• December 13, 2018, 02:47:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Skype calls  (Read 906 times)

Offline Arrabella

Skype calls
« on: January 01, 2017, 11:08:26 AM »
Hi,

I have a friend in Dixon and I am in the UK.  Until the new call rates come in it is too expensive for him to call me but I've had several people recommend that I use Skype to get a local number to Dixon and have calls forwarded through that to my phone and we'd only pay the usual call costs.  My friend is concerned that the phones in the prison will detect the call being forwarded and won't let it happen.  I can't imagine this will be an issue but I said I'd do some research and see if I can put his mind at rest.  Does anyone have an experience with that?
Once the new call costs come into effect we'll be able to talk without it (though why would we if it's working!) but neither of us really want to wait that long.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Offline Kdm

Re: Skype calls
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 11:30:53 AM »
Wait for confirmation of someone here to tell you otherwise, I know that there were previous issues with Securus and numbers that were registered as VOIP.  My gut says that it should be fine now, as they presently allow mobile phone numbers and did not previously.

Online Jodiewodie32

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »
Hi I'm also in the UK your network provider can give you a number in the US (I have a Chicago one). I'm with o2 and it costs 10 a month.. you can then use that on a securus account. Securus wouldn't let me set up an account with a skype number, although it might of worked for other people. Any questions PM me ☺
💋

Offline Arrabella

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »
Jodiewodie that's really useful to know. I tried to pm you but I can't get it to work. I'm with EE and I have no idea whether they would do something similar but if really like to know more about it