• February 23, 2019, 09:46:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: District? What do these things mean!  (Read 3920 times)

Offline smme7

District? What do these things mean!
« on: March 08, 2015, 07:04:14 PM »
What does "referred to rules committee" mean in legislation when it's about a bill being passed? How do regular people like us support a bill?  How would I find out who is in my district rep to write them and urge them to support bills? I think I'm in the 8th judicial court. is that was district I am in? (I'm on spring break this week, which means I'll have plenty of time to make some noise as I call it)
  3/6/2015   House   House Committee Amendment No. 1 Filed with Clerk by Rep. Kelly M. Cassidy
  3/6/2015   House   House Committee Amendment No. 1 Referred to Rules Committee
What does that mean??
"I want to kiss you under the stars, hold you and never let you go. When I'm with you, my soul is happy"

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
Re: District? What do these things mean!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 08:18:43 PM »
The rules committee is a group of legislators that are part of that committee that listens to the legislator that proposed the bill. They vote on the bill if it passes the committee than it goes in front of the house if it passes the house than it goes to the senate. If it passes there then it goes to the governor to sign it in to law. The ammendment is something someone is adding to the bill.

http://www.housedem.state.il.us/GeneralAssembly.htm

this is the link to find out who your state rep is.

Hope this helps!

Offline smme7

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 05:37:37 PM »
That was helpful. I noticed a lot of bills went to the rules committee 2/26 but haven't gone much further. What's that mean?
"I want to kiss you under the stars, hold you and never let you go. When I'm with you, my soul is happy"

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 12:30:56 AM »
The rules committee looks over all filed bills. During the review, they can decide either to 1) immediately approve the bill and send it on to a vote, 2)ask for further review by another committee (finance, public works, etc.), or 3)decide to do nothing, effectively "killing" the bill.

Because many bills are filed each session, it takes time to sort through them all. It also happens, on occasion, that a legislator will ask that a bill be "held" if they are still trying to gain enough votes to get it passed.

Offline humbird37

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 10:17:24 AM »
Are they doing anything with the "truth in sentencing?"
Yesterday he helped me, today he did the same!
How long will he continue? Forever....Praise his name!

Offline smme7

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 11:49:06 PM »
Thank you very much marks guy. I don't care to read things I don't understand so I had to ask questions!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 09:05:47 AM »
Are they doing anything with the "truth in sentencing?"

I think Art Turner was going to present something, I have not seen anything yet though.  We will post if it happens.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline humbird37

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 01:15:04 PM »
Thanks Mah.....If "they" would or could do something to get rid of that, it may mean a lot to a lot of inmates....my son being one of them!

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 03:42:26 PM »
You and me both Humbird....the truth in sentencing law seems fine on paper but in reality falls short in many areas.

Offline precious angel

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 11:53:30 PM »
I too, hope the truth and sentencing gets banished because I just heard that several state prisons are running g out of money to pay the guards and needing several thousand more for 11 state prisons and with more inmates spells more troubles in prison systems when we don't have enough guards to protect our loved ones from the troubled ones. I am still praying for it to happen soon!!! My fiance needs to be with his mother who has cancer and not sure if she is going to make it in the next couple months. We all need to pray for the truth in sentencing to be banished!

Offline humbird37

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 04:31:29 PM »
Amen!

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.