• March 18, 2019, 07:25:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Questions About Visiting Hill  (Read 2473 times)

Offline OnlyLeftie3

Questions About Visiting Hill
« on: February 10, 2017, 11:59:50 PM »
I've read all of the posts regarding what to wear and not wear when visiting loved ones in prison. I have just a couple questions because I'll be going for my first visit in a couple weeks and I'm very nervous. Thanks in advance for any information I can get!

1. Are skinny jeans and boots acceptable to wear? I know leggings and jeggings are a no, but I'm still unsure about skinny jeans.
2. Can I wear an underwire bra or no? I've read a few posts saying that they couldn't be worn which seems weird but I don't have any that are not underwire so I just want to be sure.
3. What about zip up sweaters, are the okay to wear or are you only allowed pull over sweaters?
4. As far as piercings go, I have my cartilage pierced, my lobes pierced, and my belly button pierced. Are all of those allowed to be worn during the visit? Not that I'm planning to show my stomach off or anything like that but I wasn't sure if they would want me to take it out.
5. Here's a stupid question, the answer is probably no, but can I bring chapstick in to the visiting room?

Offline ajsmom2006

Re: Questions About Visiting Hill
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »
Hello!

About your questions about the Hill---they are tough on the dress code. You're best bet would be regular jeans non skinny. Your pants MUST have pockets. Yes you can wear sweaters as long as you are searched with them on (make them part of your outfit). As for your tops pull over sweaters are your best bet. The higher the collar the better. If you have a top with a scoop neck even if you aren't showing cleavage you will be asked to flip it around or change. You can wear underwire bras. Just make sure you can shake it out. Never had an issue (that's all I wear). I don't know about piercings but I know they will look at your jewelry to make sure it's not gang related. No watches are allowed. Hope that helps a little.

Offline OnlyLeftie3

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 04:18:02 AM »
Thank you so much for your advice! It definitely is helpful! I think im going to go out and buy prison approved pants! I'm a nurse so I was thinking about bringing scrubs to wear as back up just in case. Would they allow that?

Online trauma4us

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 07:42:16 AM »
I'm an NP and yes scrubs are fine - I don't visit Hill but rather Taylorville and with scrubs I've never had issues.  BTW chapstick is a no-no.

Offline OnlyLeftie3

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 11:21:03 PM »
Good to know, thank you! I actually might just wear scrubs the first time I visit to see what other people are wearing and to ask about more specific dress code rules. I had a feeling chap stick was a no but the thought of parting with it for 4 hours is troubling. Ha!

Online trauma4us

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 05:37:38 AM »
Just make sure with scrubs that you wear a high neck tshirt underneath. 

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 08:24:56 AM »
So wide leg jeans with a pullover sweater is ok?  Any limitations on shoes?  I'm going to Hill in a few weeks.  What about a hooded sweatshirt if it doesn't have a zipper.

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 02:44:27 PM »
Scrubs are not allowed at big muddy so they are all different I would call ahead first as far as the scrubs go.
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 03:53:20 PM »
Question about phones.  Can they go in the locker.  I don't have a car and will be taking Amtrak and unsure what to do about my phone.

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »
In Taylorville you cannot bring them in and we have to leave them in the vehicle.  Although I am not positive about the Hill I assume it will be the same since they don't want any pictures taken inside for security reasons. 

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 04:55:40 PM »
I don't have a vehicle or license (always lived in large cities) so I guess that means I need a hotel room!

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 05:37:20 PM »
You might want to call and check first and not take my word for it.  But they are pretty strict on some rules because they could be disciplined for not following policy. 

A couple of weeks ago on Memorial day they searched vehicles in the parking lot at Taylorville.  Went thru everything.  The CO were very apologetic but had to do it.  Ii you wouldn't let them search your vehicle you didn't get to visit.

One thing to remember is to check on the number of weekend visits you are allowed and remember that holidays even though they fall on a weekday are counted as a weekend visit.