• September 23, 2018, 01:41:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: State House Passes Bill Rewarding Inmates Who Pursue Education Behind Bars  (Read 40740 times)

Offline kasa

My son is doing the GED classes, and has signed his contract.... Will the 90 also apply to him?

Offline smme7

KASA-I would say the 90 days would apply to him. Tell him to talk to his counselor.
Am I understanding this right, this would apply to ANY inmate, regardless of how many times they have been incarcerated and even if they have used a contract before?
"I want to kiss you under the stars, hold you and never let you go. When I'm with you, my soul is happy"

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
Yes anyone that received their GED while incarcerated either now in IDOC or in county awaiting to go to IDOC.

Offline trauma4us

But only GED?

Offline smme7

And it wouldn't matter what bid they are on? First, second or third?
"I want to kiss you under the stars, hold you and never let you go. When I'm with you, my soul is happy"

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
But only GED?

Yes on HB3884 the 90 day credit is only for GED.

And it wouldn't matter what bid they are on? First, second or third?

Also the way I read it I would say it don't matter how many times you have been incarcerated.

Offline smme7

:wc38:
That would be wonderful! So my other question is this...if it passes and goes through let's say....at the end of the month...when will it become effective??

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
It just depends some are effective immediately, some not until either July 1 for the new fiscal year or Jan 1 for the new year.

Offline smme7

I'm going to pray for immediately or fiscal year!!!

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
I just looked at the bill it does not say effective immediately... Sorry!

Offline jaf

Has anybody heard if the voted on these today? 

I had it on to listen and heard them begin, heard part of the opening prayer, left the room for a minute and all there was then was silence.  They must have gone into executive committee meeting or something.  I tuned in a couple of times later, , but only silence.

Offline sonshine

What station are you guys listening g to? I never knew anything about being able to listen in

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
You go to the Illinois general assembly page and select live audio. It will let you watch or listen to it.

Offline kasa

Thank you !!!!

Offline smme7

It looks to me that this could very easily be passed....but it also kinda looks like it's just sitting there. Can't the governor sign it to make it effective immediately? 

Offline sonshine

I have a ? My son just got into school and a couple days later got put in seg...Will that hurt his chances of getting back in school? His schooling is mandatory...please help me....

Offline sonshine

How long does it take for them to complete their ged in here?

Offline jaf

Good news! 

HB 3884 passed both in the House and the Senate.

HB 3149 is on the Senate calendar for 3rd reading. . . . maybe today!

Offline jaf

HB3149  passed through the Senate yesterday.

Now we wait for it to be signed into law by the governor!

Offline washwin5

Hi, What is that bill for?