• February 20, 2019, 10:31:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: State House Passes Bill Rewarding Inmates Who Pursue Education Behind Bars  (Read 41510 times)

Offline me

• Support Staff
Hi, What is that bill for?

Please see beginning of the thread. 

Offline smme7

Is this at a stand still...since they need summer breaks?
"I want to kiss you under the stars, hold you and never let you go. When I'm with you, my soul is happy"

Offline me

• Support Staff
They go on break after May 31st.  So we will see what happens tomorrow and Monday. 

Offline jaf

They go on break after May 31st.  So we will see what happens tomorrow and Monday. 

Summer break won't stop these now - they've passed both houses and are just waiting for the Governor to sign them. 

Offline Lu

Will this bill help Class X offenders in any way?   Will it include college level courses (if you can get them!)?

Offline smme7

Does the governor take a summer break? This is great news if he's bothering to sign anything right now!
"I want to kiss you under the stars, hold you and never let you go. When I'm with you, my soul is happy"

Offline me

• Support Staff

Summer break won't stop these now - they've passed both houses and are just waiting for the Governor to sign them. 

Correct - however we still have to wait for the Gov. to decide when he will sign them........

Offline jaf

Correct - however we still have to wait for the Gov. to decide when he will sign them........

:wc71-1:  of course!  I was just

meaning that the governor does not go on summer break, so they won't be stalled because of that.

He can choose when or if he's going to sign them.

Offline GoodGirl

The Gov has 60 days to decide if he will sign or veto (which I don't see happening).  The legislature must send the bill to the Governor within 30 days after it has passed both chambers.  If he doesn't do anything within 60 days, it automatically becomes a public act. I am hoping he just signs off on them once they come across his desk.
 :wc1:

Offline sonshine

ME TOO!!!## :wc64:  :wc73: drink to that...and I don't even drink....but I might start..lol after all of this...

Offline sonshine

I have a question..and it's probably not in the right spot so if not I'm really sorry mah...the time line on getting g in school....they take the ones with less time first right???? Is it when they have a year or less left???????

Offline trauma4us

School attendance is by your "outdate" that is correct.

I know there are several colleges in the US that do have prison-approved correspondence college level courses.  However, not sure if these would count towards the early release or not.

Offline Sunshine18

I'm sorry I'm a little confused on this bill, I've read everything that is posted but am getting mixed up on my interpretation more less!  This bill is for inmates to take GED classes no matter what their conviction is meaning violent, non-violent etc...and receive credit for these classes??  Am I understanding this correctly or is it only for non-violent offenders?
You are the first thought when I wake up, the last thought before I go to bed and every thought in between! I loved you yesterday, I love you today and I will always love you tomorrow! ♡♡☆☆♡♡

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
HB3884 is for any conviction, if they get their GED.

Offline robin in ohio

When does this take affect? My husband has done put in school time so will this time cut be added to him and if so when?

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
The Governor hasn't signed it yet. He has until August 18 to sign or veto. Not sure when it would take affect, immediately or January 1.

Offline robin in ohio

:wc38:

Offline Lu

To Trauma4us:   Do you have any college correspondence courses that are accepted in Illinois?   I would love to know what they are.  My son is interested in doing something with the time he has.  He has a high school diploma and some college.   

Offline eks1975

Lu: I know there are guys who take classes through Ohio University: https://www.ohio.edu/ecampus/print/correctional/

Danville has college classes from the U of I, but they don't offer a bachelor's degree yet.

Offline jaf

Check out the Americal School of Correspondence in Lancing, Illinoius.  It is an Accredited High School, and you'll find it on the Illinois State Board of Education's list of approved High Schools.   

One of very few actual correspondence schools anywhere around, because most have gone to online classes. 

They also offer College courses. 

My son is very near finishing his High School through there.