• February 20, 2019, 10:26:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: How to Submit for Good Time/ Qualify for it  (Read 8618 times)

Offline ashnic88

How to Submit for Good Time/ Qualify for it
« on: July 26, 2016, 05:32:04 PM »
My SO, is currently in Big Muddy Correctional Facility, he has been there since April. He entered the drug program when he got there and has successfully completed 60 days of it so far, but was recently told by the IDOC counselor he does not qualify for good time through this program, but they don't know why. How do we find out why he doesn't qualify? Also they said they think  he will for school, how do we find out if he does for school? Also how long does it take to hear back after submitting for the stave given good time, and how likely is it that an inmate will get this time? It is his first time in prison, he has a prior record but never been in prison, jail yes, but not prison. He shouldn't even be there now, he's innocent,and I know everyone says that, and if he would have fought it he would of won, but they scared him into thinking he'd lose no matter what. Anyways, any answers would be appreciated. I just want him home, as do our children.

Offline tkesde1

Re: How to Submit for Good Time/ Qualify for it
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 08:13:48 AM »
Unfortunately, if you've talked to his counselor, that's really all you can do. You cannot call Springfield, you have to hope and wait, Springfield specifically says that family should not call about good time. My husband was not awarded any credit for classes, good time, etc. and another guy with the exact same class of charge was given credit for classes as well as good time. The counselor (at Big Muddy) told me that it was the way the computer was programmed and they had no control over it. I tried to call Springfield, was told it was up to the individual prison, then we had our lawyer try to contact - all to no avail. This was my experience, but hopefully yours will be better.
He's home!

Offline ashnic88

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 11:21:41 AM »
I had a feeling it would be a waiting game, with probably no hope for anything good.Was hoping someone could give me a better response, but thanks for a response at all. He's set to come home next May as it is, which I guess isn't that far away, but when they truly don't belong there and you have an infant growing up without daddy, it seems like forever.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 07:03:49 AM »

It depends on their conviction if they are eligible for time off on their sentences when they take these classes/programs.  Inmates can take some classes/programs but they don't earn any extra time off for them.

The laws determine who gets time and doesn't, not the computer.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Tex999

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 09:46:17 AM »
They tell you there is no rhyme or reason on who gets good time. Some first timers with non violent crime convictions are overlooked while it being given to others who cause trouble and keep returning to prison.My loved one was just told they forgot to put him in for it due to the computer upgrades they made-they put it in now , but said it is up to the Director to approve or not. He could have been home up to 6 months ago.He worked helping guys in Pre-GED classes, never caused problems,has medical problems that they ignored. They will no doubt turn down since he does not have much time left now.The system they use is not very concise.

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 11:51:51 AM »
What it boiled down to for us, his conviction was qualified for good time, but there is a programmer who programs the charges that are eligible into their computer system that is checked by the counselors at the individual prisons before submitting for good time & credit for classes, somehow not all of the charges that are eligible are in there. It is a programming error, I fought the battle until I gave up.
He's home!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 01:14:44 PM »
Rules and Regs of SSC = Supplemental Sentence Credit, this is not for program/classes goodtime

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=29581.0

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=29547.0
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Donandkat

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 02:49:32 PM »
My husband is also in Big muddy. He is working on his sixty day. He started salin county jail then Menard now big muddy. He keeps telling me to call Springfield. I see that does not work what else can I do or tell him to do to find out about his good time. I'm new to all of this thanks for your help.

Offline kasa

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 03:22:16 PM »
somehow my loved one was overlooked...1st time in prison and non violent...hmm seems to happen a lot

Offline ChironBlues

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 12:41:39 PM »
Hi Tex!

Do you recall when they did the upgrades & if it was for all of IDOC?

Also, do you know how my LO or myself can contact the Director? I'm assuming it's a director at his facility.
I'm new to all of this.

They tell you there is no rhyme or reason on who gets good time. Some first timers with non violent crime convictions are overlooked while it being given to others who cause trouble and keep returning to prison.My loved one was just told they forgot to put him in for it due to the computer upgrades they made-they put it in now , but said it is up to the Director to approve or not. He could have been home up to 6 months ago.He worked helping guys in Pre-GED classes, never caused problems,has medical problems that they ignored. They will no doubt turn down since he does not have much time left now.The system they use is not very concise.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 08:20:30 AM »
Calling Springfield won't do anyone any good.  If your LO's are eligible, they will receive paperwork on how much when the time is right.  If they have a few years to serve, they won't be notified until they are closer to their out date telling them if they received 1-6 months, but not everyone is eligible.

IDOC states right on their website, that they cannot talk to family about this and it all depends on the inmate, his history and conviction.  They have to follow the new law that was passed for SSC after the old MGT was stopped.

Offline ChironBlues

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 06:00:18 PM »
Calling Springfield won't do anyone any good.  If your LO's are eligible, they will receive paperwork on how much when the time is right.  If they have a few years to serve, they won't be notified until they are closer to their out date telling them if they received 1-6 months, but not everyone is eligible.

IDOC states right on their website, that they cannot talk to family about this and it all depends on the inmate, his history and conviction.  They have to follow the new law that was passed for SSC after the old MGT was stopped.

Hi Mah! If this was for me, I'm aware of it. Regarding Tex's comment that the director makes the decision on good time, is the director that Tex is referring to in Springfield? That's what I don't know.  Also regarding the computer programming updates that caused some inmates who should be eligible to appear ineligible - when was that done? Is it fixed system wide (at all facilities)?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 11:59:06 AM »

Hi Mah! If this was for me, I'm aware of it. Regarding Tex's comment that the director makes the decision on good time, is the director that Tex is referring to in Springfield? That's what I don't know.  Also regarding the computer programming updates that caused some inmates who should be eligible to appear ineligible - when was that done? Is it fixed system wide (at all facilities)?

The director that puts your inmate in for GT, IF they qualify is the Warden of the prison the inmate is at. They start the process, giving their names to Springfield and Springfield then decides if and how much SSC they will get.

I have no idea about the computer updates if it's all fixed, sorry.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 12:02:52 PM »
IPT doesn't make policy, we just go by the LAWS and legislation that is set by the state law makers in regards to SSC, the new SSC that replaces the old MGT/ Moritorious GoodTime that was in place before SSC.

We post what is out there, giving everyone here the same information that we have.  IDOC states with SSC, that they also DO NOT give out information on who is eligible according to the LAWS to receive SSC.  It is something that each inmate has to wait to see if they qualify, it all starts with the Warden of each prison notifying Springfield on who may be eligible and Springfield takes it from there.

If anyone here isn't happy with the information this website gives out, I suggest you move on instead of wasting your time writing lengthly posts blaming people here for not giving you the information you want, instead of the RULES/LAWS that are in place!!  Your unhappiness with the LAWS won't change who receives it or not.  Again we don't write the LAWS, we just go by what they say!!

Offline justkerrie

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 09:13:19 AM »
is there any news on the truth in sentence reform?  MY LO keeps telling me he's hearing it on the inside and i can't find diddly squat about it!  HELP