• February 20, 2019, 10:30:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Disability and Work Release  (Read 6447 times)

Offline hopeful.wife

Disability and Work Release
« on: June 13, 2015, 09:23:55 AM »
My husband is very ill and was on disability before he went away.  He got called for psych yesterday.  The doctor told him that he received a letter from Springfield about a work release request.  The doctor was going to sign off on it, but had questions about his medical file.  They talked about how sick my husband is and the doctor said work release would not be the best thing for him.  He advised my husband that if he gets work release, he should deny it for medical reasons and let a guy who could really use it have the opportunity.  That makes total sense and he would never want to stand in the way of a healthy person getting work release.  The doctor said he was going to note that EHD would be a better option for my husband due to his health. 
I am very confused...
1) How was a request made when my husband never requested work release?
2) Does this effect his chances of getting any SSC?
3) Would refusing work release hurt him in any way?
4) The doctor said the letter came from Springfield.  How long might it take to hear something once a thing like that has been signed?
I would appreciate any insight on this situation.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
Re: Disability and Work Release
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:09:28 PM »
Springfield generates a list of inmates who are, in theory, eligible for work release based on their time left, conviction, etc. It doesn't mean they are or will be approved, just that they are eligible to apply. And any inmate, provided they meet the criteria, can apply even if they are not on Springfield's list.
There will be no consequences if your husband does not apply for work release.

Offline hopeful.wife

Re: Disability and Work Release
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 02:31:30 PM »
Thank you