• May 27, 2018, 10:27:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Rumor  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Memalogan89

• Always and Forever
Rumor
« on: March 12, 2016, 07:18:03 PM »
I have a question my fiancée heard it is supposed to be new laws for class x offenders to have good time?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Rumor
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 09:40:26 AM »
I have a question my fiancée heard it is supposed to be new laws for class x offenders to have good time?

No new laws have been brought forward ,nor are they any in the general assembly going through the process.. It's all rumors, sorry.

Keep an eye here on IPT, we would have posts if there was anything like this giving you the new legislation #'s to watch.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
One of the measures that the Governor's Commission on Criminal Reform is looking at is the truth in sentencing laws (TIS) which does affect some Class X offenses.  I've been watching this very carefully.  Here is the link to the Commission's home page:

http://www.icjia.org/cjreform2015/about/meetings.html

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 04:25:02 PM »
One of the measures that the Governor's Commission on Criminal Reform is looking at is the truth in sentencing laws (TIS) which does affect some Class X offenses.  I've been watching this very carefully.  Here is the link to the Commission's home page:

http://www.icjia.org/cjreform2015/about/meetings.html

They maybe talking, but no new laws changing the TIS laws have been brought forward at this time.

We hope at some point they do change those laws, but all they have done so far is talk about it and it's too bad, the last two meeting in January and February no minutes to see what if anything they talked about have been posted.

Even if they would change any of the laws, it takes time to write new legislation and for all that to go through as we witnessed when the OLD MGT was cancelled and they had to write new laws for the SSC .. that took almost 4 years :(
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Memalogan89

• Always and Forever
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 04:48:59 PM »
Thank you everyone for your answers. I will give my fiancée the information so he can have a clarification.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 05:18:21 PM »
Yes, I agree Mah.  However, I also think its very important especially for those of us that have loved ones with long sentences (and even more important for the Class X offenders) to keep up to date with what is being discussed - even if it is only tangentially.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 05:32:50 PM »
Yes, I agree Mah.  However, I also think its very important especially for those of us that have loved ones with long sentences (and even more important for the Class X offenders) to keep up to date with what is being discussed - even if it is only tangentially.

I agree, but the rumors inside is that there are new laws already coming down and these guys get their hopes up NOW .. that is not the case.

Everyone has to understand that even IF they would change these laws, there is no guarantee they would even affect those that have already been sentenced either.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 06:23:23 PM »
Ok, look at this pdf file, page 3 #8 ... they talked about expanding eligibility for programming credits, with the exception of those in on TIS sentences.

http://www.icjia.org/cjreform2015//pdf/scan02222016_00001.pdf

I don't want to discourage people from thinking *something* maybe done, but I also don't want to encourage everyone to run back to their LO and tell them YES YES something is going to happen when in fact nothing like that has been talked about yet.

This is why these rumors are horrible, they get the hopes up of guys that may be out before anything is done, if ever it is done.    I am not saying to not have hope, I am just saying, we all have to keep up hope within reason :)