• February 23, 2019, 09:57:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: HB 2515  (Read 10473 times)

Offline ashleysiek

Re: HB 2515
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2017, 12:59:39 AM »
Has anyone read hb531? It's in Senate and supposed to be up in the fall session this year (veto sessiom) according to the state rep.

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 12:26:38 PM »
I am confused am I reading the wrong thing? All this has to do with is building code violations. How does this affect prison reform?
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline pt1318

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2017, 03:11:44 PM »
https://actionnetwork.org/letters/restore-parole-for-illinois-youth?source=direct_link

I found this online and it talks about HB531, but when I look up the bill all I find is something about creating a new offense called criminal building management? So I'm confused just like holdinitdown...
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline ashleysiek

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2017, 04:11:47 PM »

Offline pt1318

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2017, 05:34:52 PM »
Thanks, found it now.;-)  Doesn't sound like it would be retroactive though... Or am I reading it wrong? 
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2017, 09:23:30 PM »
I don't think you are reading it wrong it says on or after effective date of ammendatory act so that would be from here moving forward. I do not understand how this is going to lower any of the prison population of it is not going to be retroactive it won't make a difference at all for atleast 10 years
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline ashleysiek

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2017, 10:57:11 PM »
That's where it is all too confusinh. My l/o is serving a 20 yr bid for murder. It says that they have to serve a minimum of 30 years however 3 years prior to being parole eligible they may apply for parole. Would he apply at 17 years, being that that is when he is 3 years prior to his eligibility? If that makes sense lol. If so, that puts him at next year.

I feel it should retro bsck that way . People who have been serving these 10+ year sentences have had much time to think, reflect and have a second chance to make a better life instead of wasting more time in prison doing absolutely nothing since let's face it, our IDOC has very small structure.

Offline robin in ohio

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2017, 12:01:04 AM »
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but I believe that this HB531 bill has passed the house and most of the votes in the Senate is in favor of it. What's the dif in this bill and the HB2515 bill?

Offline pt1318

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2017, 09:42:02 AM »
Not sure there is a difference between HB531 and the last version of HB2515. Looks like up until the 1st amendment of HB2515 it was going to be retroactive but from the 2nd amendment onward that section seems to have been deleted. It originally read:

Except for those individuals sentenced prior to
February 1, 1978, and who are eligible for parole release by
the Prisoner Review Board at the time of the effective date of
this amendatory Act of the 100th General Assembly, this Section
shall operate retroactively to a person incarcerated for an
offense or offenses committed before the effective date of this
amendatory Act of the 100th General Assembly when he or she was
under the age of 21 at the time of the commission of the
offense or offenses.

But that section is no longer in there now, so I'm afraid it would only apply to people sentenced on or after the effective date. If they're not going to make this retroactive, it'll be useless to all of us.  :wc96:

Offline willied

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2017, 11:23:09 AM »
    SB1722 does very little to relax counterproductive truth in sentencing (TIS) restrictions.  For the most part, it wastes pages listing the current regulations.  Kathryn Saltmarsh’s excellent ‘Sentencing Policy Advisory Council’ (SPAC) analyzed the bill as follows – “SB1722 increases eligibility for supplemental sentence credit and programming credit for certain inmates who earn only 7.5 days of credit for every month served pursuant to 75% TIS, (730ILCS 5/3 -6/3(a)(2)).  However, credits are limited in that time served cannot go below 60% of the imposed sentence.---“

“Approx.  430 people in prison are under 75% TIS Restrictions.

If IDOC were able to reduce the time served from 75% to 60% for these inmates, the average time served would fall by approx. 1.6 years.  In the SPAC population projection, the sentence credit could reduce the prison population between 10 and 20 inmates.

That is wonderful for those few, VERY INSIGNIFICANT in reducing our overcrowded prisons and balancing costs. There are NO relaxing TIS for inmates serving 100%, and the bill restates that 85% inmates remain at 85%.

Gov. Rauner and many others praised the work of his Commission on Criminal Justice and Sentencing Reform (CJSR).  The CJSR recommended (Reform #19) that TIS be relaxed as follows:  100% to serve no less than 90%; 85% no less than 75%; 75% no less than 60%.  Ms. Saltmarsh’s SPAC had previously analyzed a bill (Hbefore123) that was very similar to current HB2882 and HB3355 in relaxing the TIS restrictions.  The analysis covered 3 years (2011-2013) and was calculated with inmates receiving the maximum number of allowable sentence credits. The dollars saved over that period were TREMENDOUS!  Potentially up to $256 MILLIONS!  If House Bills 2882 and 3355 were amended to allow retroactive sentence credit, then passed, inmates could begin being processed out quickly, and the TREMENDOUS dollar savings start being realized.

My personal preference is HB3355.

Respectfully,          willied
William Oliver Deere

Offline ashleysiek

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2017, 04:54:17 PM »
It is such a shame that HB531 is so close to passing, but won't make a difference to any of our loved ones currently serving a sentence.

We all should write to the governor, state reps and legislators to urge them to write this retroactively. How is it fair for it to benefit future inmates but not our loved ones who have served a significant amount of time. I have emailed all of the reps on this bill and hope everyone else can do the same to be the voice our loved ones can't be.

Offline verysweet34

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2017, 08:55:02 AM »
It is such a shame that HB531 is so close to passing, but won't make a difference to any of our loved ones currently serving a sentence.

We all should write to the governor, state reps and legislators to urge them to write this retroactively. How is it fair for it to benefit future inmates but not our loved ones who have served a significant amount of time. I have emailed all of the reps on this bill and hope everyone else can do the same to be the voice our loved ones can't be.

Exactly. There's more inmates currently locked up then it is coming through the doors. Some have been locked up for 10-20+ years and for someone to benefit from it in the future is a slap in the face

Offline ashleysiek

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2017, 10:18:56 PM »
Exactly !!! I emailed every rep on this bill stating how it should be retroactive and isn't fair. Doubt it will help but any chance is worth it

Offline willied

Re: HB 2515 and SB1722
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2018, 08:37:14 PM »
Senate sponsors:   Kwame Raoul   Antonio Munoz  Omar Aquino

House sponsors:  Jim Durkin     Jamie M. Andrade  Jr   John M. Cabello
     Patricia R. Bellock   David Harris  Tom Demmer  Barbara Wheeler
  Michael P. McAuliffe, Brian Stewart

Gov. Bruce Rauners Commission on Criminal Justice and Sentencing Reform  {CJSR) was highly acclaimed and praised when it released its final report with recommendations in December of 2016.  One of the commission’s recommendations (Reform #19) was that Truth In Sentencing (TIS) laws be relaxed as follows:  100% to serve no less than 90%;  85% no less than 75%; 75% no less than 60%.  The CJSR made a strong case for extending the ability to earn sentence credit to inmates sentenced under TIS (pages 55-60).  On page 59, they state, “These restrictions are counterproductive.---“

Your Senate Bill 1722 granted the ability to earn credit to inmates sentenced at 75%, but specifically excluded the other categories.  May we inquire why you chose to ignore the CJSR recommendations for the 100% and 85% inmates? Would (are) you consider an amendment to include the 100% and 85% inmates? Including the 100% and the 85% TIS inmates would help to significantly reduce the overcrowded prison system, and potentially save hundreds of millions of dollars.

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LEGISLATORS ABOUT AMENDING  SB 1722    THANK YOU

Respectfully,      willied

William Oliver Deere