• December 11, 2018, 11:43:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Kewanee Opening  (Read 12406 times)

Offline MaryKay

Re: Kewanee Opening
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 08:05:30 PM »
Zippered tops (sweaters; sweatshirts) are now allowed, provided you have some type of shirt under it; hooded sweatshirts/sweaters are allowed but hoods can't be worn. If I remember correctly, yoga pants/jeggings are now allowed provided your bottom is covered; no necklaces.  There were a few other things posted on the door, but I can't recall what they were.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2017, 08:41:31 PM »
Thanks for the clarification on the zippers - I couldn't remember. 

Offline MrsHonniB

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2017, 02:34:41 PM »
My man has LOWP and is incarcerated for 32 years , now the warden asked him to transfer to Kewanee to be a tutor to the younger inmates.
Can anyone tell me something about those tutor programms? He has to decide this monday and asked me to find out some information for him .
If nothing ever change there wouldn't be no butterflyes!

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2018, 08:02:51 AM »
Has anyone got anymore info thats more recent?

My son is putting in for Kewanee (from Taylorville) as it will be much closer for us but he is also hoping for some training.

Does anyone know if there are restrictions as to crimes?  The reason I ask is that my son has a Class X violent crime.

Thanks for any info.

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2018, 01:09:08 PM »
Hi Trauma4us

I checked the quarterly reports and it shows that Kewanee has class 4 up to class M offenders there

Attached is a link

https://www.illinois.gov/idoc/reportsandstatistics/Documents/IDOC_Quarterly%20Report_October_%202017.pdf

Good Luck on the requested transfer and take care

Offline ERwife

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2018, 01:22:11 PM »

My son is putting in for Kewanee (from Taylorville) as it will be much closer for us but he is also hoping for some training.

Does anyone know if there are restrictions as to crimes?  The reason I ask is that my son has a Class X violent crime.

Thanks for any info.

To my knowledge there is no restrictions as long as they are 2 years short.  However, Im not sure if they have even been interviewing or transferring to Kewanee.  My LO is at Dixon and he as well as several people he know has put in for it and haven't heard ANY response in over 6 months.  Not even a decline.  I dont believe that Kewanee has the staff and programming that its suppose to have yet.  It seems like they are "building this plane, while flying it".  But, good luck anyway!!

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2018, 01:44:54 PM »
@Father - thanks for the link - I copied the appropriate pages.

@ERWife - thanks for the info.

Our son is in school so he is okay with Taylorville. He has 3 years left so if its not right away, thats okay. And if it doesn't happen thats okay too. 

Thanks again to both of you.

Offline robin in ohio

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2018, 04:05:23 AM »
Hi Trauma4us
They are taking class M? I sure hope you're right cuz I'm going push my husband to look into it. :)
I checked the quarterly reports and it shows that Kewanee has class 4 up to class M offenders there

Attached is a link

https://www.illinois.gov/idoc/reportsandstatistics/Documents/IDOC_Quarterly%20Report_October_%202017.pdf

Good Luck on the requested transfer and take care

Offline ERwife

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2018, 07:11:17 PM »

Thanks for any info.

trauma4us
I just got off the phone with my LO and he was notified this morning that he is being transferred to Kewanee in the morning.  this is the most exciting news weve heard in a long time.  Good luck to you and your son!

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2018, 05:49:16 AM »
Fantastic news!!!  So glad we will now have someone with first hand knowledge.

I live near Kewanee and hope that this move will allow you to visit more.

Offline ERwife

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2018, 03:24:42 PM »
Fantastic news!!!  So glad we will now have someone with first hand knowledge.

I live near Kewanee and hope that this move will allow you to visit more.

Thanks Trauma4us,
Its actually bitter sweet....We are excited that he can begin some form of reentry processing via the programs, etc that Kewanee is supposed to have.  Because I was starting to get nervous about how he would go from 20 years in IDOC and just jump back into regular life.  Although, he has lots of support its still scary for both of us.  Unfortunately, Kewanee is much further than Dixon was.  But I still plan to visit at least once a month.  Also, I will post regularly when I have new updates and information. 

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2018, 06:12:27 PM »
Thanks so much. I hope Kewanee offers some solid support for your husband.

Offline fritzy

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2018, 01:19:01 PM »
To ERwife I tried to email you back but it kept rejecting that the 8 in the year was wrong so I don't know how to message you back

my LO is still at Kewanee I'm not sure the ins and outs of the good time but they are being given it my LO was to come home in August and was the first one at Kewanee to recieve the whole 6 months good time and I guess they also have programs to get time off your sentance as well that just started they are wonderful at Kewanee about talking to inmates and answering questions they are also good at talking to you when you call unlike some other facilities I have loved him being there visiting is also amazing compared to other places, if you have any other questions let me know.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2018, 04:19:56 PM »
Thanks Fritzy for the info.

Can you tell us more about the specific programs available at Kewanee?  I know that Black Hawk College East Campus was supposed to be involved in the programming (I heard this at one time).

Is that the case? Thanks for any info about programming.

Offline ERwife

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2018, 06:58:01 PM »
To ERwife I tried to email you back but it kept rejecting that the 8 in the year was wrong so I don't know how to message you back

my LO is still at Kewanee I'm not sure the ins and outs of the good time but they are being given it my LO was to come home in August and was the first one at Kewanee to recieve the whole 6 months good time and I guess they also have programs to get time off your sentance as well that just started they are wonderful at Kewanee about talking to inmates and answering questions they are also good at talking to you when you call unlike some other facilities I have loved him being there visiting is also amazing compared to other places, if you have any other questions let me know.

Thanks Fristzy!!! My LO has been there a little over a week now and so far he loves it.  He did say that the staff are very nice and seem to really support them.  He was so excited when they told them about the good time but I honestly dont think it applies to him because he has a Class M and Class X and I dont think Class M qualifies.  But I didnt want to sound like "Debbie Downer".......Maybe I will call and talk to someone there to get clarity. 

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2018, 07:22:38 PM »
ERWife - glad your LO likes Kewanee.

Is he in programming yet?

BlackHawk Community College East is located there and my understanding was that IDOC had partnered with them for some education. They have a lot of ag programs.

Offline ERwife

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2018, 07:40:34 PM »
ERWife - glad your LO likes Kewanee.

Is he in programming yet?

BlackHawk Community College East is located there and my understanding was that IDOC had partnered with them for some education. They have a lot of ag programs.

He is still in orientation right now.  As soon as he got there he sat with the Counselor and developed a program schedule for 4 months of classes that I think everyone has to take.  He will be taking Keyboarding, Communications, Computer, financial literacy and an interpersonal skills class.  He has been in for 20 years so all of these classes are needed. 

Prior to him going to Kewanee we were both very nervous about how he would transition into society after such a long time.  I really think he was a little afraid.  But, now we both feel hopeful.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2018, 08:07:10 PM »
So glad some of your concerns have been relieved. I'm sure he (and you) are worried about all the changes that have occurred in the world since he went in. 

Our son will have been in over 7 years when he gets out. However, he was a truck driver before he got arrested and now with a violent class x felony that career is out at least for now.
He really enjoys the outdoors and was hoping to get into something like that.

I know CNC machine operator training plus computers would be very helpful.

Offline ERwife

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2018, 08:13:25 PM »
So glad some of your concerns have been relieved. I'm sure he (and you) are worried about all the changes that have occurred in the world since he went in. 

Our son will have been in over 7 years when he gets out. However, he was a truck driver before he got arrested and now with a violent class x felony that career is out at least for now.
He really enjoys the outdoors and was hoping to get into something like that.

I know CNC machine operator training plus computers would be very helpful.

All I know is that my prayer life has been in overdrive.....still plenty of questions but Im trying to let him enjoy it for now.  I dont want to overwhelm him.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2018, 08:24:18 AM »
My son has 3 years left and he is already starting to stress about re-entry. I'm sure for your husband its more intense.

I wish re-entry assistance was available for everyone. We live in a rural area where there are no services for prisoners re-entering society. I know in Chicago and some of the other bigger cities there are programs and assistance.