• November 13, 2018, 10:28:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Typical parole periods after boot camp?  (Read 1794 times)

Offline calypso

Typical parole periods after boot camp?
« on: September 07, 2016, 04:57:18 PM »
My stepson is still at Graham. He's been there for a little more than a month now. No idea when he will actually get to a boot camp.

I have been trying to get a better idea of parole and it is still very confusing. Here is what I understand:

Sounds like everyone who graduates from boot camp will be on parole after.

They have to stay within the state UNLESS they have applied to parole out of state before their parole starts.  No travel out of state.

They may or may not get house arrest.

By definition when they do bootcamp they are convicted felons, correct?

My stepson's sentence if he were not going to do bootcamp is 5 years. So..... what is the typical parole period? 1 year? Two? I know it depends on the Board but just ballpark?

Would he be able to be done with parole earlier? Who decides and under what circumstances?

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
Re: Typical parole periods after boot camp?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 06:34:51 PM »
Not sure about the time of parole but it would be his parole officer that would put in for your loved ones parole time to be shortened.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 09:17:15 AM »
Sounds like everyone who graduates from boot camp will be on parole after.  YES and has to abide by all the parole rules like anyone else.

They have to stay within the state UNLESS they have applied to parole out of state before their parole starts.  No travel out of state.  YES, they have to stay within the state during their parole time and his PO will give him all the rules.

They may or may not get house arrest. He will be told before he is released if he will have to be on an anklet for a certain period of time while on parole.

By definition when they do bootcamp they are convicted felons, correct? YES, that is what got them into bootcamp, a conviction.

My stepson's sentence if he were not going to do bootcamp is 5 years. So..... what is the typical parole period? 1 year? Two? I know it depends on the Board but just ballpark? Depends on the conviction and how HE does while on parole too.  If he is brought back on violations, there is a chance he would have to do his whole time.

Would he be able to be done with parole earlier? Who decides and under what circumstances?  It all depends on him and how he behaves.  Sometimes guys are cut loose on parole in 1/2 their time, sometimes not.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline calypso

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 03:07:34 PM »
Thank you. He has two things on his record a Felony 2 and a Felony 4 (one for burglary and the other for criminal damage to property, I believe)... all this is so new to us.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 11:14:19 AM »
Thank you. He has two things on his record a Felony 2 and a Felony 4 (one for burglary and the other for criminal damage to property, I believe)... all this is so new to us.

Was he recommened by the judge for boot camp?  IDOC always has the final say so on who goes.

Have you called Springfield and ask if he is indeed going? 
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline calypso

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 03:21:49 PM »
The judge recommended him for bootcamp, he is at Hillsboro R&C -- no clue if he is actually going or not yet. He thinks he is.... but we have not heard about any evaluation or anything.