• December 12, 2018, 11:39:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Kewanee Opening  (Read 12417 times)

Offline Father

• Support Staff
Re: Kewanee Opening
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 08:41:54 PM »
Our son applied a couple of weeks ago but still waiting to hear.

Offline fritzy

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »
My LO has been accepted but is currently still waiting on transfer I will let you know what I find out after he has transferred from what he has been told they are transferring a small number of inmates each week.

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 08:29:15 PM »
My LO has been accepted but is currently still waiting on transfer I will let you know what I find out after he has transferred from what he has been told they are transferring a small number of inmates each week.

So happy this is happening! Can't wait to hear feedback from loved ones!

Offline ERwife

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 10:18:49 PM »
Any updates about your LOs at Kewanee or from those that have applied???? My husband has been waiting a month and getting anxious.  I dont know if "no news is good news" when it comes to this.

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 01:02:18 AM »
Son still hasn't heard anything.  But he has less than 6 months in the system with a little over 3 years left. 

We are still hopeful

Offline willied

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 04:04:11 PM »
My L/O heard that he was in the 2nd set of review.     

willied

Offline fritzy

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 04:41:08 PM »
My LO is there but they are still working on programs

Offline ERwife

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 08:28:02 AM »
Updates? My L/O applied about 5 months ago but hasnt heard anything. No interview, denial, communication.....Has anyone had any luck in the last few months?

Offline msoptimistic

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 12:23:01 PM »
My LO has not heard anything either, he applied about 5 months ago as well. He did tell me that they are still taking inmates in thought. One of his buddies just got approved 2 weeks ago.

Offline fritzy

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 11:50:54 AM »
My LO is at Kewanee he heard once the state passed a budget they want to pack the place so maybe soon?

Offline ERwife

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2017, 10:49:41 AM »
My LO called the other day and said that his counselor informed him that they have started back interviews for Kewanee. He said that they will be at Dixon on Friday. I'm not sure if he means this Friday or next Friday but this news is exciting. We only have less than 36 months left and he really wants to get transferred there. So hopefully, he gets an interview and everything goes well.

Offline fritzy

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2017, 07:26:25 AM »
My LO said they received like 12 new inmates recently so they are bringing people in now

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2017, 04:57:23 AM »
Just want to bump this - so how are the programs at Kewanee?  Are goals of the program being met?

I live in the general area and really haven't heard much from the locals....

Anyone?

Offline fritzy

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 06:04:19 PM »
They had a program called day for dads you should look it up on the news it was great for them, they are ready to offer college courses but need to get more people in because there weren't enough for the classes this time around.

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2017, 07:19:20 AM »
Our Son still has not heard anything about Kewanee. 

Sickness going Taylorville right now our son has the stomach flu for about a week.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2017, 07:24:59 AM »
@Fritzy - yes I saw that in the news. I live in the general area. Looked like a great program. 

@Father - we are going tomorrow to see our son - he was fine last weekend.  He is a germophobe who washes his hands, his area around his bunk, etc frequently.  I hope he escapes the stomach flu.

Thanks to both of you.

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2017, 07:06:51 AM »
Thanks Trauma

I am planning to visit tomorrow.  He has been there almost a year,  time does fly by fast but i still reflect back on the whole process and it gets really frustrating and at times makes me angry about how he was treated thru the ordeal.  Our society really has lost its compassion for young people who make mistakes.  Now I have a completely different perspective when I hear and read crime stories.

Take Care and I hope the best for you and your family and especially your son upon his release. 

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2017, 06:16:16 PM »
@Father - we visited yesterday and our son had had the flu bug the day before and still wasn't feeling well.

And oh yes indeed I totally get the feelings you are expressing. Our justice system is incredibly broken.  If my son had committed his crime in a bigger city, he might have gotten 2-3 years. As it is, he has a Class X violent felony and 8.5 years at 85%. We are over halfway done with IDOC. And...I do have to say that the CO's at T'ville are very good.  I recently had major surgery for cancer and when they patted me down they were exceedingly careful.

Also - the dress code is changed. Since you are a guy, probably won't matter for you, but for us ladies it was a big change. 

Best wishes and positive thoughts for you and your son also

Offline jts

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »
What is the dress code change?

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 08:01:34 PM »
Here you go:

Hoodies are now in.

Jeggings/leggings are okay but your top has to cover your butt.

No tears or rips in your pants.

I am not sure about zippers but you used to not be able to have full length zippers but I think they are allowing that.

NO JEWELRY except earrings and wedding ring. No other rings, necklaces, bracelets, watches. And, you can NOT leave any jewelry in the locker now.

Hope this helps.