• October 15, 2018, 11:13:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Kewanee Opening  (Read 11939 times)

Offline AandMR

Re: Kewanee Opening
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2018, 09:50:41 PM »
Does anybody have information on visits? How many they're allowed, weekend/holiday rules, how long we're allowed to stay there on the visits. Are the visits pretty smooth sailing? My LO is also in Taylorville and my husband is considering putting in for the transfer to kewanee but he's worried about leaving there, being as it is one of the more nice prisons, and the kewanee ends up being a downgrade for him. He is under 3 years and his counselor suggested that he put in for it. What is the housing like? His counselor told him that they're in their own cells by themselves, not sure how true that is?
Loverlover

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2018, 05:34:14 AM »
Hi there - seems like everyone from Taylorville is putting in for Kewanee - lol.  My son did also.

Kewanee is single-celled at the moment but thats because they only have about 200 guys there so far. It is out in the middle of nowhere (kinda like Taylorville except Kewanee is a smaller town).  Not sure of visiting rules.

I like the sound of the programming though and hope they start transferring more guys there soon.

Offline ERwife

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2018, 09:15:51 PM »

There is not a limit on the number of visits per month.  Weekend visits are the same as during the week from 9am until 8pm (but you must be checked in by 6pm).  My visits have been smooth sailing.  However, it appears that some of the staff are still trying to figure things out.  My LO and I absolutely LOVE Kewanee.  He feels somewhat free and independent.  The phone hours are more relaxed also.  He usually calls me at 5am because thats when Im getting ready for work.  But they have phone privileges until 10:30pm.  He describes commissary as walking to the corner store.  All the staff are pretty helpful and offer a lot of support.  He also talks about how helpful and interesting the classes are.  I have visited twice since he got there in February and this last visit we were able to take pictures.

Unfortunately @Trauma4us, they are not single celled.  Some people are but most have a cell mate.   

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2018, 08:57:07 PM »
Thanks so much for the info....can I ask how much longer your husband has?

Offline ERwife

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2018, 09:46:06 PM »
Youre welcome! 2 years as of today date.  However, we are hoping for some program credit/SSC.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2018, 05:43:05 AM »
Thats fantastic - congrats!

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2018, 06:21:50 AM »
Can one get an associate degree there??

Offline ERwife

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2018, 06:59:08 AM »
Im not sure.  I know that they have staff/professors from the college come and teach some of the computer courses but I dont know if they offer an Associates.  But, they are still developing and adding programs so maybe if not now, then one day.

Offline AandMR

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2018, 07:16:24 PM »
Thank you so much for all of the help! My husband has decided to put in for the transfer. Prayers are welcome that he'd be blessed with it! He wanted me to ask, is he allowed to go to the gym whenever he wants? He gets up at 3 AM and works out 😨 he had two other concerns too, but I've forgotten them....😂
Loverlover

Offline ERwife

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2018, 05:05:27 PM »
Thank you so much for all of the help! My husband has decided to put in for the transfer. Prayers are welcome that he'd be blessed with it! He wanted me to ask, is he allowed to go to the gym whenever he wants? He gets up at 3 AM and works out 😨 he had two other concerns too, but I've forgotten them....😂

I dont know about the gym hours.  My LO works out daily but he usually go in the evening after his classes and job.