• February 23, 2019, 09:45:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Judge OKs New Illinois Policy Barring Solitary Confinement To Punish Juvenile  (Read 8532 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk

Judge OKs new Illinois policy barring solitary confinement to punish juvenile inmates

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS 
May 04, 2015 - 8:35 am EDT

CHICAGO — A federal judge in Chicago has approved new rules strictly barring juvenile detention centers in Illinois from using solitary confinement to punish detainees.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois and the Illinois Department of Juvenile Justice negotiated that policy change in an ongoing class-action lawsuit. The ACLU alleges solitary confinement can seriously damage inmates' mental health.

ACLU lawyer Adam Schwartz said in a Monday statement "ending solitary confinement is a mark of a forward-thinking agency." An agency spokesman didn't have an immediate comment Sunday evening.

Court filings indicate Judge Matthew Kennelly gave his OK in late April. Court-appointed monitors will oversee implementation.

Solitary confinement will be permitted in some cases if detainees are deemed a threat to themselves or others. But they usually must be released after 24 hours.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/64f8272b8cc54a30b6a0c6b0f87bdc5e/IL--Solitary-Confinement-Juveniles
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline sonshine

I'm glad to see this...I also think it hurts them mentally...I don't even want to think of the damage that it did to my son....it makes me really sad thinking about it...