• November 14, 2018, 12:35:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Visits in Centralia  (Read 2346 times)

Offline ezafiro

Visits in Centralia
« on: August 25, 2015, 03:19:10 PM »
My LO just got approved a transfer to centralia. He originally requested Graham but for some reason he is getting sent to centralia, I need to know how the visits are, How long can we visit? All day? if not how many hours can we stay? I wear nothing but skinny jeans, will that be a problem? the blouses, well thats just common sense nothing low cut, Can Someone give me more updated info.

Offline ezafiro

Re: Visits in Centralia
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:23:48 PM »
Also I have a felony on my background I know I must send a letter to the warden. He the warden pretty strict about that? my loved one was in Big muddy and i had no problam with anything, all the correctional officers where so nice to me and my son. I never had a problem there.

Offline BobNBecka

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 04:43:05 PM »
Guards where always nice to my son and I too.  I was on felony probation and the warden OKed me in 3 weeks - back in 2012.

Offline saskatchewanian

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 06:30:47 PM »
Can you wear jeans to visit in Centralia?

Is anyone a visitor there that wouldnt mind providing a bit of a step by step guide of visiting there?

Offline tmfreeman

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 08:26:34 PM »
Visiting is 8:30-5:30. You can't get in from 11:30-1 and can't get in after 2. I'm not 100% sure what you need for the very first visit cause it's been awhile but they have a list of rules and everything you can download on their page on the IDOC website. They are very strict. You can wear jeans but there are ones who won't let you visit if they're too "tight". No hoop or dangly earrings, no hair accessories or bobby pins. No low cut or sheer shirts. Their rules are pretty straight forward but we've had ongoing issues with the rules being interpreted and enforced differently by different officers. You sign in, put money on the card, wait for them to return your identification, and then lock everything up (75 cents for the lockers), and then get shook down. You can only take the locker key, vending card, and visitor slip back with you. After they shake you down you go to another building and into the visiting room, hand the CO at the desk your slip and they'll tell you where to sit (for the most part you have to sit in the seat directly across from the "inmate" seat). When your person gets into the visiting room you go back up by the desk to hug and kiss them. It's a quick hug and kiss and they enforce that. Then you can go back to the table with them. You have to purchase all the food, then take it to the desk and remove the packaging. No packages at the table. Even yogurt had to be emptied out on a plate. You cannot share drinks or eat off of the same plate. You are allowed to hold hands on top of the table and touch forearms though we've had COs try to tell us we couldn't. They cannot hold children, the children must be in their own chair or on a visitor's lap. Some are very intolerant of children playing, crying, or being too "loud". The visiting room echoes terribly and it is extremely loud especially when they are busy i.e. the weekends. Visits are 4 hours no matter what. Even though visiting is supposed to end at 5:30 some COs have recently started ending visits as early as 5:15 and making each table leave one at a time. There is no movement from around 2:30-3:30, sometimes as late as 4 so if you leave to use the restroom during that time you will be stuck at the gatehouse until they resume movement. The bathrooms are back at the gatehouse and you have to be shook down each time before you can return to the visiting room. Inmates have a bathroom in the visiting room but have to go back out and be strip searched before they can use the bathroom. It can take 10 mins to an hour for your inmate to get to the visiting room to start the visit. Twice they've "forgot" to call him for visits. As time has went on we've learned who to avoid and try to plan our visits around the more tolerable staff but there are still issues. I've noticed parents, etc. don't seem to have the issues wives, girlfriends, etc. seem to have so there's that.

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 12:01:06 AM »
Tmfreeman was pretty spot on. Some get by with skinny jeans some don't. Make sure they have pockets in front and back or the will be considered jeggins. Any hair accessories must be completely plastic. And when you is the bathroom during a visit whether it takes you 10 minutes or 2 hours it still counts toward your visit time. I also went from big muddy to Centralia and I will tell you it is like culture shock. The are supposed to be a lower security prison but there rules are ridiculous. I was at visit the other day and I am super short so I can't reach floor in the chairs so my back was aching I leaned forward just to stretch it our we were holding hands in center of table and the guard who is also is yells across the room with kids in it " get your hand away from her boobs they are getting to close to her boobs" ok I just leaned forward we have been visiting there almost a year never broke a rule if you really felt you needed to say something get off your lazy butt walk over and say it quietly don't announce to little kids that ment like to play with boobs
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 12:03:51 AM »
I should also warn you healthcare there is doctor Santos and he is ridiculous he takes away their meds and he thinks water is a cure all he literally told someone with a broken finger to rub water on it and told another guy who was bleeding internally from a broken mesh implant to drink water he will be fine and the one that had a bleeding disorder drink water you'll live he so be prepared to stay on the phone with Springfield and the warden constantly

Offline willied

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 07:32:57 PM »
Has anyone heard of an inmate being electrocuted at Centralia recently?  Because of faulty oven and cooking equiptment?   willied
 I believe it happened in June 11 2018, but I have note heard too much more about it.
 Is the cooking area safe?  I worry about my L/O  Thank you   willied

Offline meangene

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 07:56:16 PM »
My son was there and he told me his buddy was the one killed.  He said another man fixed a broken oven but did not do it correctly and that is why the man was electrocuted.

Offline tmfreeman

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 08:50:33 PM »
Apparently there had been ongoing issues with the kitchen equipment including that oven. It was shocking people before the incident where the man was killed but the inmates were told it was fixed. There were a few news stories in some of the Southern Illinois media but they didn't say much other than IDOC was investigating for what that's worth. They have been extremely cautious since that happened, locking them up every time it storms even though the weather had nothing to do with what happened. It was faulty wiring and shoddy repairs.

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 10:34:34 PM »
They temporarily suspended the electrician who worked on the oven but he is back now. They told them it was fine to use. They had been shocked so long the kitchen staff was daring them to touch the oven on different occasions. The following week another guy was shocked on the dishwasher. He was burned badly but survived. Centralia is one of the worst prisons in the state especially for a newer prison and for it to be a lower med security prison. The guards are lazy and condesending. They intentionally stir up argent's between the inmates and the doctor thinks water is the cure for every thing from a broken finger to a headache to a bleeding disease