• December 16, 2018, 09:36:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: VANDALIA Correctional Center  (Read 10161 times)

Offline ghostlyy

Re: Current Vandalia Correctional Info
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 10:55:41 AM »
 My bf is in Vandalia.... He signed up for classes as soon as he got there, 3.5 months ago and they still haven't gotten him in, citing that he didn't have enough time, so he was ineligible (If they'd gotten him in sooner, he would've had plenty of time). He has also inquired about a job but hasn't gotten anything. They screwed up my bfs phone list on the first try and took over a month and a half to fix it (they put his mom's # in wrong) but visiting just was approved within a week. Apparently some of the buildings are "condemned" he says but they house people in them anyway. Broken phones, broken microwaves, no air conditioning, etc. CJM poetry much explained it all.
I feel like my heart has been ripped out of my chest,
And even though you wont be gone long, it doesnt make it hurt any less.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 11:35:52 AM »
My bf is in Vandalia.... He signed up for classes as soon as he got there, 3.5 months ago and they still haven't gotten him in, citing that he didn't have enough time, so he was ineligible (If they'd gotten him in sooner, he would've had plenty of time). He has also inquired about a job but hasn't gotten anything. They screwed up my bfs phone list on the first try and took over a month and a half to fix it (they put his mom's # in wrong) but visiting just was approved within a week. Apparently some of the buildings are "condemned" he says but they house people in them anyway. Broken phones, broken microwaves, no air conditioning, etc. CJM poetry much explained it all.

Sometimes there are long waiting lists from guys that have gotten before, so they take the guys who have the most amount of time/waiting on lists and can finish the classes over buys who have short time. It's always been like this.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Tex999

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »
Thank you all for your comments. I talked to his counselor-who did not know if he had talked to him, said that it can take a long time for phone list ( blamed Securus) and visitors list. He told me that they are given plenty of clothes. ( which I did not believe) and that since he did not have a long sentence that he should get in classes soon. So sounds like he was just saying something to be saying something -whether true or not.I just hope he can get in classes soon! Thanks so much!

Offline smme7

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 12:24:30 AM »
My boyfriend arrived in January, it took about 2 weeks to approve the phone list and 3 to approve his visiting list. He got a job in the kitchen but once they put him in classes he had to choose that over a job. My LO chose to give up the class (not enough time to complete it) and was recently transferred to the work camp.
"I want to kiss you under the stars, hold you and never let you go. When I'm with you, my soul is happy"

Offline Tex999

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 03:21:05 PM »
Thanks for all the information. They told him it could be a while for classes or a job. I am keeping him busy with books,word searches and crosswords.It is sad because a lot of the guys get no mail at all. So they have a waiting list to read his books and the sports pages from the newspaper that I send.I wish they all had someone to write and send reading stuff for them. 

Offline Tex999

Re: VANDALIA Correctional Center
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 09:25:56 AM »
   I got to visit my loved one this Tuesday at Vandalia. It was really not as bad as I thought it would be. My daughter had a v neck t-shirt under a long sleeved  zip up top ( that was all the way zipped up) that she intended to keep on. She wore the same thing the other time she visited and had no problem. So the guard just said go to Walmart and immediately gave her directions. She went to the car and changed her top around and put the zipped top back on. It took a while to get checked in since they were not trained on the new computer system. There was not a lot of selection in vending machines. We got him a mostaciolli dinner and an Italian beef sandwich  before he was even in the visitors room since there were not many left.I was hoping they would have something healthy-like raw veggies or something. There were mostly mac & cheese cups left in the machine. All of the CO's seemed pretty nice ( at least in there). It was nice to see everyone visiting with family, and lots for little ones to do.We put $60 on the vending card and have some left for whoever visits next time. So if you have not been to visit yet it is not bad. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

Online blickly

Re: VANDALIA Correctional Center
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 07:58:10 PM »
MY lo today told me that they have stopped shipping people into Vandalia and they have A LOT of empty beds.. They used to ship in new people everyday however that has stopped and in fact have shipped alot of people out of Vandalia. Anyone know what is going on there and why they are not bringing in new inmates but in fact shipping some of them them out?