• February 23, 2019, 09:47:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: HB2989  (Read 2175 times)

Offline pt1318

HB2989
« on: July 18, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=2989&GAID=14&GA=100&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=104525&SessionID=91

I'm not sure how to read the part about video visitation, maybe one of you can help: Does this simply mean they're not allowed to do away with in-person visits in the future even if video visits are available? Or does it mean that they're not allowed to deduct video visits from the "regular" number of allowed (in-person) visits but have to allow a certain number of video visits in addition to the regular ones?
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline holdinitdown

Re: HB2989
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 12:09:24 AM »
I am unsure as well but it seems like it is saying not only may they not get rid of in person visits but also must let us have all 6 plus video visits that elf be great
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline pt1318

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:37:49 AM »
Yes that would be awesome. I hope that's how they mean it. :wc38:
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline verysweet34

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »
Yes this would be great but I just wonder how many video visitations are we going to be allowed in addition to the in person visits that varies prison to prison (most ranging from 5-7)  :wc38:

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 02:32:45 AM »
I am not sure but to me as long as it doesn't mess with my in person visits even 1 additional visit would be amazing even if it is video
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline pt1318

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 03:06:03 AM »
I agree. Even though I live too far away for regular in-person visits, so even 1 or 2 video visits a month would be more than what we have now. But I definitely wouldn't want them to reduce the number of in-person visits for all of you who are able to do both, in-person and video.

Offline pt1318

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 03:19:07 AM »
I think at the moment it says up to 2 video visits per week? But it also says that they currently count towards the regular visits, so in my case that would be a max of 6 video visits per month without any in-person visits. I have no idea how they would do it in the future.

Offline verysweet34

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 07:18:48 PM »
In Ohio some prisons will allow u to video visit as much as u want but at the same time there is a 2 minimum per month in person visit from each l/o/friend

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 06:48:40 AM »

I think what they are amending, is inmates will be eligible for in house visits, even if they have video visits available at each facility.

THEY ARE NOT taking away in house visits and I know that has been a rumor going around.

House Committee Amendment No. 3

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Unified Code of Corrections.

Provides that the Department of Corrections may not restrict or limit in-person visits to committed persons due to the availability of interactive video conferences.

Provides that the Department shall issue a standard written policy for each institution and facility of the Department that provides for:

(1) the number of in-person visits each committed person is entitled to per week and per month;

(2) the hours of in-person visits;

(3) the type of identification required for visitors at least 18 years of age; and

(4) the type of identification, if any, required for visitors under 18 years of age.

Provides that this policy shall be posted on the Department website and at each facility. Provides that the Department shall post on its website daily any restrictions or denials of visitation for
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline pt1318

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 10:34:23 AM »
Hi all,
Just saw that this has now been signed by the Governor.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=100-0142
 :wc7: