• May 23, 2018, 01:40:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Sending money to daughters friend  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Cinsue

Sending money to daughters friend
« on: July 25, 2017, 07:05:51 PM »
My daughter called today and asked if I could put $30 on another inmates books so she can buy a fan.  She says this girl is only getting state funds and no one is helping her financially.  I don't mind doing it, hate to see someone sufferiing in this heat, but I told my daughter no because I didn't want to get either of us in trouble -- I've been told not to put money on anyone else's books.  Is that correct?  Thanks!

Offline trauma4us

Re: Sending money to daughters friend
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 07:31:06 PM »
Yes, that is correct.  This may be nothing but on the other hand, it could get you/daughter both in trouble

Offline Nemdf

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 07:46:47 AM »
I wonder if it could possibly done by someone completely unrelated to your daughter?  Then there would not be a way to track it back to you/her.  ??  Just a thought.

Offline Cinsue

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 09:59:30 AM »
I wonder if it could possibly done by someone completely unrelated to your daughter?  Then there would not be a way to track it back to you/her.  ??  Just a thought.

That's a good idea!  If the girl hasn't gotten a fan the next time I speak with my daughter, I'll see if a friend will send the money.

Offline Cinsue

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 10:00:32 AM »
Yes, that is correct.  This may be nothing but on the other hand, it could get you/daughter both in trouble

Thanks for the confirmation.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 05:02:44 PM »
Again not a good idea - trying to circumvent the system isn't the best thing. If you or the other unrelated person is caught there will still be repercussions. 

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 05:40:17 PM »
So, you may only send money to one inmate?

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 04:56:29 AM »
What trauma says is true. Your putting funds in another inmates books, if noticed, will look like your inmate is buying something from this other inmate. They are both in the same prison, they hang around each other.

Offline kah2006

• Support Staff
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 07:54:18 AM »
I don't see why you or your daughter would get into trouble for it. I have sent money to my son's cellmate several times, most recently to buy a fan, and it has never been a problem.
A smart bear once said, "If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you." - Winnie the Pooh

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 05:53:21 PM »
At least where my son is, there are clear rules about engaging in any conversation or correspondence with anyone but OUR inmate.  Even in the visiting room there are clear signs posted that talking between visitors is not tolerated. I doubt that this is allowed and to be honest I won't do anything to even remotely get my son in trouble.