• November 13, 2018, 10:29:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Mail at Stateville  (Read 2794 times)

Offline RandK

Mail at Stateville
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:27:04 PM »
Hello, everyone.
I'm new here, but hoping to receive any possible help. My boyfriend was arrested about a week ago. I hadn't received any calls or letters from him yet, but I have written him 3 letters. He is in Stateville Correctional Center and I'm currently in Chicago. I guess my question is, does anyone know how long it Usually takes for an inmate to receive letters from someone in Chicago? Also, will the wait be the same time length for receiving letters from an inmate? His current status on the IDOC website is "Reception" at the NRC, would that be a factor? Lastly, Does anyone know which days mail is distributed to the inmates? Because I was told that not all prisons are the same in Illinois when it comes to mail distribution. Thank you to all who can help!

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
Re: Mail at Stateville
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 03:55:12 AM »
Welcome to IPT. Recieving is the hardest part. Keep writing him as much as possible. The mail is slow, especially for those in recieving. If he can get a letter out to you, it'll get to you much faster than your will get to him. Hopefully your loved one will be transfered soon. Sign up for vine notifications so you'll know when he's transfered out. Hang in there!

Offline RandK

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 05:36:02 AM »
Thank you so much for the quick response. I'm hoping that he's gotten at least one of my letters and that I hear from him soon. I was told that the mail rooms at some prisons are usually backed up. Has anyone ever experienced this issue who has a LO in Stateville?

Welcome to IPT. Recieving is the hardest part. Keep writing him as much as possible. The mail is slow, especially for those in recieving. If he can get a letter out to you, it'll get to you much faster than your will get to him. Hopefully your loved one will be transfered soon. Sign up for vine notifications so you'll know when he's transfered out. Hang in there!

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 06:58:05 AM »
My LO was there in April and mail took about 10 days.

Offline RandK

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 01:19:33 PM »
Thank you so much for your response Haleyjen. Were those 10 days the amount of time it took for your LO to receive your letter? Or how long it took to receive a letter from your LO? Or both? Are you from Chicago as well (if you're okay with me asking)?

Just looking for a timeframe, because I'm tired of the disappointment each morning I check my mail. Today makes 10 days he's been there. Trying my hardest to be patient and not to worry so much. Thanks again for your response.

My LO was there in April and mail took about 10 days.

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 02:48:05 PM »
Yes, I'm in Chicago - about 10 days going in both directions.  Is he in reception?

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 02:52:47 PM »
Don't expect any more than maybe one letter from him right now if your even lucky enough to get that. While in reception he can't go to commissary so he won't have paper, pen, or write outs. This really is the hardest part of the journey.

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 03:36:14 PM »
True.  My LO got really lucky and the guards let him keep the ones he brought from County.

Offline RandK

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 08:06:03 AM »
Thanks so much guys for your helpful responses. Yes my LO's current status is in Reception, so I guess it must be safe to assume that I won't be hearing from him until he's out of reception and shipped/assigned to the imstitution he'll be serving his sentence?

Although I may not be able to receive any letters from him at this time, he'll still be able to receive/read the letters I've sent out to him while he's in reception?

Offline pt1318

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 02:09:52 AM »
Yes he will get your letters and - as far as I know - once he gets moved to another prison they will forward any letters you might have still sent to Stateville to the new prison.
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 06:21:56 PM »
If he's in reception for 30 days or more they'll let him call.  Is he waiting on a regular or a boot camp placement?

Offline RandK

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 09:07:32 PM »
Thanks for the responses, guys! He is waiting on a regular placement. Really hoping to hear from him soon.

If he's in reception for 30 days or more they'll let him call.  Is he waiting on a regular or a boot camp placement?

Offline RandK

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 09:25:49 PM »
Thanks for the responses, guys! He is waiting on a regular placement. Really hoping to hear from him soon. Follow-up question, if they allow for him to make calls if he's been in reception for 30days or more, does that mean that he'll also be able to access his commissary?

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 11:18:13 AM »
I believe they allow them 20 dollars of commissary for necessities after 30 days.  We never got there as my LO went to his first parent prison on day 21.

Offline RandK

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 11:28:16 AM »
Okay, good to know. Thank you so much!

I believe they allow them 20 dollars of commissary for necessities after 30 days.  We never got there as my LO went to his first parent prison on day 21.

Offline lyricrenae96

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 08:06:15 PM »
Can anyone tell me if itís allowed to send like crossword books and stuff like that? I read you can only send them through amazon directly. If I can send them what kind of envelopes are allowed to send them In?

Offline 3tenjen

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 08:10:46 PM »
Yes you can. Used books are ok too. Manila envelope is what I sent them in. Expect it to takes 2 weeks for your LO to get them. If heís in r&c he may not even get them til he moves to his parent prison. Mine only got one letter bevire he was moved.

Offline lyricrenae96

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 09:00:38 PM »
 :wc11:okay thanks so much for the information!

Online Azi224

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 11:58:15 AM »
You can send books mags and crosswords, ,mine was in NRC and would get the mail in 3/4 day, i sent it thru USPS with a tracking in manila bubble envelope its around $6. This was just last month too! :)

Offline lyricrenae96

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 07:47:06 AM »
Thanks so much! My boyfriend is also in the NRC so that helps to know how long itíll take to get to him. He isnít in there much longer so I wasnít sure if it was even worth sending