• November 14, 2018, 04:15:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Bootcamp question  (Read 5762 times)

Offline calypso

Bootcamp question
« on: July 25, 2016, 02:55:33 PM »
Sorry, I posted this in the Q&A board as well, just realized there was a separate forum for bootcamps.

My stepson has been in trouble off and on for a few years. So far he has had probation and court supervision, but this latest landed him in county jail for close on three months now. The judge has recommended bootcamp for him (and told him if he flunks out, he will get 5 years). He is supposed to be transferred to R&C at Hillsboro this week and thinks he will be there for anywhere from 2 weeks to more than a month before he is sent to the bootcamp. Not sure where that is.

He thinks once he is done (i.e. after the four months of bootcamp), he will be on probation but can leave the state. This doesn't sound right. I know he could potentially leave the state to travel for a specified amount of time with his PO's permission, but if he wants to leave Illinois for good, wouldn't it need to be an official state transfer? He won't just be free to roam the country, right? He wants to go live in Florida where his mom also plans to move, but I'm thinking he will probably need to stay in Illinois for a while (unless his mom wants to put in for the transfer, etc.)

I have also read that after bootcamp, inmates typically have a period of house arrest/supervision, but not clear if this is the case for everyone or not. What typically happens after bootcamp?

Any input would be welcome. 

Offline Kdm

Re: Bootcamp question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 05:48:42 PM »
He'll be on parole, not on probation.  He'll be required to stay within state lines unless with explicit permission by request of an interstate compact.  While it's possible, he should expect to stay within state lines during his parole period.

There's often a period of house arrest, however he won't know until he reaches parole school (the 60-90 day mark of boot camp).

Offline calypso

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 04:11:47 PM »
Thanks for your response. That is what I thought. I guess I had thought of parole and probation as the same thing but apparently not... I wonder if he has told his mother about the interstate compact -- does he initiate that or does she and how long does that take?

He said he had specifically asked his lawyer about leaving the state -- but there's a difference between leaving the state for a brief visit vs. living somewhere else.

Thanks again!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 08:37:44 AM »
Thanks for your response. That is what I thought. I guess I had thought of parole and probation as the same thing but apparently not... I wonder if he has told his mother about the interstate compact -- does he initiate that or does she and how long does that take?

He said he had specifically asked his lawyer about leaving the state -- but there's a difference between leaving the state for a brief visit vs. living somewhere else.

Thanks again!

He has to start the process from inside, here is more information:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=27860.msg217564#msg217564

He won't be able to leave the state while on parole, they are very strict about that, but if he wants to be paroled outof State is when the Interstate Compact comes into effect.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline calypso

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 12:31:27 PM »
Thank you. I wonder why his lawyer told him he could?

Also, I am not sure I understand the difference between leaving the state while on parole and being paroled out of state.

In the first case, sounds like if he wants to leave the state temporarily or permanently while he is on parole he cannot do that.

Int he case of being paroled out of state: If he applies for a transfer to another state and requests that his parole period be started there before he gets out, and that is okayed -- then he can move.
Do I understand correctly? I will check out the link. Thanks again.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 06:59:00 AM »
Thank you. I wonder why his lawyer told him he could?

Also, I am not sure I understand the difference between leaving the state while on parole and being paroled out of state.

In the first case, sounds like if he wants to leave the state temporarily or permanently while he is on parole he cannot do that.

Int he case of being paroled out of state: If he applies for a transfer to another state and requests that his parole period be started there before he gets out, and that is okayed -- then he can move.
Do I understand correctly? I will check out the link. Thanks again.

Do you live out of state? If so, has he lived out of state before he went to IDOC?  If you live out of state and want him to parole to you there, then he has to apply for an INTERSTATE COMPACT in order to do that.

If you live in Illinois and he only wants to visit you out of state while on parole, that isn't going to happen.  They are not allowed out of state while on parole, some are given a mile radius in which they are to stay within the state when on parole and no crossing state lines.

Lawyers don't always know all the rules that IDOC parole sets up.

From IDOC Website:

Who sets the conditions for parole?
The Illinois Prisoner Review Board (PRB), which is a separate entity of the Illinois Department of Corrections, sets the conditions of parole for a parolee.

Below is the contact information for the PRB:

Illinois Prisoner Review Board
319 East Madison Street, Suite A
Springfield, IL 62701

Telephone: (217) 782-7273
Fax: (217) 524-0012

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline calypso

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 11:22:36 AM »
Yes, we live out of state but he has not lived out of state. We do not want him to parole to us but his mom may want him to parole to her IF she moves to Florida. She currently lives in Illinois. I thought the lawyer would know. Thanks again. From what I have read, the Interstate Compact also takes a while.

Thank you!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 01:20:51 PM »
Yes, we live out of state but he has not lived out of state. We do not want him to parole to us but his mom may want him to parole to her IF she moves to Florida. She currently lives in Illinois. I thought the lawyer would know. Thanks again. From what I have read, the Interstate Compact also takes a while.

Thank you!

If your LO paroles before his mother moves out of state, he would have to apply for parole to Florida in the event she moves, through the PRB, if she moves before he is released, he would have to start the Interstate Compact inside.

Is he already in the BC program?

Offline calypso

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 02:44:14 PM »
Well, he is at Graham right now. Just got there (like, today) from county jail and the judge recommended boot camp. So he has not started yet.

Offline calypso

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 02:57:59 PM »
Oh, also let's say he does transfer to Florida. He needs to complete his whole parole there, correct?

And.....out of curiosity, can a parolee just use someone's address without their consent as to where they will stay during parole?

If they get consent, do they need to get consent from all persons living in said residence or all owners... or... how does it work?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 03:46:18 PM »
Oh, also let's say he does transfer to Florida. He needs to complete his whole parole there, correct?

And.....out of curiosity, can a parolee just use someone's address without their consent as to where they will stay during parole?

If they get consent, do they need to get consent from all persons living in said residence or all owners... or... how does it work?

A parolee has to give the address to where he is to parole to before he gets out.. if it isn't his home, paperwork will be forwarded to whomever owns that home to fill out and approve the host parole site.  Sometimes a PO will come beforehand to get that approval, we have a copy of that host site agreement on our parole board here on IPT which you can look at.

If a parole gives an address and found not to be there when checks are made he will be found in violation and brought back to IDOC.  Most of the time a parolee coming out of BC is on an electronic anklet for a few months and there area different things that have to be done for that. 

First he has to see if he is approved for BC and gets through it and then everything else will follow.

Offline calypso

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 12:12:57 PM »
All makes sense. I appreciate all the info. He seems to be at Graham now (found him). Question about the dates....it gives a projected parole date and a projected discharge date. Are these the dates he would be on parole if he didn't do bootcamp? Can he expect to be on parole anyhow until that date if he does do bootcamp?
His dad wants to send him something there too, so I found the mailing address on the site. I still need to look up if there are any special rules about mail.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 10:14:43 PM »
All makes sense. I appreciate all the info. He seems to be at Graham now (found him). Question about the dates....it gives a projected parole date and a projected discharge date. Are these the dates he would be on parole if he didn't do bootcamp? Can he expect to be on parole anyhow until that date if he does do bootcamp?
His dad wants to send him something there too, so I found the mailing address on the site. I still need to look up if there are any special rules about mail.

The dates showing projected are those if he does NOT attend bootcamp.  They will stay the same even if he goes to bootcamp.  Those dates will only be revised once he has successfully completed bootcamp.  He will be on parole regardless of whether he goes to bootcamp.  There are special rules for bootcamp mail, you're likely going to want to wait until you've received those (or look them up on another thread here) as to make sure that mail is not rejected.

Offline calypso

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 12:44:18 PM »
I see. So even if he completes bootcamp successfully that parole date still stands??

Offline calypso

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 04:32:50 PM »
I see. So even if he completes bootcamp successfully that parole date still stands??

Hi just checking in on this again. So even on successful completion of bootcamp, he will still be on parole until 11/2018? (This is the date for parole on the site right now). Or he will be on parole but until a different date that we won't know until he has finished?

Just trying to ascertain how long he can expect to be on parole.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 06:50:41 AM »

Hi just checking in on this again. So even on successful completion of bootcamp, he will still be on parole until 11/2018? (This is the date for parole on the site right now). Or he will be on parole but until a different date that we won't know until he has finished?

Just trying to ascertain how long he can expect to be on parole.

If he is brought back on any violations once he is out of IDOC then his date stands that he was originally convicted on, even parole.

If he completes his parole after bootcamp successfully, it will be a year or two (depending on what the PRB sets) after he gets of bootcamp, providing his parole goes good and he doesn't get into any trouble, he may even be done in 1/2 the time they give him. 

Offline calypso

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 03:07:37 PM »
Thanks for answering. I have been out of town and didn't see this until now. I feel a little stupid asking, but I am still not clear.

You said:
"If he is brought back on any violations once he is out of IDOC then his date stands that he was originally convicted on, even parole."

I get that.

Then you said:
If he completes his parole after bootcamp successfully, it will be a year or two (depending on what the PRB sets) after he gets of bootcamp, providing his parole goes good and he doesn't get into any trouble, he may even be done in 1/2 the time they give him. "

Do you mean that his parole after bootcamp will be a year or two, depending on what the PRB sets?

Offline Mrs wade

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 08:21:32 PM »
Hi my boyfriend is panicking the judge referred him to bootcamp and he is in stateville and he wrote me a letter stating that what ever authority he is talking to said that it doesnt say that he is going to bootcamp is that because he hasnt been approved or denied and he just got there Tuesday morning

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 09:06:22 PM »
Hi my boyfriend is panicking the judge referred him to bootcamp and he is in stateville and he wrote me a letter stating that what ever authority he is talking to said that it doesnt say that he is going to bootcamp is that because he hasnt been approved or denied and he just got there Tuesday morning
     Call his lawyer and ask if the judge put that recommendation in his paper work. Just remember, the judge can recommend it, but IDOC has the final say.

Offline Mrs wade

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 10:10:07 AM »
The lawyer said that the judge put it in his paperwork that she recommended bootcamp he took 7years behind that so if he doesnt go will he have to do half that time

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 07:53:06 AM »
The lawyer said that the judge put it in his paperwork that she recommended bootcamp he took 7years behind that so if he doesnt go will he have to do half that time

IDOC has the final say so if he goes to bootcamp even if the judge commends.  Yes, if he isn't accepted, or starts bootcamp and doesn't finish he would have to do his regular time. If he got 7 years at 50% then he would do 1/2 that time minus any credits he could earn or time spent in county.

Offline Mrs wade

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 04:16:55 PM »
He said he hasnt even got to the dorms for bootcamp does that mean its because they are still looking at his file to approve him or not who can i call to ask this question please im panicking his lawyer said its in his file but he is saying the c.o. says it isnt please i need help i dont know what to do

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2016, 08:42:42 PM »
Has he talked with his counselor?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 07:38:36 AM »
He said he hasnt even got to the dorms for bootcamp does that mean its because they are still looking at his file to approve him or not who can i call to ask this question please im panicking his lawyer said its in his file but he is saying the c.o. says it isnt please i need help i dont know what to do

Call Springfield and ask to talk to the bootcamp coordinator and also his counselor.