• November 13, 2018, 10:27:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Boot camp  (Read 4177 times)

Offline washwin5

Boot camp
« on: January 23, 2016, 05:20:56 PM »
I hope all is well for whoever may be reading this message. I just have a question regarding impact incarceration(boot camp). My son was sentenced,  and transferred to Graham CC on December 18, 2015, and he is still waiting to be transferred to boot camp. Do anyone know if there is a waiting list, or if it is the normal waiting time of about months or so? Just curious. I am fully aware about IDOC, but this part of it is not only new to me about the impact program, but my son as well. Any information from someone that has had a family member that have experienced this process already would really be helpful, and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Boot camp
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 05:34:08 PM »
Was he approved for bootcamp?  Did you call Springfield and talk to the bootcamp coordinator as to a date when he might be moved to one of the BC facilities?

It takes times for one classs to graduate and new recruits to be brought in, beds to open up and the new group to start. 
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Coby

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 06:16:14 PM »
Hello,
My son is also in Graham reception waiting for boot camp. He was just moved there this Tues (Jan 19th).   I haven't heard anything from him (letter or phone).  I read that they can receive mail but I didn't see where they could send out mail.  Does anyone know if they can?   I sent him money early this week so he could write or call.  Sorry, I don't know anything about this at all.  Thank you in advance for any help.  I appreciate it. 

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 07:37:54 AM »
Hello,
My son is also in Graham reception waiting for boot camp. He was just moved there this Tues (Jan 19th).   I haven't heard anything from him (letter or phone).  I read that they can receive mail but I didn't see where they could send out mail.  Does anyone know if they can?   I sent him money early this week so he could write or call.  Sorry, I don't know anything about this at all.  Thank you in advance for any help.  I appreciate it. 

You may not hear much from him, they don't give them write outs and I am not sure if they allow them to get anything from commissary while in Graham, waiting for a spot to open up at BC.

He may be able to call, but don't count on it.  Once he gets to BC he has to go through the first phase and then he may be able to write, but continue to write to him and giving him support and all positive thoughts.

I hope you hear from him soon, I know how hard this part is and he needs the support to get through the BC program too.  Be sure you read the posts on the BC board so you know what to expect, some are older, but nothing has changed as far as the program and what they go through.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline washwin5

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 11:53:30 AM »
Was he approved for bootcamp?  Did you call Springfield and talk to the bootcamp coordinator as to a date when he might be moved to one of the BC facilities?

It takes times for one classs to graduate and new recruits to be brought in, beds to open up and the new group to start. 
Hi, I haven't called Springfield, because I didn't know that I could to find out about approval, but I most graciously thank you for that information, and I will be directly on it tomorrow morning. I seen in another post that you had made that I needed to ask for Bob. Thank you for everything. This site is a blessing....

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 12:04:56 PM »

Hi, I haven't called Springfield, because I didn't know that I could to find out about approval, but I most graciously thank you for that information, and I will be directly on it tomorrow morning. I seen in another post that you had made that I needed to ask for Bob. Thank you for everything. This site is a blessing....

Yes, they call him BootCamp Bob ..  just call that # I gave you and ask for the BootCamp Coordinator, Bob and if he has information he can share he will. 

Offline washwin5

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 01:09:22 PM »

Yes, they call him BootCamp Bob ..  just call that # I gave you and ask for the BootCamp Coordinator, Bob and if he has information he can share he will. 
Thank you so much....

Offline Oh2bucs

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 04:26:44 PM »
Hello,

You may not hear much from him, they don't give them write outs and I am not sure if they allow them to get anything from commissary while in Graham, waiting for a spot to open up at BC.

He may be able to call, but don't count on it.  Once he gets to BC he has to go through the first phase and then he may be able to write, but continue to write to him and giving him support and all positive thoughts.

I hope you hear from him soon, I know how hard this part is and he needs the support to get through the BC program too.  Be sure you read the posts on the BC board so you know what to expect, some are older, but nothing has changed as far as the program and what they go through.

I just got back from Du Quoin IIP on the first of the year.. Once he gets to BC he will be given one envelope to write a letter that day.. It'll just be a short sweet hey I made it to BC kind of letter.. After 14 days he can start getting 2 envelopes a week! After 30 he can start to call on Saturday's (at least it's Saturdays in Du Quoin).. My best advice to you is to have your phone set up with securus already!! It really sucks having to wait 30 days to call someone and them not have funds on the phone.. He will only get 10 minutes and that translates into about 8 minutes talk time after figuring connection time.. The program is nothing like you think it is I'm sure.. It was nothing like I thought it would be.. It's not your TV boot camp kinda thing.. If you go and have a decent head on you and don't act stupid you'll be perfectly fine.. Really all you have to do is listen and pay attention.. If you make it thru the first 14 days you'll make it thru easily..  First days the worst by far!!

Offline Coby

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 07:08:40 PM »
My son has been in Graham since the 19th of last month.  He told me that he had been approved for bootcamp when he wrote to me the last time.  I checked the inmate locator last night and his picture is different.  When he first got there he had on navy blue and now he has on bright yellow.  His head and beard are shaved also.  He is still listed as R&C at Graham.  I signed up for VINE but haven't heard anything about movement.  I'm not really sure I signed up correctly.  I signed up to be notified via email.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Nervous Mom here! 

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 08:16:25 PM »
My son has been in Graham since the 19th of last month.  He told me that he had been approved for bootcamp when he wrote to me the last time.  I checked the inmate locator last night and his picture is different.  When he first got there he had on navy blue and now he has on bright yellow.  His head and beard are shaved also.  He is still listed as R&C at Graham.  I signed up for VINE but haven't heard anything about movement.  I'm not really sure I signed up correctly.  I signed up to be notified via email.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Nervous Mom here! 

Check his page tonight or in the morning, yellow means transportation, a haircut/shave is a sign that he has been or moving to BC or one of the prisons the camp is at and then into the BC.  He will be a ghost for the first couple months, write him and give him support, making sure you don't write anything but good in those letters as they read them and if there is anything questionable, they'll wake him up in the middle of the night .... make sure you read and know all the rules now.

Offline Coby

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 05:11:51 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply.  Last night his info said Vienna and now it also has Dixon Springs Boot.  He is still in yellow.  Do you think that means he will start soon or he already has? 

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 05:50:03 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply.  Last night his info said Vienna and now it also has Dixon Springs Boot.  He is still in yellow.  Do you think that means he will start soon or he already has? 

If it says Dixon Springs he is in BC, his time starts now and his photo should change again, they usually update the website after 10PM daily, keep an eye on it.

Give him lots of support now, he needs it to get through the program.