• October 15, 2018, 04:02:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Video visits / living abroad  (Read 1494 times)

Offline pt1318

Video visits / living abroad
« on: October 09, 2017, 06:53:12 PM »
Hello everybody. I'm turning to the ladies on here who - like myself - don't live in the US...
Has one of you already had a video visit with her LO? I hope so because I could really use some help. :wc13:

1/ How did you register for the visits?
I tried the other day and couldn't even get past the very first step! Maybe I'm being dumb but the online application form where you enter all your personal info seems to be designed for US citizens/residents only?
Like it doesn't have a "country" line... Where did you put your country? Just anywhere?
And the line for the phone number only allows 10 digits which is too short for my entire number. How did you do that?

2/ How do you pay them?
I found out that GTL don't accept foreign credit cards, they have to be issued by a US bank.

3/ How does the identification process work?
What kind of ID did you use and how do they verify your identity? Did they accept your foreign IDs without any problems?

I know I could just call their customer support but I don't wanna stir up a hornet's nest, at least not before I tried here first... so paranoid. :wc2: So fingers crossed that one of you gals can answer my questions.

:wc38:
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline sarashane

Re: Video visits / living abroad
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:54:00 PM »
I wish I could help you. Iím in the states and am having trouble.
I had to go to a prison to find a man who treats me right!

Offline Jodiewodie32

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 06:25:30 AM »
Im following this one too... urgh everything is so complicated when you are on this side of the pond.
We dont have video visits yet..but ive been looking if you can pay via moneygram or something similar.
The phone number..i bought a Missouri skype number so that might work.
when I visited i used my passport and driving licence, so i presume if its good enough for a visit there then it would be ok for a video vist.
Hoping we can get this figured out!! X
💋

Offline pt1318

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 06:05:53 PM »
Same here, we don't have the video visits yet either but I thought it would be a good idea to register now and be ready for when they finally do have them. Didn't expect this mess...:-/
I have a Skype number too but since I'm not sure that using such a number is 100% officially allowed I really don't want to use that to register. Like I said... I'm paranoid.;-)  Signing up on the main website with my address and phone number was no problem but for the video visits it is.
This is also the very first time that a company refuses to accept my credit card because it's not issued by an American bank. I've never had that happen before ever!
I think for the email credits there might be other payment options - not for me though because money order, Western Union and check won't work from here either - but since it looks like each video visit is billed individually I think credit/debit card would be the only option there?
I really hope someone on here has already gotten past the registration and can help us figure this out.
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline sarashane

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 05:37:19 AM »
Iíve been rejected 3 times and asked to answer the same 2 questions over and over. Whether or not I plan to add a minor and can I prove my relationship to the minor. Itís maddening.
I had to go to a prison to find a man who treats me right!

Offline pt1318

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 09:02:24 AM »
Sarashane were you finally able to register? I hope so, I just found out today that they actually started the video visits a week ago! :wc7:  Please let me know if it worked and how it was. I'm so excited!!!! But now I'm even more frustrated too because of this whole GTL mess. :wc96:  Looks like I'm going to call customer support soon and hopefully get some useful info from them for once. Fingers crossed.

Offline pt1318

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 01:18:10 PM »
Hi all, quick update :wc2:
So I called GTL's visitation support, waited 25 minutes to finally talk to someone, but she was extremely friendly and helpful.
Turns out registering from a different country is not even a problem really, guess I was stressing myself out for nothing. :wc15:
Here's how it worked for me: When registering I put my country in the "state/province" line and the GTL lady said as far as she knows the zip code has to be a 5-digit zip code. If your zip code has a different format she said you can just put in a US zip code. The phone number has to be a US phone number though but you can just use a friend's or relative's number or a Skype number. After that you just answer the questions, the rest of the registration is pretty self-explanatory and worked smoothly. It only asks for one ID and I used my driver's license, you can also use your passport.
Now my registration has to be reviewed and approved by the facility, I just hope that works just a smoothly as the registration. The support agent also said she thinks I should be fine with my credit card, so I'll try that out as soon as I can, hopefully soon! :wc7:

Offline ERwife

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 03:16:07 PM »
Iíve been rejected 3 times and asked to answer the same 2 questions over and over. Whether or not I plan to add a minor and can I prove my relationship to the minor. Itís maddening.

Sarashane, were you able to add a minor.  I was emailed and informed that my sons were rejected and given instructions to mail their birth certificates but i dont know who or where to mail it to.  And when I call, Ive been on hold longer than I can wait. 

If anyone knows  the answer please respond.

Offline pt1318

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 02:12:32 AM »
I didn't add any children so unfortunately I don't know the answer. When I called there about my registering issue I was on hold for almost 30 mins too but I waited it out and it was worth it, the lady was very nice and helpful. So I would try to call again, maybe early in the morning if you can so there might be less people waiting in line. Good luck.

Offline Arrabella

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 05:16:38 AM »
I know this is an old thread and might not be answered but I wondered how you were going with this? Did your credit card work?
Iíve been using gtl connectnetwork to email a friend in menard for months but gtl have just realised that my credit cards are UK ones and are now declining payments.
My boyfriend is in Dixon and they are getting email and video visit facilities really soon and weíve been waiting so so long for them.  Iím really upset because gtl have started rejecting my calls and after all this waiting Iím not going to get them.
There must be a way round it. Iím wondering about getting a prepaid American credit card but Iím worried itíll cost the earth and I canít afford much

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 08:10:34 AM »
If you know anyone in the states, you can get a pre-paid credit card at any supermarket/Walmart/Target checkout line. Usually the cost is $5 on top of the amount you are putting on the card.
He's home!

Offline pt1318

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 09:17:50 AM »
I know this is an old thread and might not be answered but I wondered how you were going with this? Did your credit card work?
Iíve been using gtl connectnetwork to email a friend in menard for months but gtl have just realised that my credit cards are UK ones and are now declining payments.
My boyfriend is in Dixon and they are getting email and video visit facilities really soon and weíve been waiting so so long for them.  Iím really upset because gtl have started rejecting my calls and after all this waiting Iím not going to get them.
There must be a way round it. Iím wondering about getting a prepaid American credit card but Iím worried itíll cost the earth and I canít afford much

They did accept my German credit card for the video visits without a problem. That was back in November when I first scheduled one. Unfortunately we never got to have that video visit (different reason, not GTL related) but I would still expect it to work now. I also have another friend in prison in another state where GTL is the phone provider and found out that I can use my credit card for those payments too, I just have to re-enter my credit card info each time I make a payment, they won't let you store it if it's not American. I don't know anything about prepaid credit cards though.

Offline Arrabella

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 05:36:51 PM »
I had someone go and get me a prepaid credit card today. It worked on her gtl account but didnít work on mine. I cannot understand why it wouldnít work as gtl accept credit/debit cards registered in America. That should include prepaid cards. I have been waiting to be able to email and video visit for so long now. I canít believe just as it happens gtl stop accepting my cards. Iíve even tried a vpn today and that hasnít worked.

Offline pt1318

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 05:27:37 PM »
Where exactly does it tell you that your payment got declined? When you try to buy email credits? Have you tried unchecking the box where it says that you want to store your credit card info for future payments?
Or does it happen when you try to schedule a video visit? Does Dixon already have them and have you already been approved?

Offline Arrabella

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 05:35:14 AM »
Itís declined when I try and buy email credits. Iíve tried deleting all my cards, not saving them, adding them again. Iíve tried visa credit and debit and MasterCard and an American prepaid card. Iíve tried using a vpn so my up address is American. Iíve tries everything I can think of.

Dixon donít have video visits yet. They are getting email and video visit facilities in the next couple of months. All the wiring and stuff is going in now.  I email a friend in menard which is why I wanted to buy email credits and found out my cards were being declined.  It just so happens that itís started happening just as Dixon is about to get emails and thatís what upsets me as my boyfriend and I have been waiting so long for this to finally happen. Iím running out of ideas but there must be a way round it.

Gtl say they donít accept overseas cards because they can validate them but no other company has issues. If you argue they say inmates arenít allowed overseas calls anyway which maybe true but they are allowed overseas emails and video visits.

Offline MrsHonniB

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 02:05:16 PM »
It sounds funny but I put in my dutch credit card (VISA) with my name and adress but with an USA aerea code. I did the same with Jpay long time ago and never had any trouble with it....
It was accepted right away eventhough I said I live in the Netherlands.....
If nothing ever change there wouldn't be no butterflyes!