to the new regulations that are coming up January 1st which would equal the same amount as a 30 minute phone call.

A law was signed that limited how much they can change for the calls. Someone posted it already above. It was signedinto law this year but goes into effect in January 2018 because the state was already under contract with Securus until then. There's a good chance Securus won't be the provider because they fought lowering the rates. I hate Securus anyway so hopefully it's someone else. And I look forward to saving a lot of money or getting more calls lol.

Offline cocoajo76

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 08:33:18 AM »
No matter if you talk for 1 minute or 30, you are still charged for a whole call. My understanding is that if as of the first of the year, you will only be charged for the time that you are on the phone. $4.10 per phone call is absolutely ridiculous! But we pay it because talking to our LO's daily or every other day makes the time a little easier on both of us. So glad our time is almost up!!

Offline pt1318

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 10:07:37 AM »
I would interpret it that way too. As of January the maximum they can charge per minute is $0.07 so to me that also means that they are not allowed to charge more for the 1st minute but the same amount for each minute you are on the phone.

Offline MaryKay

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 10:15:19 AM »
I noticed last night (and today) that caller ID for LO calls are coming up as Securus Technology with a different number than previously shown. Wonder if it means anything?

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 05:23:05 PM »
They only charge the connection fee for in state numbers i have a louisiana number for this reason they only charge by the minute so you only pay for the time you talk. It comes out the same for a whole call but cheaper for short calls
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline robin in ohio

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 12:48:05 AM »
So who will be the new provider at the first of the year when this change in call rates goes into effect?

Offline tmfreeman

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 08:45:07 PM »
I received an email from Rep Carol Ammons (the bill's sponsor). It said "The rate change is not contingent on the provider so you should not see a delay in a rate change after the first of the year. If you do, please let us know." So I guess they could stay with Securus, though it was my understanding that Securus did not want to comply with the rate change so when the contract was up IDOC would find someone else. Either way I'm just happy to see a HUGE savings here in the next few weeks.