• February 23, 2019, 09:57:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: View the House Proposal - Changes to Truth-In-Sentencing Good-Time Sentencing Cr  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Gwheft

Any information on this?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.icjia.state.il.us/spac/pdf/TIS_Fiscal_Impact_030916.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiG-qWKq5TPAhWMMSYKHePDBoEQFggdMAE&usg=AFQjCNH_A8i7UmenBJHs2hY9rUt3sPvxGg&sig2=TKuH-B-oe41l-0RGWV-XVg

Kathryn Saltmarsh
Executive Director
217-558-4749
Kathy.Saltmarsh@Illinois.gov
March 2016 Truth-in-Sentencing Changes Page 1 of 7
House Proposal – Rep. Currie
HOUSE PROPOSAL
REP. BARBARA FLYNN CURRIE
CHANGES TO TRUTH-IN-SENTENCING GOOD-TIME SENTENCING CREDIT RESTRICTIONS
730 ILCS 5 SECTIONS 3-6-3 AND 3-7-6
TOTAL PRESENT VALUE OF BENEFITS IN REDUCED FISCAL COSTS: between $439 million and $686 million
TOTAL PRESENT VALUE OF VICTIMIZATION COSTS FOR PROPOSED CHANGES: $28 million
NET BENEFITS RANGE (BENEFITS MINUS COSTS): between $411 million and $657 million
NOTE: DUE TO THE LENGTH OF STAY IN PRISON FOR THESE OFFENSES, NET BENEFITS WILL BE NOT
BE FULLY REALIZED UNTIL THE CURRENT LONG-TERM POPULATION BEGINS EXITING IDOC,
PHASING IN OVER THE NEXT 10 YEARS AND GROWING OVER THE NEXT 40 YEARS.
This proposal amends the Unified Code of Corrections to reduce truth-in-sentencing (TIS) restrictions as
follows:
(1) Permits offenders convicted of murder 7.5 days of sentence credits per month, resulting in a
length of stay of 75% rather than 100% of the sentence imposed;
(2) Allows up to 8.5 days of credit for the majority of offenses currently limited to 4.5 days of good-
time credit each month;
(3) Increases the number of allowed credits for gunrunning, drug-induced homicide, and meth-related
child endangerment from 7.5 days per month to 10.5 days per month; and
(4) Removes the restriction on earning good-time sentence credits for drug offenses.
These changes are applied to all new admissions to prison and allow the Illinois Department of
Corrections (IDOC) to award sentence credits to the current prison population if they demonstrate good
behavior after the proposal becomes effective. This proposal creates benefits over many years so SPAC
applied both a 2% and a 5% discount rate to future savings to find the net present value of cash flows in
future years.1
 This methodology produced the high and low estimates in Table 1.
 Table 1. Total Change in Costs
Impact on State Costs and Public Safety
Reduced Bed-Years for IDOC 23,655
Benefits:
IDOC Costs Avoided
High Estimate $685,728,000
Low Estimate $439,431,000
Additional Victimization Costs $28,249,000
Net Benefits (Benefits
minus Costs)
High Estimate $657,479,000
Low Estimate $411,182,000

Offline Gwheft

I emailed Kathryn Salt marsh asking if this would be a bill. This is what I got in return.

Rep. Currie did not file a bill this year, she chose to make her proposal public to get some feedback.  That is why the analysis is on our website.  Her proposal was not connected to House Bill 4123.

At this point, I don’t expect Rep. Currie to do anything on truth in sentencing.  The Governor’s Commission on Criminal Justice & Sentencing Reform will have a report at the end of the year which may address the issue of expanding eligibility for sentence credits and/or changing the truth in sentencing percentages, however there is nothing specific at this point.  You can keep up with Commission meetings and materials at:

http://www.icjia.state.il.us/cjreform2015/

Offline willied

WHY is everyone seemingly hung up waiting for Gov Rauner's reform commission to get around to making recommendations in Part 2  of their work (which was due early spring 2016)?  I hope they are not holding their breath (Refer to the Crime Reduction of 2009 and its history).  Part 1 had nothing substantive that can be implemented in any reasonable time frame.

Rep. Elaine Nekritz introduced a single, concise, straight forward solution to both Illinois chronic prison overcrowding and the exploding cost of incarceration.- H.B. 4123.  The "Illinois Sentencing Policy Advisory Council" (Kathryn Saltmarsh, Exec Director, Kathy.Saltmarsh@Illinois.gov) analyzed that bill and issued their report on projected savings in April 2015. Have you read that report?  The net dollar savings are STAGGERING!  By conservative calculation, if the bill had passed, Illinois could be saving $1,000,000 per month - NOW - with more to come.      willied

Why did JHA not lobby for that bill when it was introduced?

Why did JHA not lobby to prevent tabling that bill?

Why is JHA not lobbying for it re-introduction?

willied

Offline trauma4us

Have you contacted JHA? 

TIS is very important to me also as my son is serving an 85% class x sentence.  He has been on wait list for school, class or anything for almost 3 yrs. we are now to the point of paying for it ourselves.

Offline willied

Yes I have contacted JHA, and they sent me a reply this morning.  Not much in it, more of the same 'We at JHA continuously monitor,blah,blah,blah.

willied

Offline Midwesterngal

• One day closer....
What does JHA stand for?

Offline trauma4us

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk

These things move slowly as does everything when big changes have to be made, just like MGT/SSC did, that took what 3 years.  It's not going to happen overnight something we all have to understand, but hopefully somewhere down the road, changes will be made to help.

Just remember the government is really broke right now too, no one is getting along to do anything *much* ... :)

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Kscargomez2018

• Dres Girl Alwyas
  • countdown begins
This forum was helpful. My husband said the teachers told him that talks were in works about reducing 85%, and had me looking everywhere for the info. I went everywhere and found nothing. So thanks for the info. Hopefully change will come soon. My husbands been gone 15 yrs and has 22 monthes to go, that 85% change would put him out the door. If I see anything Ill be sure to post it

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
This forum was helpful. My husband said the teachers told him that talks were in works about reducing 85%, and had me looking everywhere for the info. I went everywhere and found nothing. So thanks for the info. Hopefully change will come soon. My husbands been gone 15 yrs and has 22 monthes to go, that 85% change would put him out the door. If I see anything Ill be sure to post it

There are no plans to change the 85% convictions now, so please don't get your hopes up for that.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”