• September 23, 2018, 01:41:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Projected Parole Date? Graham reception.  (Read 6022 times)

Offline Permc

Projected Parole Date? Graham reception.
« on: November 27, 2015, 09:27:04 AM »
I'll first start off by saying this is all new to me. On November 18th my husband was sentenced to 18 months at 50%. Which only puts him serving 9, which would put him getting out in August of 2016. He was in county and taken to Graham reception on November 24th. On the 25th they had all of his information updated. His projected parole date said June 30 2016, which would put him getting out in about 7 months instead of 9. Naturally, I was ecstatic because we have a baby coming in January and well, 7 months is better than 9. However, when I checked again on Thanksgiving day (November 26), they changed his parole date to August 18. That was the initial parole date from the beginning. Can anybody tell me WHY they would put June instead of August online the first time?? I assumed he got his mandatory good time added and then somehow got it taken away, but then again I doubt they would update it that quickly, especially on a holiday. I don't understand. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline tkesde1

Re: Projected Parole Date? Graham reception.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 11:10:20 AM »
Deep breath. IDOC makes mistakes. A lot. Looks like they calculated it wrong, I'm so sorry for that.

He has to be in for at least 60 days before he can be considered for any time off of his sentence. So don't give up hope for it, just don't plan on it.

Hang in there, this is a tough road to be on & your baby needs you to stay calm & healthy.
He's home!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 11:39:15 AM »
I'll first start off by saying this is all new to me. On November 18th my husband was sentenced to 18 months at 50%. Which only puts him serving 9, which would put him getting out in August of 2016. He was in county and taken to Graham reception on November 24th. On the 25th they had all of his information updated. His projected parole date said June 30 2016, which would put him getting out in about 7 months instead of 9. Naturally, I was ecstatic because we have a baby coming in January and well, 7 months is better than 9. However, when I checked again on Thanksgiving day (November 26), they changed his parole date to August 18. That was the initial parole date from the beginning. Can anybody tell me WHY they would put June instead of August online the first time?? I assumed he got his mandatory good time added and then somehow got it taken away, but then again I doubt they would update it that quickly, especially on a holiday. I don't understand. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Was he in county for any length of time waiting to be transferred to IDOC or before being sentenced?
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Permc

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 01:45:05 PM »
Deep breath. IDOC makes mistakes. A lot. Looks like they calculated it wrong, I'm so sorry for that.

He has to be in for at least 60 days before he can be considered for any time off of his sentence. So don't give up hope for it, just don't plan on it.

Hang in there, this is a tough road to be on & your baby needs you to stay calm & healthy.
Thank you! I figured maybe they made a mistake, but I just needed some type of reassurance. I've been reading some posts on here for a few days trying to find answers. I read somewhere that I can contact his counselor. Is that true? Also, someone told me that if I send him money to his commissary that he will never see it in reception. I sent some anyway, just in case.

Offline Permc

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 01:46:43 PM »

Was he in county for any length of time waiting to be transferred to IDOC or before being sentenced?
Not for very long. Just from the 18th to the 24th.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 02:23:38 PM »

Anytime he spent in county may count, otherwise he wouldn't be getting any SSC=Supplemental Sentence Credit until closer to his out date, if he is eligible, they will determine that once he is in for awhile.

You can contact his counselor, but don't ask about the SSC, they won't tell you anything. It states right on the IDOC website for families not to call and ask.  The inmates are told not to ask either.  If you have other questions that they can answer, they will, just right everything down before you call and ask.

I hope it all works out for you, but right now, even though you want to know, it's a waiting game.  It may take him awhile to be moved to his parent prison.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Permc

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 02:50:04 PM »

Anytime he spent in county may count, otherwise he wouldn't be getting any SSC=Supplemental Sentence Credit until closer to his out date, if he is eligible, they will determine that once he is in for awhile.

You can contact his counselor, but don't ask about the SSC, they won't tell you anything. It states right on the IDOC website for families not to call and ask.  The inmates are told not to ask either.  If you have other questions that they can answer, they will, just right everything down before you call and ask.

I hope it all works out for you, but right now, even though you want to know, it's a waiting game.  It may take him awhile to be moved to his parent prison.

He warned me about that before he went to receiving. That's really the only thing I was confused about. I have never been through this before. He also told me he may not get any good time because he was in prison before and was released in August 2014. He was given good time during his first time around. But he wasn't sure if they would give him anything or not. It sucks not being able to hear from him and not knowing when I'll hear from him. But all I can do is wait and hope he doesn't get into any trouble that might affect his parole date.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 04:15:43 PM »
Is he in on a parole violation?

Offline Permc

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »

No, they didn't violate his parole.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 04:41:17 PM »

Was he on parole when he was picked up for this new charge?

Offline Permc

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 05:46:36 PM »

Yes.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 05:53:37 PM »

Yes.

Ok, this is what happens when you are on parole if you get a new conviction.

Big time eats up little time. so if he had more time left on parole than what he got on this new conviction, he would do the rest of his parole, if his new conviction is more time than parole, he would do the new time.

This is probably why the confusion now with his out date, they will eventually update with the correct date and yes you are right, he will not get any SSC, not if he is really back because he violated parole with a new conviction. Whatever his out date is, that is the date I would expect him home.

Offline Permc

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »

Yes.

Ok, this is what happens when you are on parole if you get a new conviction.

Big time eats up little time. so if he had more time left on parole than what he got on this new conviction, he would do the rest of his parole, if his new conviction is more time than parole, he would do the new time.

This is probably why the confusion now with his out date, they will eventually update with the correct date and yes you are right, he will not get any SSC, not if he is really back because he violated parole with a new conviction. Whatever his out date is, that is the date I would expect him home.

I'm not following. For the first time he was in prison, his parole date ends on August 4th 2016. His new sentence is 18 months at 50% which has his projected parole date of August 18th 2016 (August 18th 2017 is the projected release date.)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 06:21:23 PM »
His new conviction was more time than what he had left on parole, so he serves out the new conviction time and the rest of his original parole is dropped.  Big time eats little time.

Offline Permc

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 06:27:04 PM »
His new conviction was more time than what he had left on parole, so he serves out the new conviction time and the rest of his original parole is dropped.  Big time eats little time.

Not the full 18 months though? Right? He was told by the prosecutor that if he doesn't get in trouble, he'll only serve half of the 18 months (9) with a year supervision afterwards. Sorry. I'm just so nervous and anxious. Like I said, this is new to me.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 07:17:03 PM »
He got 18 months @50% so he serves 9 months of that and then he still has to do his parole when he gets out and IF he doesn't get into anymore trouble when out, they could cut his parole time in 1/2, but don't count on that until it happens. 

18 months (new conviction) was more than what he had left on his parole time. So Big time eats little time and he doesn't have to serve out the rest of his *old* parole time, you should be happy about that.

Offline Permc

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 07:51:31 PM »
He got 18 months @50% so he serves 9 months of that and then he still has to do his parole when he gets out and IF he doesn't get into anymore trouble when out, they could cut his parole time in 1/2, but don't count on that until it happens. 

18 months (new conviction) was more than what he had left on his parole time. So Big time eats little time and he doesn't have to serve out the rest of his *old* parole time, you should be happy about that.

I'm very happy about that. Thank you so much for clearing things up for me. It really puts my mind at ease. Although he will miss the first 7 months of our daughters life, I'm glad he didn't get as long as he could have gotten. I'm sure this site will help me through this. Do you know if its possible to transfer an inmate to another state? We actually live in Kentucky and he got in trouble in Illinois. I'd like to look into maybe trying to get him close to home if at all possible. That's probably a long shot though, huh?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »

I'm very happy about that. Thank you so much for clearing things up for me. It really puts my mind at ease. Although he will miss the first 7 months of our daughters life, I'm glad he didn't get as long as he could have gotten. I'm sure this site will help me through this. Do you know if its possible to transfer an inmate to another state? We actually live in Kentucky and he got in trouble in Illinois. I'd like to look into maybe trying to get him close to home if at all possible. That's probably a long shot though, huh?

Don't count on his transferring to do his sentence, but you can start to research Interstate Compact now, to try and get him to parole to you in Kentucky .. we have a whole section on it.. just look at the front page of IPT.

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?board=31.0

Yes, you will learn alot in the months going forward and I know it's going to be harder on your being pregnant, but you will get through it.

Offline Permc

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 09:24:43 PM »

Don't count on his transferring to do his sentence, but you can start to research Interstate Compact now, to try and get him to parole to you in Kentucky .. we have a whole section on it.. just look at the front page of IPT.

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?board=31.0

Yes, you will learn alot in the months going forward and I know it's going to be harder on your being pregnant, but you will get through it.

I've been looking into the interstate compact already. I understand he can't put his request in until 120 days before his release date, but I like being prepared ahead of time. Thank you for all the help! If I have any other questions, I'll be sure to post.

Offline Permc

Parole violation
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 10:54:05 PM »
I'm back with another question!
Here's a little information on this case before I ask. My husband was on parole for residential burglary (class 1 felony.) His ending parole date is August 4th 2016. He was arrested in June on a charge of "theft under $200." I bonded him out but on his initial court date he was going to be charged with residential burglary and home invasion. Luckily they dropped his home invasion charge and were only going to charge him with residential. After he waived his preliminary hearing the state made him an offer of 18 months at 50% (with a year supervision) and dropped the charge to a class 4 felony of theft over $300. And he was taken into custody on November 18th. His parole officer sent in a non violation request to the parole board after he was taken from county to receiving.
I just received his first letter and he said they violated his parole. Last time I spoke with his PO, she said if they don't violate him, he will serve his 9 months and a year parole+his remaining parole time. But if they do violate him, his parole will be cut in half. I'm not sure what she meant by that. I'm assuming she meant he would serve his 9 months and then only serve half a year on parole after that.
I'm starting to worry now. I was told by a mutual friend that he will serve half of his original parole time + his 9 months sentence time.
At this point, what should I expect? Obviously, expect the worst, right?

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
Re: Parole violation
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 04:09:08 AM »
I think your friend is correct. Pretty sure it's his old parole time that he would now have to serve inside that would be cut in half. Then he would begin serving his new time.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 08:33:48 AM »

Your topics were merged together, since it all pertains to the same thing.