• November 13, 2018, 10:30:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Bootcamp Questions  (Read 32793 times)

Offline Kdm

Re: Bootcamp Questions
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 04:59:27 PM »
Do all bootcamp graduates have house arrest as part of their parole?

A fair amount end up with house arrest, however it seems with no rhyme or reason.  I did not receive house arrest and would say approximately 40% of my parole school session (comprised of about 25 people) did not receive house arrest either. 

Offline ccan

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2016, 06:26:34 PM »
Do you think house arrest has anything to do with the time of the original sentence?

Thank you again for your replies.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2016, 10:12:33 PM »
Do you think house arrest has anything to do with the time of the original sentence?

Thank you again for your replies.

As mentioned, I would think it had to do with the type of offense and what the offense was, however it seems be guided with little/no rhyme or reason.  One of the inmates in my parole school had a 9 year sentence (yes, I'm aware the state law mandates a MAXIMUM of 8 year sentence to be eligible, however this is one of many inaccuracies I witnessed) for something auto-theft related; he did not receive any house arrest.  I witnessed a split down the middle between people which had drug possession/distribution charges and gun possession/discharge charges, in which some had house arrest, some didn't.  Unfortunately you won't know until your loved one goes to parole school.

Offline Nwilmington

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2016, 08:17:13 PM »
Can anybody go to graduation? My friend is a felon but she wants to go support him

Offline Kdm

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2016, 10:07:33 PM »
Can anybody go to graduation? My friend is a felon but she wants to go support him

They won't allow her on the premise, nor can he have contact with her following the graduation (immediate violation of parole).

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2016, 07:13:46 AM »
Just to be clear, if the inmate has ever had to take medications for depression, anxiety, or the like, they will be refused for bootcamp?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2016, 07:33:15 AM »
Just to be clear, if the inmate has ever had to take medications for depression, anxiety, or the like, they will be refused for bootcamp?

I don't think if he has *ever* taken then, just if he is on them when he goes through his classification in R&C, he may be denied. A few prior members LO's had issues.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2016, 07:43:24 AM »
Thanks mah. Someone I know is considering this and I'm wanting to make sure they aren't given false information and hope. They are in county at the moment and have been taking a medication.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2016, 07:53:51 AM »
Thanks mah. Someone I know is considering this and I'm wanting to make sure they aren't given false information and hope. They are in county at the moment and have been taking a medication.

From IDOC

The Illinois Department of Corrections operates two adult boot camps and one juvenile camp. The adult camps are located at the DuQuoin State Fairground in Perry County, and at Dixon Springs, at the edge of the Shawnee National Forest in deep southern Illinois. The juvenile camp is located in Murphysboro. Adult inmates must volunteer before the judge and the placement recommendation by the judge is reviewed when the inmate is received at Corrections. Corrections administrators determine who goes to the juvenile camp. Adults may not have been convicted of a serious crime, must be between the ages of 18-35 and not have been sentenced to Corrections more than twice. They cannot have a sentence of more than 8 years. Corrections retains the right to determine who goes to boot camp based on the nature of the crime and whether the inmate can take the regimentation both physically and mentally. The camp is 120-days in length. Inmates may not have visitors for 30 days, and then only immediate family. They are also restricted from phone calls for a period of time. Inmates may possess only what Corrections gives them.

Again, even if the judge orders it, IDOC will allow/deny, having to take meds every day may not help.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Kdm

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2016, 08:43:57 AM »

There is a list of approved medications, it's very short.  Depression medications, psychotropics, etc will often cause for medical holds preventing bootcamp.  This is only the circumstance if the individual is taking them presently, they will not put a medical hold for past medications.  The only medication that was approved during my stay, was someone who required anti-seizure medications.

Offline to the moon and back

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2016, 01:18:57 AM »
Hi! I have a alot of questions that I hope can be answered my boyfriend was just moved to the prison. Will he be tested there and how long will he have to be in receiving i hope not long... :wc17:

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2016, 07:54:25 AM »
Hi! I have a alot of questions that I hope can be answered my boyfriend was just moved to the prison. Will he be tested there and how long will he have to be in receiving i hope not long... :wc17:

What prison was he moved to?

Offline Kdm

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2016, 05:02:04 PM »

I'd recommend reading the threads straight through, this has been answered a couple times.  How long an individual sits at NRC/SRC is really dependent on the type of capacity the bootcamps are taking on.  I'd say a fair average is between 4-6 weeks, however I've seen some leave as quickly as 1 week and as long as 16.

Offline Lbrand89

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2016, 05:06:02 PM »
I am just wondering if anyone has any current information about wait times to start Bootcamp? I have read a lot of the threads saying that the time for transfer varies, but I just wanted to see if anyone has a l/o who has recently been to Bootcamp. If anyone knows if there is a specific date that inmates are being sent to book camp. My l/o has been in county since the beginning of July after pleading guilty. I spoke with him last night, and he said that his beard was just cut. So, does this mean that he will be transferred to Stateville soon? I am connected with Vine and everything, but nothing as been updated. Any information would be appreciated.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2016, 06:04:41 PM »
I am just wondering if anyone has any current information about wait times to start Bootcamp? I have read a lot of the threads saying that the time for transfer varies, but I just wanted to see if anyone has a l/o who has recently been to Bootcamp. If anyone knows if there is a specific date that inmates are being sent to book camp. My l/o has been in county since the beginning of July after pleading guilty. I spoke with him last night, and he said that his beard was just cut. So, does this mean that he will be transferred to Stateville soon? I am connected with Vine and everything, but nothing as been updated. Any information would be appreciated.

Any statement of wait times are purely guesses based on experience, no one (including staff at the boot camp or NRC/SRC) really have much insight into it.  Logistics for it occur in Springfield.  I'm surprised that you said your LO has been in county for multiple weeks, in my experience I spent a single day (not even a full day... from sentencing, I was on a 4am bus to NRC/Stateville the next morning).  His hair probably has nothing to do with the transfer...  it was purely elective when I was at NRC, as your head/beard is shaved when you get to bootcamp.

Offline Lbrand89

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2016, 07:03:18 PM »
Yes, he got arrested on April 19th, and plead guilty on July 7th. I spoke w him last night and he was still in Will County. He is worried that he will be sitting in Stateville for awhile. He has been there a few other times, so he knows how it is. So I guess it is just a waiting game then, to see when they move him to Stateville, and when he gets moved out of there? Do you happen to know when he will find out if he was approved for Bootcamp? Will this be right when he gets to Stateville, or before he would leave for Bootcamp?

Offline Kdm

« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2016, 10:44:09 PM »
Yes, he got arrested on April 19th, and plead guilty on July 7th. I spoke w him last night and he was still in Will County. He is worried that he will be sitting in Stateville for awhile. He has been there a few other times, so he knows how it is. So I guess it is just a waiting game then, to see when they move him to Stateville, and when he gets moved out of there? Do you happen to know when he will find out if he was approved for Bootcamp? Will this be right when he gets to Stateville, or before he would leave for Bootcamp?

There's the judge recommendation, then once he gets to NRC he'll have a physical completed.  From there, it's dependent on the physical results and their doing a background check to make sure there's nothing that precludes him from participating (open cases, disqualifying charges, etc).  He won't know with absolute certainty until the evening before he leaves, unfortunately.