• November 14, 2018, 04:15:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Bootcamp Questions  (Read 32807 times)

Offline Kdm

Bootcamp Questions
« on: November 13, 2015, 04:52:27 PM »
It seems that there are a lot more questions floating around than there are answers.  I meant to do this sooner, as I attempted to research the IIP program prior to my sentencing and found very little information.

I was sentenced in 12/14 and subsequently spent time in NRC, eventually being transferred to Dixon Springs' IIP.  I successfully completed the IIP in 05/15. 

If you have any questions about the process, my experience or anything else you might think of, feel free to post your questions.  I'll do my best to respond in the most timely matter possible.

Offline Hisgirl0201

Re: Bootcamp Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 11:34:21 AM »
Hello , im glad i saw your post because my boyfriend is in Dixon springs and have been there October 27th
How was your experience? Was it tough to complete? How accurate are the expected release dates? Sorry if im hounding you with questions it's just the really tough for me right now. Thank you.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 11:50:32 AM »
Hello , im glad i saw your post because my boyfriend is in Dixon springs and have been there October 27th
How was your experience? Was it tough to complete? How accurate are the expected release dates? Sorry if im hounding you with questions it's just the really tough for me right now. Thank you.

Feel free to ask away.  My experience was a reasonable one - as long as you're respectful, put effort into everything, the process really isn't bad at all.  One of the most common issues I found among other inmates was that they took the actions of the officers personally.  I noticed that once my fellow inmates realized that the officers were there to do a very particular job (and it was just a job like any other), the psychological aspect became much easier.  I was at Dixon Springs as well, the staff there was reasonable and respectful.  The expected release dates, once you've actually made it to the bootcamp, are VERY accurate.  Essentially, the only reason for a date change would be for your boyfriend to receive enough demerits (or have a large enough infraction) to merit an extension.  As long as he's serious about the program, you'll see him on that 121st day. 

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer them.  Just as I mentioned in my previous post, I found that there was a significant lack of information on the boot camps - what information was available, was YEARS outdated. 

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 06:24:21 PM »
Glad you are here kdm, how was it finding a job after release?
He's home!

Offline Kdm

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 06:54:16 PM »
Glad you are here kdm, how was it finding a job after release?

I was self employed prior to incarceration.  My parole officer reviewed my information and felt as long as I checked in frequently with him and provided verification of income, I could remain doing the same. 

Finding employment for others was much more difficult, in part, due to post-release conditions; it is not uncommon for conditions of release to include house-arrest or an otherwise strict curfew.  Make sure you're prepared to encourage their job hunt.  It's not easy and they're likely not going to be prepared for the fact that they will need to settle for less than ideal employment.  The other consideration to make would be that by going through this program, they're exiting as a convicted felon.  In short: it won't be easy.  I will say that the majority of the people I spent time with during the program showed a very significant change in their confidence and personal fortitude.  My experience would likely indicate that they're more likely to successfully find employment than they were prior to incarceration.

Offline Hisgirl0201

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 03:57:04 AM »
Well that is DEFINITELY a relief! I know this Is By Far the hardest thing he has EVER had to do so Completing the program is important to him and me seeing that we have a 6 month old son! How would you know if the date changes because he has gotten in trouble? Will they Notify you or is it the inmates responsibility to let loved ones know? How Long were u on House Arrest after Being Released? His Parole officer came by about a Week after him Being in the program? He is Now More Than Half Way Thru The Program! 10 weeks Left!! How long does it take for mail to come and Go? Because I sent 3 letters and i have noway of knowing if he got them i follow the guidelines for writing and whatnot! But its been 2 almost 3 weeks and Still No Letter! Thabks For Being here KDM

Offline Kdm

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 08:25:54 AM »

During the entire process, the IDOC website will reflect the actual sentence received, at absolutely no point will it show the bootcamp out date.  For instance, if there is a 3 year sentence, it will show that until the day of graduation.  The only slightly telling indication is if the photo changes (you receive one final photo update anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 day prior to graduation).  If an inmate gets in trouble they can have their Bootcamp term extended beyond 120 days.  By law, you have to complete the program in 180 days, so any extension beyond 180 days results in being sent to prison.  The only change that will occur in the IDOC website at that time will be the institution the inmate is being held in.  This will NOT come as a surprise if it occurs.  The officers and superiors at the boot camp are difficult, however they are equally fair.  If someone is considering quitting, the counselor will have that person call home and speak to their loved ones and explain that it is their decision to quit - it is just as difficult to quit as it is to complete the program.  That said, you can also be medically terminated.  If you are not physically capable of participating, you can be sent to prison.  I've seen some shocking exceptions to that - one inmate broke his collar bone, he was in the hospital several weeks and chose to come back to the bootcamp.  He was extended for the time he was in the hospital, but was still able to complete the bootcamp.    You may call the counselor at any time and she will be able to look up if there are any extensions.

House arrest, anklets, GPS monitors: these are all dependent on the parole boards review of an inmate's case.  This is decided before you even get into the bootcamp and has absolutely no rhyme or reason.  I had no house arrest or monitor, however I was required to check in twice weekly by phone.  Some of the others in my Parole School "class," were given 30 day house arrest, 90 day house arrest, a couple even received 6 months.  An inmate in the bootcamp will go to Parole School anywhere between 60-90 days into the program.

Forevermah is correct, you will receive an initial letter from the date of the program starting.  You are told what to write, along with the date you are scheduled to graduate the program.  You do not have the opportunity to purchase writeouts until 30 days of being in the program.  Even then, you are only able to purchase a maximum of 2 each week.  An inmate is given an allowance that is used to purchase their own hygiene supplies, pens, envelopes, etc.  They must purchase all essential items (soap, shaving razor, etc) before being able to purchase envelopes - if for whatever reason they have too many essentials to purchase, they may not be able to purchase envelopes that week.  This has absolutely nothing to do with your Trust Account ("books").  Money put into the Trust Account can only be spent on clothing items, as all issued items are essentially hand-me-downs (falling apart).  That means their Trust Account money is only used to purchase boots, running shoes, t-shirts, underwear, socks, etc.  If they were to purchase everything available to them, it would be impossible to even spend $150.

That being said, mail is slow.  Expect there to be a week, sometimes more, of a delay on mail.  When you send a letter, it goes to the parent institution, gets sorted, then is finally picked up manually by an officer, driven back to the bootcamp, read by designated officers and then finally handed out to bootcampers.  The entire process is the same, however reversed, when mailing out.  It was not surprising to receive something 7-10 days after it's postmark, although it usually ran about 3 days late.  Keep in mind that you need to read mailing instructions VERY carefully.  Do not deviate from the instructions even slightly.  Writing the word "ass," for instance would be enough to cause your letter to be rejected - that means your loved one will receive a rejection notice, however will not have an opportunity to see your letter otherwise.  The rules for content are very particular.  EVERYTHING is read very thoroughly, keep that in mind.  There is zero expectation of privacy.

Offline zsr5

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 02:36:23 PM »
Have you ever heard of admittance to IIP Without a suggestion from the court?  There is a 2012 copy of a statute for something that indicates one could be suggested for IIP AT INTAKE.  Just curious?!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 03:08:38 PM »
Have you ever heard of admittance to IIP Without a suggestion from the court?  There is a 2012 copy of a statute for something that indicates one could be suggested for IIP AT INTAKE.  Just curious?!

Section 460.30  Screening and Placement

a)         Committed persons approved by the courts shall, subject to availability of space, be screened for placement in the program at a reception and classification center or unit in accordance with 20 Ill. Adm. Code 503.Subpart A.  In determining program approval of eligible committed persons, the Department may also consider, among other matters:

1)         The committed person's criminal history, including outstanding warrants or detainers.

2)         Whether the committed person has a history of escaping or absconding or attempting to escape or abscond.

3)         Whether the committed person's participation in the program would pose a risk to the safety and security of any person or the facility.

4)         The committed person's grade status.

5)         The committed person's disciplinary record and institutional adjustment.

6)         Availability of space in the program.

7)         Whether the committed person has any known enemies in the program.

8)         Whether the committed person has or agrees to obtain a suitable host site and a working telephone for placement on electronic monitoring upon successful completion of the program.

b)         The committed person shall be evaluated by a physician and mental health professional to determine whether he is physically and mentally able to participate in the program.

c)         The committed person shall sign a consent to participate in the program and to adhere to the terms and conditions of the program.

d)         If the committed person's screening indicates the committed person is eligible for acceptance in the program, the committed person may be assigned to a correctional facility until such time as space is available in the program. In order to remain eligible for acceptance in the program, the committed person must, among other matters, maintain eligibility requirements and a positive disciplinary record and institutional adjustment while awaiting transfer to the program facility.  Acceptance in the program shall not be deemed to occur until such time as the committed person is admitted to the impact incarceration program facility.  The committed person may grieve a determination that he is no longer eligible for acceptance in the program in accordance with Section 460.90.

e)         Committed persons not accepted by the Department for placement in the program shall be assigned to a correctional facility to serve the sentence imposed by the sentencing court.

f)         The Department shall notify the sentencing court in writing of a committed person's acceptance in the Impact Incarceration Program.

(Source:  Amended at 18 Ill. Reg. 2933, effective February 14, 1994)
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Kdm

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 06:43:08 PM »
Have you ever heard of admittance to IIP Without a suggestion from the court?  There is a 2012 copy of a statute for something that indicates one could be suggested for IIP AT INTAKE.  Just curious?!

That's a question for an attorney.  In the official IIP paperwork that was distributed, it included a note that said that a judge's recommendation was part of the process (it had precisely what Forevermah makes reference to). To be honest, I'm not even sure how that is recorded - when I was transferred from Cook County to Stateville for receiving, they marked on my paperwork a "B/C," which indicated that were being separated from general population.  That said, I don't know how they would pull someone with no sentencing recommendation from general population into the bootcamper receiving area.

My gut says it's something legalese which makes it allowed, how it is from a practical perspective, I don't know.  Consult an attorney.  I am happy to provide a recommendation to the attorney I utilized, should you need one.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 06:55:03 PM »
The judge has to request the inmate go to bootcamp and the IDOC has the final decision on who goes as is stated in the Title 20 Administrative Rules I posted above.

The Du Quoin Impact Incarceration Program is a short term, paramilitary style rehabilitation program which houses 200 offenders. Du Quoin IIP functions as a bootcamp, whereby eligible offenders approved by the sentencing court and accepted by the department, shall upon successful completion of the program requirements have their sentences reduced to time served between 120-180 active days. Upon successful completion, the offender shall serve a term of mandatory supervised release.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline ccan

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 08:03:11 PM »
How long were you in NRC?

I checked with the state and they said there is currently no wait for Bootcamp and my son's counselor confirmed his eligibility.  He has had the physical/medical tests and has never been arrested for anything else.
She said the only risk is if he gets a ticket while waiting for the paperwork to be completed.
I don't know what "paperwork" means especially after reading the article about the people who are brought in and released the same day.
He has only been at NRC for two weeks but a counselor when he first arrived said it would be 10 days or more.  Today this counselor said maybe 90 days but then said she really didn't know when I questioned her.
Before my son went in we were told that NRC keeps people for a minimum of 60 days so they can get payment from the state.
My son has been told that people go to bootcamp once a week.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 08:29:59 PM »
 If your son has been approved, it may take a bit longer for them to process his paperwork, all his evaluations etc and then he has to wait for a bed to open up in boot camp.  Hopefully  he is moved soon.

The 60 day rule has nothing to do your son, since he is being moved to boot camp and will be there at least 120-180 days.

Yes people do go to bootcamp regularly, but no telling how long they wait to get there.  the waits used to be 90+ days, but that isn't the case anymore.

Good Luck, hope he gets into the program soon and then his time starts !

Offline ccan

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 06:55:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply.
I thought bootcamp was a minimum of 120 days (but up to 180) or does it depend on the person?
So if his evaluations are complete and he is confirmed eligible, what paperwork is left?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 07:35:21 AM »
Thanks for the reply.
I thought bootcamp was a minimum of 120 days (but up to 180) or does it depend on the person?
So if his evaluations are complete and he is confirmed eligible, what paperwork is left?

They have to go over everything with his paperwork and once a bed opens up he will go, if he is approved he will be moved.  This is the hardest part for him and you, the waiting. IDOC moves at their own pace, be patient.  Keep writing him and giving him lots of support, this is a tough program and he will need your support and read up on the bootcamp board so you know from others, what to expect.

Yes 120 but up to 180 days if anything happens, gets sick/ gets into trouble .. he has 180 days to finish the program.

Have you called:  #217-558-2200  Ask for Bob the Boot Camp Coordinator ... to see if he has any info on when your son may be moved?

Offline ccan

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 08:02:25 PM »
My son was moved to East Moline and told he was denied bootcamp because a doctor in the county jail prescribed him something to sleep.
He was told there is no review.
Does anyone know who has authority over review?  Can the mental health office at East Moline review or are only reception centers authorized to review for bootcamp?  He was told he could file a grievance about transfer placement.  Does anyone know who that grievance goes to and if they have authority over bootcamp placement?

Offline Kdm

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 10:03:04 PM »
How long were you in NRC?

I checked with the state and they said there is currently no wait for Bootcamp and my son's counselor confirmed his eligibility.  He has had the physical/medical tests and has never been arrested for anything else.
She said the only risk is if he gets a ticket while waiting for the paperwork to be completed.
I don't know what "paperwork" means especially after reading the article about the people who are brought in and released the same day.
He has only been at NRC for two weeks but a counselor when he first arrived said it would be 10 days or more.  Today this counselor said maybe 90 days but then said she really didn't know when I questioned her.
Before my son went in we were told that NRC keeps people for a minimum of 60 days so they can get payment from the state.
My son has been told that people go to bootcamp once a week.

I was in NRC for about 3 weeks (December 10th until Jan 1st).  The wait time fluctuates regardless of bunk availability.  When I arrived at Dixon Springs, the facility was at about half occupancy - apparently summer is when they increase their numbers.  Prior to my arrival, there had been no pack-outs for 6 weeks, other than those going to an actual prison rather than a bootcamp.  He can get a ticket, however bootcampers are segregated from general population while at NRC - as long as he is not up to anything inappropriate, he has nothing to worry about.

The 60 day hold to get "payment," from the state is not accurate.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 10:07:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Bootcamp is 120 days (depart on the 121st) so long as there are no extensions.  Extensions are based on conduct while in the program, demerits and major infractions.  I'd say about 50% of the people I was present with completed the program with no extensions.  If someone receives enough extensions in which they exceed the 180 days, they will be removed from the program and sent to prison to sit the remainder of their court mandated sentence.

If his evals and medicals are completed (which are a joke for the most part) it's just a waiting game.  Don't stress out thinking about when it might be, because there genuinely is no rhyme or discernible reason.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 10:09:59 PM »
My son was moved to East Moline and told he was denied bootcamp because a doctor in the county jail prescribed him something to sleep.
Does anyone know who has authority over review?  Can the mental health office at East Moline review or are only reception centers authorized to review for bootcamp?  He was told he could file a grievance about transfer placement.  Does anyone know who that grievance goes to and if they have authority over bootcamp placement?

Unfortunately there is no appeal for this.  They will deny people with particular medical conditions, medication requirements (mostly psychotropic).  I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, however bootcamp is now out of the question.

Offline ccan

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 05:49:06 PM »

Unfortunately there is no appeal for this.  They will deny people with particular medical conditions, medication requirements (mostly psychotropic).  I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, however bootcamp is now out of the question.

Thanks for all of your replies.
My son saw someone in mental health at East Moline who said his denial was a mistake.  She was going to fix the record.
I feel like we are now back at square one.  He even thinks that he has to return to Stateville but it will be harder because there will be a lingering confusion.  I wonder if she'll have the authority from East Moline to overrule Stateville or if all mental health providers have the same authority.  Is it too much to hope for that he'd be put at the top of the list?  When he left Stateville both Bootcamp pods were full and he had been there three weeks.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 12:31:30 PM »
My son saw someone in mental health at East Moline who said his denial was a mistake.  She was going to fix the record.
I feel like we are now back at square one.  He even thinks that he has to return to Stateville but it will be harder because there will be a lingering confusion.  I wonder if she'll have the authority from East Moline to overrule Stateville or if all mental health providers have the same authority.  Is it too much to hope for that he'd be put at the top of the list?  When he left Stateville both Bootcamp pods were full and he had been there three weeks.

That would be fantastic news if he's actually returned to Stateville and brought back into the BC segregation.  I want you to understand that at no point would I rule the possibility of anything out (I had seen some very bizarre occurrences during my stay), however I would avoid a hopeful stance.  Let the possibility of good news be a pleasant surprise rather than maintaining those hopes until finding out for sure.

I cannot comment on the authority of the mental health workers.  In my experience, the medical and mental health evaluations were rudimentary.  You'd probably shocked if I told you some of the instances of people slipping through the cracks to make it into the program - that includes having sentencing that was not consistent with what should have been allowed in the program. 

In terms of the order he's placed in, there is little rhyme or reason with that.  Length of time sitting can be dependent on multiple things, not limited to those evaluations, or the research into the potential program attendee.  They're very thorough about making sure there are no outstanding cases and/or warrants (this is a good thing, people will be pulled from BC if one comes up).  When I was packed out, there were people who had been waiting 60 days longer than me that eventually made it into the program 30 days after I had.  Without knowing for certain, I would expect it's more of a lottery than anything.  Just consider the fact that if he sits for another 60 days, while as terrible as that sounds, it certainly will not line up with whatever the sentencing was for his conviction.

To be clear, the capacity of the bootcamps are not maxed out.  When I was present in Dixon Springs, the inmate count varied from under 100 to 130.  Capacity for males was well over 200.  As mentioned in a previous posting, it was explained to us that the summer months are packed with everyone they can fit, with all bunks full.  I assume it's based on seasonal curriculum, during the winter months there were only a couple work crews that went out, topping off at 6 when I left in the Spring.  We were told by officers that there were over a dozen work crews during the nicer weather.

Offline ccan

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 06:29:43 PM »

That would be fantastic news if he's actually returned to Stateville and brought back into the BC segregation.  I want you to understand that at no point would I rule the possibility of anything out (I had seen some very bizarre occurrences during my stay), however I would avoid a hopeful stance.  Let the possibility of good news be a pleasant surprise rather than maintaining those hopes until finding out for sure.

I cannot comment on the authority of the mental health workers.  In my experience, the medical and mental health evaluations were rudimentary.  You'd probably shocked if I told you some of the instances of people slipping through the cracks to make it into the program - that includes having sentencing that was not consistent with what should have been allowed in the program. 

In terms of the order he's placed in, there is little rhyme or reason with that.  Length of time sitting can be dependent on multiple things, not limited to those evaluations, or the research into the potential program attendee.  They're very thorough about making sure there are no outstanding cases and/or warrants (this is a good thing, people will be pulled from BC if one comes up).  When I was packed out, there were people who had been waiting 60 days longer than me that eventually made it into the program 30 days after I had.  Without knowing for certain, I would expect it's more of a lottery than anything.  Just consider the fact that if he sits for another 60 days, while as terrible as that sounds, it certainly will not line up with whatever the sentencing was for his conviction.

To be clear, the capacity of the bootcamps are not maxed out.  When I was present in Dixon Springs, the inmate count varied from under 100 to 130.  Capacity for males was well over 200.  As mentioned in a previous posting, it was explained to us that the summer months are packed with everyone they can fit, with all bunks full.  I assume it's based on seasonal curriculum, during the winter months there were only a couple work crews that went out, topping off at 6 when I left in the Spring.  We were told by officers that there were over a dozen work crews during the nicer weather.

Did you know of anyone who came to bootcamp from somewhere other than a reception center? 
Obviously it would be better to wait at East Moline but I don't know how the transportation system works for any transfer.
So do you think they wait to place people at bootcamp based on work crew needs rather than just bed space?

We live in New York and our 20-year old son was arrested on a trip to Illinois so I am searching for every piece of information possible.  There is no reason to most of what he's experienced thus far.  I guess he lost the right to that.

Your posts have been very helpful to us.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 06:33:36 AM »
Did you know of anyone who came to bootcamp from somewhere other than a reception center?
Obviously it would be better to wait at East Moline but I don't know how the transportation system works for any transfer.
So do you think they wait to place people at bootcamp based on work crew needs rather than just bed space?

We live in New York and our 20-year old son was arrested on a trip to Illinois so I am searching for every piece of information possible.  There is no reason to most of what he's experienced thus far.  I guess he lost the right to that.

They normally move inmates right from the reception centers to the two main prisons that the camps are at, Vienna and Pinckneyville and from there when a bed opens up they will move them into the camp. Bed space may also have to do with length of sentence the inmate was convicted to, those with shorter sentences, maybe moved first, among other criteria.

Have you called his counselor at East Moline?  They will talk to you, but only answer the questions they can.  Just look up the number for East Moline, when you all ask to talk to your sons counselor, give them his # and they should connect.. Make sure you write everything down before you call, so you don't forget anything and again, they should answer what they can.

Did you ever call Springfield, Bob the bootcamp coordinator?

Offline Kdm

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 02:08:49 PM »

Your posts have been very helpful to us.

I did not encounter anyone who came from anywhere other than NRC or SRC.  That's not to say it's not possible, but none that I had encountered.

Yes, they place people in the bootcamp depending on other metrics outside of space availability.  It scales based on what type of activity they can accommodate.  When there are a greater number of work crews, etc, they have people actually going out, participating in the community.  During the winter months, sans the few work crews that were present, most prisoners spent their days either standing upright or being disciplined.  I don't have any insight as to why, but my guess is that they actually want participants to be doing something productive.

Offline ccan

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 02:58:35 PM »

We live in New York and our 20-year old son was arrested on a trip to Illinois so I am searching for every piece of information possible.  There is no reason to most of what he's experienced thus far.  I guess he lost the right to that.

They normally move inmates right from the reception centers to the two main prisons that the camps are at, Vienna and Pinckneyville and from there when a bed opens up they will move them into the camp. Bed space may also have to do with length of sentence the inmate was convicted to, those with shorter sentences, maybe moved first, among other criteria.

Have you called his counselor at East Moline?  They will talk to you, but only answer the questions they can.  Just look up the number for East Moline, when you all ask to talk to your sons counselor, give them his # and they should connect.. Make sure you write everything down before you call, so you don't forget anything and again, they should answer what they can.

Have you called his counselor at East Moline?  They will talk to you, but only answer the questions they can.  Just look up the number for East Moline, when you all ask to talk to your sons counselor, give them his # and they should connect.. Make sure you write everything down before you call, so you don't forget anything and again, they should answer what they can.

I did call Springfield but have been talking to a Bruce who is the transfer coordinator.  They didn't know who Bob was.  Maybe he left?
My son talked to someone who said he was moved directly from East Moline to Vienna to Dixon.  I'm hoping that is true and he doesn't need to go back to Stateville.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 03:27:29 PM »

I did call Springfield but have been talking to a Bruce who is the transfer coordinator.  They didn't know who Bob was.  Maybe he left?
My son talked to someone who said he was moved directly from East Moline to Vienna to Dixon.  I'm hoping that is true and he doesn't need to go back to Stateville.

Bob was there for many years as you can look back in posts here and find reference to him over and over, but they could have put someone else there now, you said his name is Bruce, did you get a last name?

If you call his counselor tomorrow, maybe you can find more out, or at least you can ask and see what they tell you.

Offline ccan

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2016, 06:26:49 PM »
Are both DuQuoin and Dixon Bootcamps still open/taking new placements?
My son was told today that one closed.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2016, 06:37:13 AM »
Are both DuQuoin and Dixon Bootcamps still open/taking new placements?
My son was told today that one closed.

As far as we know and as far as the IDOC website states, they are both still open and active.

He'll learn and you rumors go around inside like fire.  Good thing he asked you.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 09:23:44 AM »
He'll learn and you rumors go around inside like fire.  Good thing he asked you.

Forevermah is absolutely correct, this is an understatement.  I was told by a wise person "believe half of what you see, none of what you hear."  That remained largely accurate.  When I was at NRC in waiting, there were people saying that there 3 separate camps, some saying there was just 1, others saying that we were about to be the last group of bootcampers ever.  Part of it was that there was really no first hand account of anything (the reason I wanted to share on this message board), it was largely perpetuation of hearsay.

Offline Coby

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2016, 06:42:11 AM »
Does anyone know how long it takes for the money I put on my son's books to transfer from Graham R&C to Dixon Springs bootcamp? Would it be quicker to send more?  When we he be able to send letters?  I got the "I am at bootcamp" letter.  Sorry I have so many questions.  Thank you

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2016, 07:17:16 AM »
It usually takes quite a while for $ to follow them. My l/O wasn't in BC but from all I've read, they keep them pretty busy, especially in the beginning, so it could be a bit before you get a letter.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2016, 08:05:07 AM »
He cannot buy anything right away when he gets there, so it might be OK and his money could reach him by the time he is allowed commissary.

You can write him and you should, giving him alot of support, just be careful what you put in those letters as I know you've read in other posts here on the BC board.  He can have pictures, but only with family members in them.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2016, 08:38:39 AM »
Forevermah, any possibility of having this thread merged with the other, so everything can stay self contained?  Probably a bit easier for newcomers to read through a single thread rather than multiple.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the money I put on my son's books to transfer from Graham R&C to Dixon Springs bootcamp? Would it be quicker to send more?  When we he be able to send letters?  I got the "I am at bootcamp" letter.  Sorry I have so many questions.  Thank you

Coby, if you check the other questions thread, I explain most of this already, with the exception of money following from the previous institution.  In my experience it took 2 weeks to a month.  You're better off just letting the money follow, as you're not able to purchase any equipment (boots, underwear, socks, etc) until you're several weeks into the program.  Money on the books can't be used for anything other than that, so there really is only so much you can buy (if I recall correctly, around $150 was enough for you to purchase absolutely everything).  In terms of sending mail out, by the 3rd or 4th week he'll be able to receive stamped envelopes.  As mentioned, there isn't much free time, however they can usually count on at least 15 minutes a day to write.

Offline Coby

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2016, 03:20:08 PM »
I appreciate all  of the help I have received on this board.  I have a cell phone and have an account set up with Securustech for calls.  My son would like to call his father who only has a home phone.  I saw something on here about calling Consolidated Communications to set it up but it was from 2012.  Is that what he needs to do or does he also need to call Securustech?   I apologize in advance if I missed the answer to this question.  Thank you in advance for your help. 

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2016, 04:19:48 PM »
Yes he would need his account set up through Securus also.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2016, 06:11:54 PM »
Your son cannot call your husband though, even if he has an account, unless you son adds him to his phone list, that is a must before he is allowed to call anyone.

If he is already on the list, then all your husband needs is an account with Securus.

Offline Coby

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2016, 06:28:30 PM »
Thank you.  He has added him but we weren't sure if he needed to call Securus or Consolitdated Commumications since he is using a landline instead of a cell phone.  Thanks again for the info.  :)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2016, 06:50:30 PM »
Thank you.  He has added him but we weren't sure if he needed to call Securus or Consolitdated Commumications since he is using a landline instead of a cell phone.  Thanks again for the info.  :)

Consolidated is the OLD company IDOC used to deal with, only Securus is allowed now. 

Hope you get calls soon.

Offline ccan

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2016, 06:58:45 PM »
Do all bootcamp graduates have house arrest as part of their parole?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 07:10:33 AM »

Almost all that have been associated with someone on this board have had it for at least 3 months, but I am sure there is always the exception.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 04:59:27 PM »

A fair amount end up with house arrest, however it seems with no rhyme or reason.  I did not receive house arrest and would say approximately 40% of my parole school session (comprised of about 25 people) did not receive house arrest either. 

Offline ccan

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2016, 06:26:34 PM »
Do you think house arrest has anything to do with the time of the original sentence?

Thank you again for your replies.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2016, 10:12:33 PM »
Do you think house arrest has anything to do with the time of the original sentence?

Thank you again for your replies.

As mentioned, I would think it had to do with the type of offense and what the offense was, however it seems be guided with little/no rhyme or reason.  One of the inmates in my parole school had a 9 year sentence (yes, I'm aware the state law mandates a MAXIMUM of 8 year sentence to be eligible, however this is one of many inaccuracies I witnessed) for something auto-theft related; he did not receive any house arrest.  I witnessed a split down the middle between people which had drug possession/distribution charges and gun possession/discharge charges, in which some had house arrest, some didn't.  Unfortunately you won't know until your loved one goes to parole school.

Offline Nwilmington

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2016, 08:17:13 PM »
Can anybody go to graduation? My friend is a felon but she wants to go support him

Offline Kdm

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2016, 10:07:33 PM »
Can anybody go to graduation? My friend is a felon but she wants to go support him

They won't allow her on the premise, nor can he have contact with her following the graduation (immediate violation of parole).

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2016, 07:13:46 AM »
Just to be clear, if the inmate has ever had to take medications for depression, anxiety, or the like, they will be refused for bootcamp?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2016, 07:33:15 AM »
Just to be clear, if the inmate has ever had to take medications for depression, anxiety, or the like, they will be refused for bootcamp?

I don't think if he has *ever* taken then, just if he is on them when he goes through his classification in R&C, he may be denied. A few prior members LO's had issues.

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2016, 07:43:24 AM »
Thanks mah. Someone I know is considering this and I'm wanting to make sure they aren't given false information and hope. They are in county at the moment and have been taking a medication.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2016, 07:53:51 AM »
Thanks mah. Someone I know is considering this and I'm wanting to make sure they aren't given false information and hope. They are in county at the moment and have been taking a medication.

From IDOC

The Illinois Department of Corrections operates two adult boot camps and one juvenile camp. The adult camps are located at the DuQuoin State Fairground in Perry County, and at Dixon Springs, at the edge of the Shawnee National Forest in deep southern Illinois. The juvenile camp is located in Murphysboro. Adult inmates must volunteer before the judge and the placement recommendation by the judge is reviewed when the inmate is received at Corrections. Corrections administrators determine who goes to the juvenile camp. Adults may not have been convicted of a serious crime, must be between the ages of 18-35 and not have been sentenced to Corrections more than twice. They cannot have a sentence of more than 8 years. Corrections retains the right to determine who goes to boot camp based on the nature of the crime and whether the inmate can take the regimentation both physically and mentally. The camp is 120-days in length. Inmates may not have visitors for 30 days, and then only immediate family. They are also restricted from phone calls for a period of time. Inmates may possess only what Corrections gives them.

Again, even if the judge orders it, IDOC will allow/deny, having to take meds every day may not help.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2016, 08:43:57 AM »

There is a list of approved medications, it's very short.  Depression medications, psychotropics, etc will often cause for medical holds preventing bootcamp.  This is only the circumstance if the individual is taking them presently, they will not put a medical hold for past medications.  The only medication that was approved during my stay, was someone who required anti-seizure medications.

Offline to the moon and back

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2016, 01:18:57 AM »
Hi! I have a alot of questions that I hope can be answered my boyfriend was just moved to the prison. Will he be tested there and how long will he have to be in receiving i hope not long... :wc17:

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2016, 07:54:25 AM »
Hi! I have a alot of questions that I hope can be answered my boyfriend was just moved to the prison. Will he be tested there and how long will he have to be in receiving i hope not long... :wc17:

What prison was he moved to?

Offline Kdm

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2016, 05:02:04 PM »

I'd recommend reading the threads straight through, this has been answered a couple times.  How long an individual sits at NRC/SRC is really dependent on the type of capacity the bootcamps are taking on.  I'd say a fair average is between 4-6 weeks, however I've seen some leave as quickly as 1 week and as long as 16.

Offline Lbrand89

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2016, 05:06:02 PM »
I am just wondering if anyone has any current information about wait times to start Bootcamp? I have read a lot of the threads saying that the time for transfer varies, but I just wanted to see if anyone has a l/o who has recently been to Bootcamp. If anyone knows if there is a specific date that inmates are being sent to book camp. My l/o has been in county since the beginning of July after pleading guilty. I spoke with him last night, and he said that his beard was just cut. So, does this mean that he will be transferred to Stateville soon? I am connected with Vine and everything, but nothing as been updated. Any information would be appreciated.

Offline Kdm

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2016, 06:04:41 PM »
I am just wondering if anyone has any current information about wait times to start Bootcamp? I have read a lot of the threads saying that the time for transfer varies, but I just wanted to see if anyone has a l/o who has recently been to Bootcamp. If anyone knows if there is a specific date that inmates are being sent to book camp. My l/o has been in county since the beginning of July after pleading guilty. I spoke with him last night, and he said that his beard was just cut. So, does this mean that he will be transferred to Stateville soon? I am connected with Vine and everything, but nothing as been updated. Any information would be appreciated.

Any statement of wait times are purely guesses based on experience, no one (including staff at the boot camp or NRC/SRC) really have much insight into it.  Logistics for it occur in Springfield.  I'm surprised that you said your LO has been in county for multiple weeks, in my experience I spent a single day (not even a full day... from sentencing, I was on a 4am bus to NRC/Stateville the next morning).  His hair probably has nothing to do with the transfer...  it was purely elective when I was at NRC, as your head/beard is shaved when you get to bootcamp.

Offline Lbrand89

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2016, 07:03:18 PM »
Yes, he got arrested on April 19th, and plead guilty on July 7th. I spoke w him last night and he was still in Will County. He is worried that he will be sitting in Stateville for awhile. He has been there a few other times, so he knows how it is. So I guess it is just a waiting game then, to see when they move him to Stateville, and when he gets moved out of there? Do you happen to know when he will find out if he was approved for Bootcamp? Will this be right when he gets to Stateville, or before he would leave for Bootcamp?

Offline Kdm

« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2016, 10:44:09 PM »
Yes, he got arrested on April 19th, and plead guilty on July 7th. I spoke w him last night and he was still in Will County. He is worried that he will be sitting in Stateville for awhile. He has been there a few other times, so he knows how it is. So I guess it is just a waiting game then, to see when they move him to Stateville, and when he gets moved out of there? Do you happen to know when he will find out if he was approved for Bootcamp? Will this be right when he gets to Stateville, or before he would leave for Bootcamp?

There's the judge recommendation, then once he gets to NRC he'll have a physical completed.  From there, it's dependent on the physical results and their doing a background check to make sure there's nothing that precludes him from participating (open cases, disqualifying charges, etc).  He won't know with absolute certainty until the evening before he leaves, unfortunately.