• November 13, 2018, 10:29:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Can I get bootcamp?  (Read 4315 times)

Offline bossman2016

Can I get bootcamp?
« on: August 14, 2016, 01:55:51 PM »
Was wondering if anyone knew if my brother could get bootcamp? Here's his story.. This will be the 2nk time he's been sentenced to idoc.. He's going to take 5yrs for class 1 participation In meth manifesting.. His 1st time he went he got 3yrs idoc for class2 & class 3 meth charges ran concurrent.. He paroled from work release.. 6 months later he violated his parole for not having a parole site.. didn't catch any new charges on parole.. he's 30yrs old with no violate crimes in his background.. only felonies he has on his record are the ones i just told you about.. Do you think he he can get bootcamp this time or not?

Offline bossman2016

Parole violators/bootcamp
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 09:58:36 PM »
If you meet the criteria for bootcamp.. The court recommends you.. It's only your second time being sentenced to d.o.c.. but the first time you violated your parole.. will D.o.c stop you from going to bootcamp? Basically will a parole violation keep you from going to bootcamp?

Offline Kdm

Re: Can I get bootcamp?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 03:08:54 PM »
A major stipulation is that it is a program for first time offenders.  If he already has a felony, he will be ineligible.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Parole violators/bootcamp
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 04:04:06 PM »
If you meet the criteria for bootcamp.. The court recommends you.. It's only your second time being sentenced to d.o.c.. but the first time you violated your parole.. will D.o.c stop you from going to bootcamp? Basically will a parole violation keep you from going to bootcamp?

The sentencing judge has to recommend you and IDOC always has the final say so.

What is the situation with boot camps in Illinois?

The Illinois Department of Corrections operates two adult boot camps and one juvenile camp. The adult camps are located at the DuQuoin State Fairground in Perry County, and at Dixon Springs, at the edge of the Shawnee National Forest in deep southern Illinois. The juvenile camp is located in Murphysboro. Adult inmates must volunteer before the judge and the placement recommendation by the judge is reviewed when the inmate is received at Corrections. Corrections administrators determine who goes to the juvenile camp. Adults may not have been convicted of a serious crime, must be between the ages of 18-35 and not have been sentenced to Corrections more than twice. They cannot have a sentence of more than 8 years. Corrections retains the right to determine who goes to boot camp based on the nature of the crime and whether the inmate can take the regimentation both physically and mentally. The camp is 120-days in length. Inmates may not have visitors for 30 days, and then only immediate family. They are also restricted from phone calls for a period of time. Inmates may possess only what Corrections gives them.

If the court finds that an offender sentenced to a term of imprisonment for a felony may meet the eligibility requirements of the Department, the court may recommend in its sentencing order that the Department consider the offender for placement in its Impact Incarceration Program. Offenders who are referred and meet the legislative guidelines are considered at one of the Reception and Classification Centers (R&C) upon admission to the Department.
The Department evaluates each inmate against the following criteria:

1.   Must be not less than 17 years of age nor more than 35 years of age.

2.   Has never served more than one sentence of imprisonment for a felony in an adult correctional facility.

3.   Has not been convicted of a Class X felony, first or second degree murder, armed violence, aggravated kidnapping, criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual abuse, or a subsequent conviction for criminal sexual abuse, forcible detention, or arson.

4.   Has been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of eight years or less.

5.   Must be physically able to participate in strenuous physical activities or labor.

6.   Must not have any mental disorder or disability that would prevent participation in the Impact Incarceration Program.

7. Impact Incarceration Program 2003 Annual Report to the Governor and the General Assembly
Has consented in writing to participation in the IIP.

8. The Department may also consider, among other matters, whether the committed person has a history of escape or absconding, whether he has any outstanding detainers or warrants, or whether participation in the Impact Incarceration Program may pose a risk to the safety or security of any person.

Screening Process
R&C staff identify inmates for participation based on the sentencing order. Staff ensure that the inmate is eligible by law. They then conduct the routine R&C procedures. An intensive medical screening is included in these procedures. The Health Care Services Unit has developed special medical care and mental health screening policies to determine the inmate's fitness for the IIP. The medical decision is based on detailed medical and dental exams to ensure that inmates are physically able to participate in the rigorous structure of the program.

Preparation for separate transportation is then arranged for inmates recommended for the IIP. These inmates are housed in a separate unit at the holding facility, where staff interview each inmate to discuss the Impact Incarceration Program in detail. A video is also available for the inmate's review. Inmates are asked to sign a form stating they are volunteering for the program. They are held at this facility until transfer to the boot camp can be made.

When the inmate is received at the boot camp facility, a form letter is sent notifying the sentencing judge that the inmate has been received at the boot camp. This will occur on the day that the inmate begins his or her 120-day program.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 04:07:29 PM »
PLEASE go back and search for your prior posts and answers before posting more,  Keep all future posts in the topic.

Thank you!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline bossman2016

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 08:52:17 PM »
But that didn't really answer the question.. does a parole violation in someone's background stop them from being accepted by D.o. c for bootcamp? Some people tell me
it will and some tell me it won't.. Ive searched all the articles and haven't found an anwser.. just need a yes or no?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 08:01:52 AM »
But that didn't really answer the question.. does a parole violation in someone's background stop them from being accepted by D.o. c for bootcamp? Some people tell me
it will and some tell me it won't.. Ive searched all the articles and haven't found an anwser.. just need a yes or no?

Was he in on a felony before? Is he back in IDOC?

If he is in, or going in on a parole violation and going to be recharged with something new, I doubt very much they would let him go through bootcamp.

It all depends also on how much time he would get on a new charge, if it's more than the time left on his parole, big time eats little time.

I don't think anyone at this time can honestly give you a YES or NO.  good luck to him.

Offline bossman2016

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 10:00:32 AM »
No, he not going back on a parole violation.. he violated parole his first time sentenced to d.o.c.. he  got 3yrs for class 2 & 3 drug felonies.. he didn't catch a new charged they just violated him for not keeping parole officer up to date when he changed addresses on parole.. that was in 2009..  This would be his 2nk time sentenced to d.o.c .. hes going to get 5 or 6yrs for class 1 drug felony.. I was just trying to find out since he violated his parole on his last time in will d.o.c let him into bootcamp? Courts going to recommend him to bootcamp but I know d.o.c has to ok it...  thanks for your help I know I'm kinda being confusing

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »
This may be redundant, but here is the link for the requirements to be eligible for bootcamp:

http://ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/020/020004600000200R.html
He's home!

Offline bossman2016

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 10:02:03 PM »
So, it looks like d.o.c will approve him to go.. Because I don't see anything in any of the articles of been reading on this site that says a parole violation on someone's 1st time will stop the from being eligible there 2nk time..

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 05:54:26 AM »
So, it looks like d.o.c will approve him to go.. Because I don't see anything in any of the articles of been reading on this site that says a parole violation on someone's 1st time will stop the from being eligible there 2nk time..

The sentencing judge had to recommend bootcamp and if they do, then IDOC has the final say so if he goes or not.  Without the sentencing judges recommendation IDOC won't just send him, they always have the final say so.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 08:15:57 PM »
As Forevermah has indicated, it is the SENTENCING JUDGE that has to give the recommendation. IDOC is not part of that recommendation. 

Offline bossman2016

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 11:34:49 PM »
I know.. Im sorry.. I guess I'm not asking the question right.. if judge recommend's him and he meets all other criteria.. but he has a parole violation In his background from the 1st doc sentence.. Can he still go? I know all the other stipulations for going.. Just don't know if someone with parole violation in background can go? Thanks and sorry for confusion

Offline bossman2016

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 11:41:59 PM »
I seen it said in one of the articles that they might take in to factor if someone has a history of abscondce. (sorry about spelling)Does that mean someone who has a parole violation in background can't get bootcamp?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 08:26:51 AM »
I know.. Im sorry.. I guess I'm not asking the question right.. if judge recommend's him and he meets all other criteria.. but he has a parole violation In his background from the 1st doc sentence.. Can he still go? I know all the other stipulations for going.. Just don't know if someone with parole violation in background can go? Thanks and sorry for confusion

We have tried to answer that question in more than one topic, there isn't anyone that can answer that for you at this time.  IDOC has to answer that once he is in and IF the convicting judge who will look at his prior record will even recommend him for bootcamp, then IDOC will also look at his record if he is recommended by the courts for bootcamp and they have the final say so.

Offline bossman2016

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 11:14:29 PM »
Ok.. thanks for trying to help