• November 14, 2018, 12:23:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Sending money to son via Western Union  (Read 2259 times)

Offline meangene

Sending money to son via Western Union
« on: March 16, 2016, 07:27:50 PM »
I have two sons in DOC.  I sent them money via Western Union today.  I have done this for several years so I know I followed procedures.

One money transfer went through fine.  The second was denied

Do you know why DOC would deny a transfer of money to my son's trust account?
I will try tomorrow again after I call DOC but just curious if anyone else had the same problem sending in money.

Offline tkesde1

Re: Sending money to son via Western Union
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 08:45:26 AM »
As long as the inmate number is correct, I cannot imagine why they wouldn't accept the money. It may have just been a computer glitch.
He's home!

Offline OnOurOwn16

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 09:33:48 AM »
I have two sons in DOC.  I sent them money via Western Union today.  I have done this for several years so I know I followed procedures.

One money transfer went through fine.  The second was denied

Do you know why DOC would deny a transfer of money to my son's trust account?
I will try tomorrow again after I call DOC but just curious if anyone else had the same problem sending in money.

It could also be an issue of amount and transaction timeframe. I have had issues in the past when attempting to do more than one transaction within a 48-72 hour window. I have been told by WU, JPay and even GTL that they will only permit a single transfer of a large sum of money once within a 48-72 hour window. I believe this is to prevent from fraud. In fact, my own bank called me about WU transfers I was doing for my L/O which were "back-to-back". When my L/O was first transferred to his parent facility I attempted to do 2-3 large money transfers to get him settled & not only were the transfers 'denied' but my bank called asking if I was the one doing the transfers or if I believed it to be a fraudulent transaction.

In my opinion, this can be frustrating because they don't make this information clear until AFTER you try to do a transaction then it is denied & you must call and email to get an answer. I would definitely contact WU first and find out their policy on transaction limits, time-frame of multiple transactions, etc. Even though you are sending the transactions to two different people, WU looks at it as the same company/facility since it is listed as IDOC. IDOC is the one that collects the funds then disperses it accordingly. Hopes this makes sense and you get an answer soon!

Offline sdlyons91

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 04:13:31 PM »
I had this same thing happen to me on jpay this week.  They locked my account and I have to send photos of my credit card and drivers license to prove it is not fraud.  I guess its nice they are dilligent, but they could create an easier process...   But, there was an amount I sent through earlier that was not denied and it is still not showing up in his account.  I don't understand...

With Western Union it is asking for the "Inmate's account/register number and last name"  Is this is inmate number and Last Name?  I just want to make sure he gets it this time.

Offline BossPink

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 11:32:54 PM »
with WU (western union) u do it under PAY A BILL/BILL PAY and yes, the account # is their idoc # and last name .. that's the only way i send $ to my bf .. everyone told me not to do jpay bc sometimes the money comes up missing for up to months/can take a month or so to deposit and WU is automatically and they will get a slip the next morning showing it in their account.
It hurts not having u close, but it would hurt even more not having u at all!