• March 18, 2019, 07:21:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: First visit - what to expect?  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Arrabella

First visit - what to expect?
« on: February 13, 2017, 10:16:32 AM »
Hey 😊

I'm flying to Chicago from the UK in 6 weeks do visit a friend in Dixon.  Hoping to use all 5 of his monthly visits in one week.  I've never stepped foot in an American prison.  Haven't even been to the states for 17 years!  I've asked my friend for an idea but he's as much use as a chocolate teapot with this stuff and you practically hear him shrugging down the phone.
So can anyone give me an idea of what to expect/what's expected of me/anything I really need to know.  I'm getting nervous now and I'm sure I'd feel better if I had some kind of idea what's going to happen!

Offline bquinonez

• Its me "B"
Re: First visit - what to expect?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 09:19:05 PM »
My husband is at Dixon. C/Os are cool. You only need 1 form of ID. Locker is free. Vending card is $5 to get then when you add funds to the card it gives you $3 credit. I believe you have to have a $5 bill to get the card no singles. But you can add with singles to load it. They get you in pretty quick from the visitor center to the visiting room (which is only a few feet away). They aren't as strict with clothing but just don't wear anything reviling.
When you get into the visiting room, you gotta check in at the desk where the C/O will tell you which table to sit at. Vending machines are pretty pricey now. But they have a good variety of food and drinks. 
If his is your first time visiting they will make you fill out some form (nothing unusual).
Hope this helps.
Oh and make sure you have his ID number
Two Hearts One Love

Offline nhealey

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 02:45:19 AM »
I'm visiting my boyfriend for the first time on the 22nd at Stateville. I'm such a ridiculous bundle of nerves. I am coming all the way from Nevada so I know how scary it is. I hope you have a really good visit.  :wc30:

Offline jts

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 07:22:50 AM »
I just noticed that you were advised that you only needed 1 form of id. You may need 2 since it is your first visit.

Offline Jodiewodie32

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 09:49:30 AM »
 Hey.. coming from the UK I brought my passport and drivers license, I had a DBS form too but I don't think that was necessary, just take as many forms of photo ID as you can and something with your address on x
💋

Offline Arrabella

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 02:53:08 PM »
Thanks you so much for the replies!  Sorry it took me a while to get back.

Can someone tell me if I'll be ok wearing a hoodie?  I know I can't wear one with a zipper but will I be ok with a regular hoodie?  I need to go shopping if not. I live in hoodies!

Offline jts

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »
I know you cannot wear any kind of hoodie at Taylorville. It might not be worth it to try and get turned away.

Offline Arrabella

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »
Crap bags! Having to take my scarf off is bad enough! Better check eBay out I guess...

Offline Gizgirl2

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 06:01:42 PM »
Thanks you so much for the replies!  Sorry it took me a while to get back.

Can someone tell me if I'll be ok wearing a hoodie?  I know I can't wear one with a zipper but will I be ok with a regular hoodie?  I need to go shopping if not. I live in hoodies!

You can also call the prison and ask if hoodies are allowed. Might save you a shopping trip.

Hope you have a great visit!

Offline Ray Rays bae

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 06:09:31 PM »
my fiancé is in Dixon.yes you can wear hoodies there.I wear hoodies a lot when I visit.As long as they don't have a zipper.pull over hoodies are ok to wear

Offline ERwife

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 08:45:20 PM »
I have worn a hoodie at Dixon also but I always bring an extra shirt just in case.  If they allow you to wear the hoodie, you can put the extra shirt in the locker.  The visits are usually limited to 4 hours as of January 2017 but when I visited last week the CO told me that during the week they are allowing visits to go longer if there is not a lot of people.  Safe travels and have a good visit.

Offline Arrabella

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 02:21:14 AM »
Thank you so much for that! That's really helpful and eases some stress.  I'll wear my trusty hoodies and just take an extra.

I've written the warden requesting extended visits given I'm travelling so far but haven't heard anything back. My LO said he'd write him this week too.  Hopefully they'll be approved but if not I'm just happy to be there as long as I can be.