• October 15, 2018, 04:39:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Setting up new account  (Read 1966 times)

Offline devastateddad

Setting up new account
« on: October 30, 2015, 09:26:53 PM »
Looking at Securus website.  One of the things I see in there for setting up account is this statement:

"You can add multiple phone numbers to your account so your loved one can reach your home phone, work phone, cell phone, other relatives, neighbors, friends, etc."

Ok, so I know the inmate is supposed to turn in a phone list at their facility to be approved to call.
Per the above quote, does the inmate's support person setting up the phone contract have to input all the numbers from their call list into the account as they are setting it up or can the inmate just call anyone on their list without doing that?  I'm confused...

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
Re: Setting up new account
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 11:05:17 PM »
Welcome to IPT. Your inmate will put the phone numbers on their call list, of the people they wish to be able to call. Here's an example... When I set up my Securus account, I added my phone number only, and when my L/O would call me, the money would be subtracted from my account. I could have also added his dad's number, or a friends number also, but figured if they wanted to hear from him, they could put money on their own account. Only put the numbers of those your willing to pay for when your loved one calls them.

Offline devastateddad

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 09:46:08 PM »
Further question, as I'm trying to set up instructions for my sister to do for me after I am in, I see on the Securus website in their setup screens that there is a point in the process labeled "Facility".  Now, to me this looks like you wait until your inmate is at their parent facility before you set up your account so you can choose that place for the "Facility" part of the account setup.

However, I have seen several posts here on IPT telling people to set up their Securus account while the inmate is still in R&C, so that it will be all ready for them after they get their call lists approved at their parent facility.

So, the question then for me to clarify for my sister, do I have her try to set up the Securus account for me while I am in R&C, or is it better to just wait until I am at my parent facility to do it?  And if while in R&C, does that affect the facility you choose in that section, does she have to change the facility in the account once I'm moved, etc?
Thanks

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 01:18:11 AM »
All of IDOC is under a blanket number/service with Securus. You can put R&C as the facility when setting it up, but that doesn't have to be changed with each move. Sort of a "one size fits all."

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 11:00:36 AM »
Definitely, one size fits all, my old cell phone number was on my Securus Account and I never removed it. A guy in our county jail was calling someone with my old cell phone number and I paid for their calls until I caught on.
He's home!